Spring Pick 2016

renardo870

16 minutes ago, jajuan said:

It's likely no different than him driving for 103rd which as BH pointed out serves the Roseland area which is about just as rough. And as we can see CTA85 is still here and in one piece. And CTA5750 drove for Kedzie garage which also serves some rough areas, he too fortunately is still here. 74th country isn't the only place you can get shot. As a matter of fact how many operators have we heard of being shot? Not many if any at all.

As Sam pointed out, east-west routes from 74th you're likely going to relieve at Ashland and north-south at 74th Street or 75th Street along the #75. #49 you might be relieving at the 79th Western terminal though. And of course for #94 right at the garage itself since the layover is done on the side of the garage from the training map Andre showed a scan of when that route first got extended to Damen/74th.

Thanks for that relief info buddy I'll keep that in mind when it's time to pick my routes ??.

Seems like whenever I hear something happen it's on the #63, #67 or #75, so probably those have the highest risk. I don't know for sure, but I think 74th passes by less schools than 103rd. School runs are when you have to be on your toes and some school runs can be rough. Probably the best route for reliefs is #94, but it always gets killed on Friday. There's always packs of 4 and 5 buses coming through the Orange line and it has crazy traffic from the jail to the Orange line.

As far as shots, I think 5750 said his Jackson bus was shot at the night the bulls won the championship. (forget which year that was maybe '97)

One thought about artics on #9 is the route itself and clearances. I've never rode the route fully to 95th or Beverly/103rd. The furthest south I've ever gone is Division. But if the bus is required to make tight turns, or go under low clearance viaducts further south(maybe under 11.5-12'), the buses may have issues due to the roof pods on the hybrids and the HVAC units on those as well as on the D60LFR's.

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

One thought about artics on #9 is the route itself and clearances. I've never rode the route fully to 95th or Beverly/103rd. The furthest south I've ever gone is Division. But if the bus is required to make tight turns, or go under low clearance viaducts further south(maybe under 11.5-12'), the buses may have issues due to the roof pods on the hybrids and the HVAC units on those as well as on the D60LFR's.

Ashland Ave is a truck route so there are no clearance issues to 95th.   The only turn is into the Orange Line station which is  possible. The tightest turn would be from 103rd to Beverly,  but that's an easier turn than the 26 makes from WB 83rd to SB Exchange. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Not true, last summer I did ashland from 95th all the way to irving park in a artic. They had some concert or event going on by ashlsnd and lake and 103rd usually helps out during that time. We would be in service from 95th and ashland to madison then go park the buses close by the United Center till the supervisor needed us to help out. It was cool too! I even made that turn you make to pull up in at the orange line stop. Its a long ride but you can do that route in a artic with no clearance problems.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Looks like I'm going back to 103rd (again - 3rd time...). Probably will pick late work, very likely 34/119. I am tired of the ungodly congestion on the nw side.

You a operator andre? That's cool I never knew. Do you know if they put the results out for the pick yet? Lol

On 2/2/2016 at 1:35 PM, sw4400 said:

On 2/2/2016 at 4:31 PM, artthouwill said:

Ashland Ave is a truck route so there are no clearance issues to 95th.   The only turn is into the Orange Line station which is  possible. The tightest turn would be from 103rd to Beverly,  but that's an easier turn than the 26 makes from WB 83rd to SB Exchange. 

Don't forget their is that very sharp left turn from Clark on to Southport to head back south. I saw a few artics from 103rd doing that Clark/Belle Plaine layover during that concert that CTA85 mentioned. I was surprised that they had those artics come that far north because of that turn. It's a much tighter turn than that of the #26 at 83rd Street and Exchange. But clearance issues on Ashland itself are nonexistent as stated. As I stated before the deal with getting any artics on Ashland if Kedzie does share any coverage is one of availability. Kedzie typically doesn't have many extra available on weekdays which from the mention of possible school runs is when Kedzie would have a share of the Ashland pie. And school runs are typically 3 or 4 buses on average per route at most.  So still don't expect much on the artic front. 

1 hour ago, Brandon93 said:

I heard a rumor that 74th is losing Ashland and Western to 77th. I don't know how true that is I can see Western at 77th but Ashland not so much and 74th is getting the 52A and 53A back.

That was the rumor for a long time but in the end I believe 74th is keeping 9/49 and 77th keeping 52/53A (could be totally wrong but last I heard they were keeping those routes where they are at). 

2 hours ago, Brandon93 said:

I heard a rumor that 74th is losing Ashland and Western to 77th. I don't know how true that is I can see Western at 77th but Ashland not so much and 74th is getting the 52A and 53A back.

I heard the same thing about the 9 and 49 going to 77th but I can assure you that's not going to happen. And 52A 53A will remain at 77th. But 77th suppose to be getting 3 more routes they'll be sharing with kedzie this spring pick. Those routes will be the 120, 121, and 125. Now if that don't happen don't beat me up guys I saw those routes on 77th list they had during the system pick.

33 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I heard the same thing about the 9 and 49 going to 77th but I can assure you that's not going to happen. And 52A 53A will remain at 77th. But 77th suppose to be getting 3 more routes they'll be sharing with kedzie this spring pick. Those routes will be the 120, 121, and 125. Now if that don't happen don't beat me up guys I saw those routes on 77th list they had during the system pick.

77th would be the last garage I thought of to have the 120, 121, and the 125 I thought of either Chicago possibly North Park would share those routes.

41 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I thought 77th was getting those routes exclusively with them interlining two downtown routes together,  but it is interesting to see them share it. I remember the days where a bunch of garages shared those routes (I might be dreaming).

22 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Looks like I'm going back to 103rd (again - 3rd time...). Probably will pick late work, very likely 34/119. I am tired of the ungodly congestion on the nw side.

What congestion??? :P It's all this road construction/detours that need to go. #152 is sol until Mar 4th, (like to see them just try this during mlb's regular season)  Narragansett's been detouring for 3 months and Montrose has been detouring for like a whole year. I know some operators who have flocked to #77 overnights. They seem to be staying there too like they are happy with it. I personally don't like overnights, but to each their own.

As far as 103rd, you're not worried about Altgeld Gardens in the overnight?

The denouement of the rumor mill is consistent with Renardo's first post. Not wholesale shifts, and downtown routes from 77th are probably interlines, using the buses destined to be stored on lower Wacker.

I thought 77th was getting those routes exclusively with them interlining two downtown routes together,  but it is interesting to see them share it. I remember the days where a bunch of garages shared those routes (I might be dreaming).

Maybe not so long ago, or maybe it is. For instance 74th had 123,

On 2/2/2016 at 10:38 AM, jajuan said:

As Sam pointed out, east-west routes from 74th you're likely going to relieve at Ashland and north-south at 74th Street or 75th Street along the #75. #49 you might be relieving at the 79th Western terminal though. And of course for #94 right at the garage itself since the layover is done on the side of the garage from the training map Andre showed a scan of when that route first got extended to Damen/74th.

You know what's kind of goofy about 74th reliefs is, why are they relieving at Ashland when that's at least two bus rides from the garage? Shouldn't they be relieving along the #94's route as that's one ride to the garage. Even more strange then is why they are running #94's to the garage? Is it for ridership or simply because of the marquette park turnaround being compromised? I don't see why they couldn't just drive around the park then and turn around that way. Just do the layovers on 71st.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

You know what's kind of goofy about 74th reliefs is, why are they relieving at Ashland when that's at least two bus rides from the garage? Shouldn't they be relieving along the #94's route as that's one ride to the garage. Even more strange then is why they are running #94's to the garage? Is it for ridership or simply because of the marquette park turnaround being compromised? I don't see why they couldn't just drive around the park then and turn around that way. Just do the layovers on 71st.

The 94 doesn't relieve from Ashland. East/west routes like 55, 62,63, 67 and 59 are the ones that pull in and relieve via Ashland 

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

The 94 doesn't relieve from Ashland. East/west routes like 55, 62,63, 67 and 59 are the ones that pull in and relieve via Ashland 

That wasn't his question. The question was why "East/west routes like 55, 62,63, 67 and 59 are the ones that pull in and relieve via Ashland"  don't relieve at California, like the schedulers don't know that 94 was reeouted.

I figure that they deadhead via Ashland because California is too far away and not big enough to take the additional bus traffric,

34 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That wasn't his question. The question was why "East/west routes like 55, 62,63, 67 and 59 are the ones that pull in and relieve via Ashland"  don't relieve at California, like the schedulers don't know that 94 was reeouted.

I figure that they deadhead via Ashland because California is too far away and not big enough to take the additional bus traffric,

Well looking at the schedules for both Ashland and south California, I'd definitely choose Ashland even with a two block walk considering Ashland runs waaaaay more frequently than California especially on weekends. 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Well looking at the schedules for both Ashland and south California, I'd definitely choose Ashland even with a two block walk considering Ashland runs waaaaay more frequently than California especially on weekends. 

Then that leads me into the second question then, why is #94 going to the garage if reliefs are not getting anything out of it. You know on the weekend the #92 doesn't run so great either, but NP seems to be doing OK. #85 either for that matter on Sunday. (FG)

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Then that leads me into the second question then, why is #94 going to the garage if reliefs are not getting anything out of it. You know on the weekend the #92 doesn't run so great either, but NP seems to be doing OK. #85 either for that matter on Sunday. (FG)

As far as I can see,  most CTA routes get relief by a route with direct access to a garage. Other routes have pull outs/ins.  Until recently the 94 didn't serve the 74th garage and wasn't even assigned to that garage.   For years Ashland has been the relief point for east west routes from 74th and 69th garages. Why change what isn't broken? 

Concerning P, Foster is the direct route to most of P's north south routes even though the Foster route is ope rated by F.  It isn't so much frequency as it is connectivity and the hours of operation on the 92 makes it easy.  The same goes for the 85 and F. In fact, the 85 is purposely routed to F to link the garage to the Jefferson Park terminal relief point.  I assume the east west routes south of Lawrence operating from F use Central as a relief point. 

Also 77th makes use of the Red Line for reliefs on route 51 and 43 at 47th Red Line.   Kedzie makes use of the Blue Line for 124, 151,  and 156 reliefs at Union Station and the 10 at Jackson/State.

7 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

As far as I can see,  most CTA routes get relief by a route with direct access to a garage. Other routes have pull outs/ins.  Until recently the 94 didn't serve the 74th garage and wasn't even assigned to that garage.   For years Ashland has been the relief point for east west routes from 74th and 69th garages. Why change what isn't broken? 

Concerning P, Foster is the direct route to most of P's north south routes even though the Foster route is ope rated by F.  It isn't so much frequency as it is connectivity and the hours of operation on the 92 makes it easy.  The same goes for the 85 and F. In fact, the 85 is purposely routed to F to link the garage to the Jefferson Park terminal relief point.  I assume the east west routes south of Lawrence operating from F use Central as a relief point. 

The last paragraph sort of makes my point. I suppose an operator could always ride on to Cali or Western and take the #94 if they wanted to ride into the garage that way. If it were an EB relief though that would be screwed up. Bottom line is you probably need to bring your car if your at that garage. Only thing is I don't know how safe it is to park your car at 55th/Ashland or 69th/Ashland, but again one could park it further west. EB reliefs would still screw that up though.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

The last paragraph sort of makes my point. I suppose an operator could always ride on to Cali or Western and take the #94 if they wanted to ride into the garage that way. If it were an EB relief though that would be screwed up. Bottom line is you probably need to bring your car if your at that garage. Only thing is I don't know how safe it is to park your car at 55th/Ashland or 69th/Ashland, but again one could park it further west. EB reliefs would still screw that up though.

Consider that the e/w 74th routes run far east,  so at least Ashland is a little more midroute than California, the exception being 75th.   At least Archer provides a short turn at Cicero,  though I don't know if the reliefs are done on the Cicero or Harlem trips. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Consider that the e/w 74th routes run far east,  so at least Ashland is a little more midroute than California, the exception being 75th.   At least Archer provides a short turn at Cicero,  though I don't know if the reliefs are done on the Cicero or Harlem trips. 

Both and are done by drivers riding up ashland to archer.  Cicero runs are only on Saturdays BTW.

Plus operators aren't using just a specific in service route to get to and from the garage. They also make use of buses that other operators are driving on a pullin or pullout trip. NP for example has that scenario going on a lot for operators relieving on the 22, 49 NP runs, 49B, 50, 146*, 147 and 151 all of which have their reliefs at or near Foster. As for the 94 laying over at the garage, the route was completely kicked out of the park from what other folks were saying so there would be no way to use the circle around the park and layover on 71st scenario. And the length of some layovers giving way to more than one bus on layover further complicates that especially if you factor in the possibility of folks with homes near 71st/Sacramento making a stink about just one bus sitting at that corner a minimum of 10 to 15 mins at a time through out the day everyday.

*146 reliefs are done at the Berwyn Red Line terminus.