Washington/Wabash Station Build

BusHunter

While I was in the loop I decided to look in on the Washington/Wabash project, and man they seem to have some deep holes they dug right next to the structure. Please tell me there is a slow zone there. o.O (Hopefully the Skokie crew is not down there.) They appear to be doing a sewer project under the structure. I took some pictures. These peek a boo holes are not bad. xD There appears to be new steel under the structure. I'm trying to figure out is that to support the structure or for the new station. 

hole_beneath_the_structure_today.thumb.P

elevated_pier_on_shaky_ground_today.thum

cta_washington_wabash_hole.thumb.PNG.918

new_steel_under_wabash_l_today.thumb.PNG

• Upvote 3

While I was in the loop I decided to look in on the Washington/Wabash project, and man they seem to have some deep holes they dug right next to the structure. Please tell me there is a slow zone there. o.O (Hopefully the Skokie crew is not down there.) They appear to be doing a sewer project under the structure. I took some pictures. These peek a boo holes are not bad. xD There appears to be new steel under the structure. I'm trying to figure out is that to support the structure or for the new station. 

hole_beneath_the_structure_today.thumb.P

elevated_pier_on_shaky_ground_today.thum

cta_washington_wabash_hole.thumb.PNG.918

new_steel_under_wabash_l_today.thumb.PNG

Well hell, I was not too far from you!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yay, they finally have finished the below ground excavation here. Maybe now they can start making progress. I went over there today to see why they closed this section on the weekend. They seemed to have removed a span of track and replaced it with a totally new structure. i took some pics, not the clearest but I am looking through plastic.

wash wabash track work north 6-21-16.PNG

wash wabash track work 6-21-16.PNG

If you notice the old spans were lower than the new ones. You can see that comparing both spans old and new. This is sort of like a bridge. I wonder how this looks on the right of way.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took another flyby of both trackside stations first nb then sb, (east side and then west side) as well as took a few pictures at street level at times it was snowing heavily as you can see in one of the shots.

https://youtu.be/h45U5mLVqcM

Here are some additional pictures I shot at street level. Looks like the stair and escalator setups are similar to Washington/Wells.

washington wabash street level.png

washington wabash street level 2.png

washington wabash street level 3.png

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I took another flyby of both trackside stations first nb then sb, (east side and then west side) as well as took a few pictures at street level at times it was snowing heavily as you can see in one of the shots.

https://youtu.be/h45U5mLVqcM

These videos give a better perspective of where the elevator shafts will be. Any indication where the fare collection area is supposed to be?

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

These videos give a better perspective of where the elevator shafts will be. Any indication where the fare collection area is supposed to be?

Like I said it appears to mirror Washington/Wells, so it sounds like in an under track mezzanine. If you follow the steel roofline on the staircase it only goes halfway up to the structure so it will be going most likely to this mezzanine.

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Like I said it appears to mirror Washington/Wells, so it sounds like in an under track mezzanine. If you follow the steel roofline on the staircase it only goes halfway up to the structure so it will be going most likely to this mezzanine.

Looks like there will have to be another elevator from street level to the mezzanine.

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Looks like there will have to be another elevator from street level to the mezzanine.

I appears the outside of the platforms will house the elevators and they are roughly a 1/4 block south of Washington, half a block from Washington is an elevator shaft going to the street so that would appear to be correct. I took an additional picture of an elevator shaft going to the street maybe I can upload that later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a flyby of the Washington/Wabash reconstruction along with a few pictures at street level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbxGzv_impY

Here's a couple shots taken at Washington/Wabash at street level showing the open street and status of construction.

58eea0b4a8eef_washwabashstreet.thumb.png.076d43211a143daeec9b32767762886c.png

58eea0bbc1340_washwabashstreet2.thumb.png.cfec9c21bf49454169d702549b3c3b24.png

Here's a final shot taken from Madison/Wabash showing the construction from that end.

58eea0c319f7a_washmadisonstreet.thumb.png.a4d5acb6264b4bae09552aff4d1971a4.png

• Upvote 2

• garmon757 pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

They are finally working on the extended part of the platform at wash/wabash. I filmed it 3 days ago and have yet to upload it. (Maybe i can upload that tonight) I was trippin' I was looking at the stairs and noticed not only did they put this ribbed design on the canopy. It will be on the stairs as well. I should have a picture of that too.

I was also checking out Quincy/wells. It seems there is some street construction in the area of the elevator but i need to see it from the street to confirm exactly whats up 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 2:52 PM, cta5658 said:

From what I've seen on the Project Progress on the Washington/Wabash station site, the pre-cast platform part is complete

Yeah it's done, i shot a video on the 20th, but an Orange line crossed in front of me. 9_9 It shows the south exit stairs.