Spring Pick 2016

renardo870

The #94 could always just circle via western then there is no layover in the park. It just seems kind of strange they have the bus go to the garage and then they don't use it. 74th garage itself could always structure the routes so that most buses pull in and pull out and they just do reliefs on the street. When someone is done for the day they pullin and the replacement pulls out. They might need a few extra buses to do that, but we have been talking about bloat!! o.O:P Then it doesn't matter as you have no one without a bus unless they are on fallback. Garage travel issues are solved.

BTW, I was scanning DNAinfo and came across the massive teardown project of the Western Belmont bridge. Remember how traffic was before, it's going to be another year like that. Anyone who picked Western is going to have alot of patience. I wonder how Western is going to function now once the bridge comes down, because they are making that basically a six corners type intersection. You know how Diversey/Western backs up, this is probably going to be the same. it will be interesting also how Belmont is going to adjust. For the bridge buffs get your pictures now, you got 3 weeks!!

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160208/roscoe-village/western-belmont-overpass-finally-being-demolished-find-out-when

Traffic will be bad. From what I understand, there will only be one lane open each way. 

Last year, my trip on the 49 would take about 75-90 minutes because of traffic and the detour route. Currently, with the express service and reduced stops, it only takes about 35-45 minutes. 

On 2/11/2016 at 8:45 AM, Busjack said:

Is there a demand for it?

No it's not as evidenced by CTA_44499_FG's post. 

On 2/13/2016 at 2:50 AM, cta_44499_FG said:

Not going to happen.  155 ridership drops significantly after 8 pm.

I live three blocks south of the route and I can say that the buses at best see half a load in the evening unless there is a delay or some special event.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

The 11 is coming back and the 170 might get eliminated.

The 170 will almost certainly get eliminated, since the University of Chicago will no longer be subsidizing the route, and given that the route is not very heavily used (hence the University's decision), I doubt the CTA wants to operate it on its own.

See UChicago's statement here: http://safety-security.uchicago.edu/news/university_to_stop_subsidizing_cta_170/

59 minutes ago, maths22 said:

The 170 will almost certainly get eliminated, since the University of Chicago will no longer be subsidizing the route, and given that the route is not very heavily used (hence the University's decision), I doubt the CTA wants to operate it on its own.

See UChicago's statement here: http://safety-security.uchicago.edu/news/university_to_stop_subsidizing_cta_170/

It gets eliminated, because the whole deal  with the Crowd Reduction Plan and subsequent contract with U of C is if U of C doesn't pay the full freight, the service is gone.

But it won't be the Spring pick, because the effective date is May 27.

The stuff about presenting an amended contract to the CT Board is a mere formality.

I spotted 8162 doing a training run on Taylor near Ashland this past Friday. Does this mean that C will be doing some coverage of #157 at spring pick start? Or maybe even K giving it up with C being the garage TBA that Reynardo alluded to a few weeks back?

19 minutes ago, Busjack said:

It gets eliminated, because the whole deal  with the Crowd Reduction Plan and subsequent contract with U of C is if U of C doesn't pay the full freight, the service is gone.

But it won't be the Spring pick, because the effective date is May 27.

The stuff about presenting an amended contract to the CT Board is a mere formality.

That  lines up with what Andre mentioned a few weeks ago that 170's possible elimination wouldn't be effective spring pick. As for the questions that keep popping up about 11 and 31, Andre mentions in that same post that those aren't happening spring pick either. 

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

I'd be willing to assume that the 11 and 31 are contingent on the state budget issue. Until things are settled, CTA funding isn't quite clear. 

That's again untrue. As noted here, CTA is not suffering fiscal distress, because it gets operating money from the RTA sales tax. If it is relying on CMAQ or JARC for this project, those aren't state funds, either.

• Upvote 1

Plus from Andre's post, it sounds like they need more than just one full pick after announcement to start these two again. Remember X9 and X49's return was announced last summer, but the remainder of summer pick and all of fall pick to plan their schedules and coordinate them with the locals. And as Busjack mentioned, CTA's operating budget is quite secure. 

13 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

14buses from 77th on 120-121-125 in AM rush of which 13 pull out, one comes off #3. 13 pull in, one goes to Hickory. These replace all Chicago Av buses on 120-121-125 in AM rush. 77th has no PM shuttle work, and Chicago still has a few PM trips on these.

Do you know the 77th run numbers of those routes in order for me to make changes on the chicagobus website?