20 years ago New Flyer LF buses first appeared

MRChiCity

50 minutes ago, MRChiCity said:

Good afternoon, 

This is the 20 year anniversary of the original New Flyer LF buses. I remember them for being the only bus besides the TMC's to have a back window,  I also remember them for having a silver smoke stack on the top. Anyone want to chime in, thanks. 

Man I wish there were more of them back then to where other garages could have some. I remember as I kid seeing them downtown but as I (nor the person with me) had no reason to go in the areas those buses serviced the closest thing I had to experiencing a ride on them were the 6000's. Well at least as far as engine sounds go anyway :lol:

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Man I wish there were more of them back then to where other garages could have some. I remember as I kid seeing them downtown but as I (nor the person with me) had no reason to go in the areas those buses serviced the closest thing I had to experiencing a ride on them were the 6000's. Well at least as far as engine sounds go anyway :lol:

35 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I remember driving a New Flyer LF for the first time.  It drove very well.  Then months after we (the company I worked for at the time) had them, we sent one to the CTA Kedzie garage as they wanted to look at them.  Then CTA ordered theirs that all went to North Park (5800 series).

It was just a test to see if a low floor bus worked. Obviously, Nova got the production order.

40 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Yes but the first New Flyers came in 1995, the Novas didn't come until a few years later. 

I don't see how that's relevant. The 20th anniversary of the 330 Flxs (6000 series) just passed, too, meaning that they were acquired at the same time. I don't see anyone commemorating that, but that took care of replacing all of the New Looks. So, apparently there wasn't a need for ~5 years. When it came to replacing the old Flyers, the Novas took care of that.

42 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I don't see how that's relevant. The 20th anniversary of the 330 Flxs (6000 series) just passed, too, meaning that they were acquired at the same time. I don't see anyone commemorating that, but that took care of replacing all of the New Looks. So, apparently there wasn't a need for ~5 years. When it came to replacing the old Flyers, the Novas took care of that.

Its relevant in that the thread is about the 5800s being CTA's first low floor buses.  YOU brought  up the Novas.

6 hours ago, Sam92 said:

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Its relevant in that the thread is about the 5800s being CTA's first low floor buses.  YOU brought  up the Novas.

Sam92 brought up the point. Maybe I hit quote to the wrong post.

13 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

Which garages had them other then NP? 

NP had the 5800-Series pretty exclusively from 1995 until their retirement. FG did, however get a few of them I believe after NP got some of the newer New Flyers. Couple of things to point out......

• 5800-5860 & 5864 were powered with a Detroit Diesel Series-50 engine.
  • 5861-5863 were powered with a Cummins C8.3 engine until post-rehab. Then they were outfitted with a Detroit Series-50

There are some forum members that say 5802 had the Cummins engine, too. But I don't remember that bus having the Cummins engine too, and I rode NP routes frequently. Series-50 engines had a curved exhaust pipe in the top rear left of the bus. The Cummins had a short, stumpy pipe with a element protector over it like the 6000's had. These buses also sounded a bit like a Nova at idle.

On 11/30/2015, 1:04:02, sw4400 said:

NP had the 5800-Series pretty exclusively from 1995 until their retirement. FG did, however get a few of them I believe after NP got some of the newer New Flyers. Couple of things to point out......

• 5800-5860 & 5864 were powered with a Detroit Diesel Series-50 engine.
  • 5861-5863 were powered with a Cummins C8.3 engine until post-rehab. Then they were outfitted with a Detroit Series-50

There are some forum members that say 5802 had the Cummins engine, too. But I don't remember that bus having the Cummins engine too, and I rode NP routes frequently. Series-50 engines had a curved exhaust pipe in the top rear left of the bus. The Cummins had a short, stumpy pipe with a element protector over it like the 6000's had. These buses also sounded a bit like a Nova at idle.

Actually 5864 had the Cummins engine as well. I remember riding it several times on the #147 a number of times when it did. It like the other Cummins powered buses didn't have Detroit Diesels until after the rehab of that series.

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Actually 5864 had the Cummins engine as well. I remember riding it several times on the #147 a number of times when it did. It like the other Cummins powered buses didn't have Detroit Diesels until after the rehab of that series.

I wonder why CTA didn't just rehab the Cummins C8.3 engines in them, instead replacing them with the Detroit Series-50.

8 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

I wonder why CTA didn't just rehab the Cummins C8.3 engines in them, instead replacing them with the Detroit Series-50.

They were saying at the time they wanted the particulate filters "just like in the NABIs." Apparently did not work out for either.