Chicago's Turn of Events

sw4400

I am going to be very briefly OT here....

I hope that these protests are brought down to simply peaceful now.... it's terrible how some protestors went and damaged a festive Christmas Tree in Millennium Park last night. With the Holiday Train ready to hit the rails tomorrow again(schedules can be found here) and the Holiday Bus, it would be a disgusting act to see the work of the CTA Employees damaged if these destructive protests continue. Keep them peaceful!!! It's your right to protest, but don't damage property when you do!

Story

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

I hope that these protests are brought down to simply peaceful now.... it's terrible how some protestors went and damaged a festive Christmas Tree in Millennium Park last night. With the Holiday Train ready to hit the rails tomorrow again(schedules can be found here) and the Holiday Bus, it would be a disgusting act to see the work of the CTA Employees damaged if these destructive protests continue. Keep them peaceful!!! It's your right to protest, but don't damage property when you do!

Story

It's already bad enough to witness a rail operator's son traumatized this past Tuesday. 

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Story

Don't give them any ideas. This will probably be a nightly event in the loop for awhile. This is probably going to put a damper on downtown chicago business, because who would want to be around this. Anything can happen and probably will. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point of the national guard being called but the police could use the extra support. I think it's moreless hooligan's that are doing the destruction not really the protesters. Unfortunately there are just people out there looking to start problems and this is there opportunity to do it. I wonder if the tree gets extra security tonight?

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

Don't give them any ideas. This will probably be a nightly event in the loop for awhile. This is probably going to put a damper on downtown chicago business, because who would want to be around this. Anything can happen and probably will. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point of the national guard being called but the police could use the extra support. I think it's moreless hooligan's that are doing the destruction not really the protesters. Unfortunately there are just people out there looking to start problems and this is there opportunity to do it. I wonder if the tree gets extra security tonight?

I doubt anyone will "get any ideas" from reading this. The "people looking to start problems" go to the protest with the same intent as everyone else: to protest. But soon their violent tendencies take over. They didn't get the idea from reading it online, they made the decision on the spot. Fortunately, this protest (so far) hasn't led to more severe violence or rioting due to "mob mentality".

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Don't give them any ideas.

17 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I doubt anyone will "get any ideas" from reading this.

As for a transit point, at least we haven't heard "bus service has been stopped on Roosevelt because they are burning down the whole west side" like they did in 1968.

Also, the "Quote this" works.

17 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I doubt anyone will "get any ideas" from reading this. The "people looking to start problems" go to the protest with the same intent as everyone else: to protest. But soon their violent tendencies take over. They didn't get the idea from reading it online, they made the decision on the spot. Fortunately, this protest (so far) hasn't led to more severe violence or rioting due to "mob mentality".

17 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Eh... as someone who was out there no we are not out here to burn downtown down, we were simply expressing frustration at the constant killings and the fact that everyone treats a black mans death as if he deserves it. Yes we tore a few lights off a tree, sue us... but no way in hell were we out here with the intent to loot, raze and pilage or instill fear upon all of Chicago the way these over dramatic news reports have portrayed. Most of the protest was us starting a chant, then running off to a new area, reassembling in a new point and resuming our chant for a few moments till police located us in which we ran again to keep them confused. So we made the police get off their asses and chase, big deal it COULD go down like in Ferguson... just saying, this is real mild compared to what the news is portraying. Dont worry, Ralphie and the Santa Express will be safe. ??

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

we are not out here to burn downtown down

No one said you are, just that protests have been known to escalate into riots.

33 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Yes we tore a few lights off a tree

31 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

So we made the police get off their asses and chase

Hardly seems like a "peaceful" protest. Good thing the "racist" police were there to stop it from getting worse.

13 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

No one said you are, just that protests have been known to escalate into riots.

Hardly seems like a "peaceful" protest. Good thing the "racist" police were there to stop it from getting worse.

Lol bro lets be real.... we coulda easily madr it escalate if we were really on that. And i never said the cops at the protest were racist lol. All we were down there to do was voice our opinion and bring attention to chicago's issue. The tree was more an attention grabber than a violent gesture. So we made the cops chase us.... no harm was done. Theres no trash in the streets, no windows broken, no people throwing punches and raging. I'd say it coulda been way worse but we're not down there to be violent or cause hell contrary to what the news portrays. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sam92 said:

we coulda easily made it escalate if we were really on that

You keep saying "we", as though everyone at the protest has the exact same thoughts. You, specifically, did not intend to cause violence, and I applaud you for that. But some people have more violent tendencies, as I described in my post above.

2 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

i never said the cops at the protest were racist

To clarify what I meant: I know you didn't make this claim. But some of the people at the protest believe this. And, inevitably there are plenty of people watching on TV who interpret the police as racist, which the media can then make into sensational news stories. Things escalate from there.

21 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

All we were down there to do was voice our opinion and bring attention to chicago's issue. The tree was more an attention grabber than a violent gesture. So we made the cops chase us.... no harm was done.

I figure that so long as you exercise your First Amendment rights within the parameters of the First Amendment, that's your business, but I don't see how getting out in the cold rain or pulling down Christmas tree lights is going to motivate the no listen Emanuel administration to do anything. Even at some point, Channels 7 and 9 will become bored. Already there are developments in the Tyshawn Lee/79th St. gang war case that show that violence works both ways.

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Eh... as someone who was out there no we are not out here to burn downtown down, we were simply expressing frustration at the constant killings and the fact that everyone treats a black mans death as if he deserves it. Yes we tore a few lights off a tree, sue us... but no way in hell were we out here with the intent to loot, raze and pilage or instill fear upon all of Chicago the way these over dramatic news reports have portrayed. Most of the protest was us starting a chant, then running off to a new area, reassembling in a new point and resuming our chant for a few moments till police located us in which we ran again to keep them confused. So we made the police get off their asses and chase, big deal it COULD go down like in Ferguson... just saying, this is real mild compared to what the news is portraying. Dont worry, Ralphie and the Santa Express will be safe. ??

Let's end this conversation on this subject here, please. Any further conversation is ok among the members, but let's keep it in the PM.... I don't know if this will continue to be a growing thread on an OT subject for awhile, but this is not the forum for it. To sum it all up..... I'm totally 100% for a peaceful protest, but any sort of destruction is, IMO, unwarranted. Make your message heard with signs & chants. The police show up to any and all gatherings and protests... that's their job to make sure they remain peaceful.

Any further responses regarding this topic, please keep to PM's, please.... I wish to keep this thread more on topic about Random CTA happenings.

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

You want to protest fine, go ahead it's your right no one is stopping you, but when people damage property they are crossing the line that's all i'm saying. Frankly I don't know why you are protesting. The officer is in jail without bail and that would be justice. I hate to see what happens if he gets off. I hated to see them release the video, because a few seconds doesn't show the entire ordeal. While yes he is shot walking along the street he was carrying a knife, you can see that. I doubt he was out to carve a turkey!! No one is asking where was he before and what was he doing? The guy was on drugs and he will not respond to commands by anyone because he has no fear. So should they let him walk the streets with a knife on drugs? Attempt arrest on an unresponsive man who will probably strike as soon as you touch him? You could see in his walk he was pumped with adrenaline. I'm sure he was ordered to dropped the weapon. Now I don't know if I would have shot to kill him, probably a tazer is all they would need or a shot to the leg but would that have stopped him? Just because he is wounded doesn't mean he still can't strike. This really borders on excessive force and that will be what is decided in a court of law, but isn't murder one premeditated? I doubt this was planned. Why not just charge the officer with manslaughter? So people just need to calm down and let justice decide this man's fate. Whatever happened with innocent until proven guilty?

Back to our scheduled programming!! :)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

isn't murder one premeditated? I doubt this was planned. Why not just charge the officer with manslaughter?

You are correct that first degree murder is premeditated. In many instances, that charge is brought even when the killing does not appear to be premeditated because the jury can always find them guilty of a lesser count, second degree murder or manslaughter. Second degree basically means there was intent to kill that is not premeditated. Manslaughter is killing someone because of negligence, but without the intent to kill (in other words, the defendant is at fault for accidental killing). I think the jury will probably dismiss first degree, a good case can be made for second degree, but even if they don't believe that he's bound to at least get manslaughter.

28 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

... I think the jury will probably dismiss first degree, a good case can be made for second degree, but even if they don't believe that he's bound to at least get manslaughter.

Since we want to ignore sw:

The Servin case brings up the curious result that a killer cop was acquitted of manslaughter since he should have been charged with murder. I don't know what the exact charges are here (what the Tribune published as the "charges" was only a statement of why he shouldn't get bail), but I'm sure the argument is that pumping 16 shots and reloading was no accident.

BTW, 720 ILCS 5/9-1 (first degree murder) does not refer to premeditation. Second degree (section 9-2) is only if the defendant had an unfounded belief that the killing was justified, which may apply here.

The big question in this is why did he keep shooting him? Does the video show all the shots? I think once an officer starts shooting that anyone else who is not going to "hold their wad" might shoot him. I would have to say there's a possibility he was shot by many officers as 16 shots is too much for even one policeman. What is that 2 reloads?

42 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The big question in this is why did he keep shooting him? Does the video show all the shots? I think once an officer starts shooting that anyone else who is not going to "hold their wad" might shoot him. I would have to say there's a possibility he was shot by many officers as 16 shots is too much for even one policeman. What is that 2 reloads?

It's been reported that the same officer fired all 16 shots, which apparently is the maximum number of shots before reloading is required for that specific gun.

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Associated posts (including mine) have been moved to this topic due to consistent irrelevancy. Please keep it civil with decency and respect towards each other while we're trying to get over this unfortunate installment of violence plaguing this city and this country. 

Yes, please everyone.... keep it civil. Thank you, Garmon. I only mentioned it because of what transpired in Millennium Park and the concern that it could occur again on the CTA Holiday vehicles, forcing them to be pulled for the year, which would be sad & depressing.

We can continue to discuss this here, but please.... keep it civil.

• Kevin unpinned and unfeatured this topic
23 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Yes, please everyone.... keep it civil. Thank you, Garmon. I only mentioned it because of what transpired in Millennium Park and the concern that it could occur again on the CTA Holiday vehicles, forcing them to be pulled for the year, which would be sad & depressing.

Lol I assure you the bus will be spared (if it theres even a bus this year cause I the site doesnt advertise it plus i think 4336 is still out there in regular paint). The news is making a mountain from a mole hill to be honest. Aside from the tree the only thing we've done is run to another location reassemble and chant. You all can do downtown right now and it would look like nothing even took place. Not a single piece of broken glass to be found considering "ruthless crowds have been rampaging" :lol: . 

• Upvote 1

On Fri Nov 27 2015 16:21:58 GMT-0600, sw4400 said:

Ok so thats one part of the question answered.... second one is which one is the chosen bus?

35 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Looks like someone wasn't civil, and that was the cause of the alert at the U of C (Tribune, might be behind paywall).

Can't access it due to paywall(maybe they are funding Donald Chump.... I mean Trump's campaign?). ABC7 has the story, but it's all G-Rated, no mention as to motive, just one suspect in custody for the email threat to U of C.

42 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Can't access it due to paywall(maybe they are funding Donald Chump.... I mean Trump's campaign?). ABC7 has the story, but it's all G-Rated, no mention as to motive, just one suspect in custody for the email threat to U of C.

The take there (maybe you can get it through Google News) was that someone at UIC posted something on some hip hop site that he was going to kill 16 whites to avenge the 16 bullets, and then kill himself.

Slate sort of has it.