Washington/Wabash Station Build

BusHunter

• 4 weeks later...

Here's A flyby at washington/Wabash slated open next month. They have already began putting in signage. Let me see if I can upload a few pictures.

Here's a shot of some new signage. There's also a platform sign.

596ffb9884e4e_Washingtonwabashsignage.thumb.png.5ed93d8ba3a427dc7e48ef41df3568fe.png

Hmm, even ribs on the elevator....

596ffba9d9c34_Washingtonwabashribsonelevator.thumb.png.59da821ec54a92de182f411879f49d0b.png

I thought it was kind of neat they have the CTA emblem mosaic into the steel ribs. I wonder how they managed to do that. With alot of designing and computers???

596ffbc39d953_CTAemblemonstation.thumb.png.d3c0c0355495e692dcb734ba02e24678.png

13 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I thought it was kind of neat they have the CTA emblem mosaic into the steel ribs. I wonder how they managed to do that. With alot of designing and computers???

I'm not sure to what you are referring (the left side of the tower in full screen view), but anything can be CAD CAM these days.

• Kevin unpinned this topic
On 7/14/2017 at 3:16 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

According to dna info....."

A new "L" stop under construction at Wabash Avenue and Washington Street will open by Labor Day, a city official says.

Transportation officials hope to open the new Downtown CTA station by the end of August with a Labor Day deadline in sight, said Susan Hofer, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Department of Transportation."

DH

I guess this is end of one of my favorite  stations  which is Randolph and Wabash. The station featured indoor seating  on the southbound  side and was a great place to  wait for a train in winter.  I don't know  if that was the  original  design  of that station or a remodeling.  I wonder when they will announce this station closure.

Rode through the Washington/Wabash station multiple times on my visit to Chicago last week - to my untrained eye it looked like an awful lot of finish work still to be done, but a Labor Day weekend opening doesn't seem impossible.

Spent some time photographing Randolph/Wabash, with trains and without.  I'll miss having a station right next to a 'corner' of the Loop like that.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I guess this is end of one of my favorite  stations  which is Randolph and Wabash. The station featured indoor seating  on the southbound  side and was a great place to  wait for a train in winter.  I don't know  if that was the  original  design  of that station or a remodeling.  I wonder when they will announce this station closure.

The Inner Loop station house was rebuilt, I think in1963 & Marshall Field's paid for a big chunk of that, because at that time, there was a direct entrance to the mezzanine from the second floor of Field's [through the china department].

Here is my latest flyby at Washington/Wabash. They have installed alot of signs in the last week and are now testing the platform lighting. I think that's really cool how they built that right into the rib. Should look good at night. First is the sb side, then second is the nb side. Station is looking almost completed

Here's my flyby for 8-15-17. Give me a few minutes as I upload more pics and videos of stuff I want to discuss.

I uploaded a video showing a panorama of the sidewalk from the south end of the structure showing the freshly painted structure, lighting and stairways. Things are coming along nicely.

Here's a few shots I took under the station. Looking at the elevator it almost looks like Morgan/Lake's design, but then again we have an elevator tower on the east side of the street with the mosaic I was talking about before. I can't tell if that goes to the street or not. Maybe just the mezzanine. (we are starting to get some good peeks at the construction regardless)

5994f6fcc9002_washingtonwabashelevatorstreet.thumb.png.31dc3ce80d189aed9d857d465e2be53b.png

I was trying to show the platform lighting here but it doesn't seem to show up. Must look good at night though. If you notice the rib canopy lighting is continuous, but the platform rib lighting is spaced apart in 3 or 4 light sets, again hopefully the canopy lighting is bright, looks like it needs the LED treatment or perhaps wrap the interior of the lightboxes in shiny metal so it reflects. 

5994f6ec1e8b3_washingtonwabashplatformfromstreet.thumb.png.cb455e29ccda675a954a7ffad626374d.png

Here we have the main entrance with escalator and stairway both together on the corner. I don't know how safe that is but at least they put some concrete blocks in front of it. Don't want no Cermak-Chinatown remembrances!! (trucks going up the escalator, news video on my youtube account) It's somewhat ironic they put the "safety is our Paschen" here as I can remember several instances of cars going up on the sidewalk here. Better reinforce those blocks guys, they are going to get a test as a replay is probably inevitable. Alot of money putting an escalator there but I guess it beats putting the elevator there which is more money if it gets damaged.

5994f6f41e45c_Washingtonwabashentrance.thumb.png.d2ed32af5625c558854849f84ccc0875.png

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Washington/Wabash & Randolph/Wabash will be in service together during the Labor Day weekend, with Randolph officially closing on September 3rd at 2:30 am.

When I first saw that alert at my station, I was wondering why they would keep the stations open together. I guess I now know why.

29 minutes ago, KedziePink said:

When I first saw that alert at my station, I was wondering why they would keep the stations open together. I guess I now know why.

I'm not sure the reason? Why close Randolph mid Sunday afternoon, instead of at, say as last Brown Line trip Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night?

27 minutes ago, KedziePink said:

First it would be disruptive to close a station during the work week and second, because the city wanted a September deadline, which is being met 3 days earlier than anticipated. 

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

I'm not sure the reason? Why close Randolph mid Sunday afternoon, instead of at, say as last Brown Line trip Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night?

2:30 AM not PM. You had me going there for a minute. I was like well what happens if your on the platform and it closes. :P

Here is my latest flyby taken 8-21-17. I've included a flyby of Randolph/Wabash for all the nostalgic buffs out there. Just think within 10 days of this shooting Randolph Wabash will be gone. Maybe next week I'll do a photo/video shoot at Randolph. We'll see. I didn't really see too much changes in the last week at Washington/Wabash other than all the signs seem to be installed. I can't tell if there is going to be a canopy or just ribs. If not bring your umbrellas!!

48 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Here is my latest flyby taken 8-21-17. I've included a flyby of Randolph/Wabash for all the nostalgic buffs out there. Just think within 10 days of this shooting Randolph Wabash will be gone. Maybe next week I'll do a photo/video shoot at Randolph. We'll see. I didn't really see too much changes in the last week at Washington/Wabash other than all the signs seem to be installed. I can't tell if there is going to be a canopy or just ribs. If not bring your umbrellas!!

My prediction is by early next week or this weekend, they'll add the canopy covers for the southern exits

10 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

Will CTA retain the State/Lake 'L' station or demolish it?

My guess is that it will get replaced with a new set of platforms in the near future. It's a really narrow platform & some people are actually afraid to use it. It's also a long climb to the platform without a mezzanine & no elevator, so not handicapped accessible. Probably only one side at a time will get replaced.

1 hour ago, geneking7320 said:

Will CTA retain the State/Lake 'L' station or demolish it?

There have been various plans, including a CMAQ application that was killed by CMAP staff because they gave priority to RPM. I also suppose that the stink about the Thompson Center would engender doubts about easements needed in buildings for elevators and direct access to the subway station.