Bus Route Tracker

maths22

I would like to officially announce the release of the CTA Bus Route tracker.  I originally created this this summer for tracking the assignments of new buses as they made their first runs; however, it is also useful for tracking retirements and other purposes.  Please let me know what you think; suggestions for improvement are welcome.

https://maths22.com/cta/

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, maths22 said:

I would like to officially announce the release of the CTA Bus Route tracker.  I originally created this this summer for tracking the assignments of new buses as they made their first runs; however, it is also useful for tracking retirements and other purposes.  Please let me know what you think; suggestions for improvement are welcome.

https://maths22.com/cta/

I looked it over and it looks good, very promising. it would be helpful if you can get garage info for the buses(F=Forest Glen, 5=Chicago, etc...), so rosters can be updated faster. It did help me find out that 4300 is back in service again.

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I looked it over and it looks good, very promising. it would be helpful if you can get garage info for the buses(F=Forest Glen, 5=Chicago, etc...), so rosters can be updated faster. It did help me find out that 4300 is back in service again.

Unfortunately, the CTA api does not expose run numbers, so I don't have a way to collect and display that information.

21 minutes ago, maths22 said:

I have added an archive of previous route assignments (the archive only started saving this morning, so it's not that useful yet, but I would appreciate suggestions on how to make the interface more usable.  It can be found at https://www.maths22.com/cta/archive.php

I'm not sure of the value of archiving all 1018 or so 1000s in one chunk, without a way to search in particular other than applying the filter, but I suppose one would need an SQL database to do that.

Also, this doesn't tell you what is missing except by process of elimination. Without a query tool or sufficient time, one can't tell whether 6444 is dead, compared to 701 being out on 52 at 8 a.m. and in the garage now (inference from the real time link at the top of the topic),

As I implied, you might not have the tools to do something along these lines.

1 hour ago, maths22 said:

I have added an archive of previous route assignments (the archive only started saving this morning, so it's not that useful yet, but I would appreciate suggestions on how to make the interface more usable.  It can be found at https://www.maths22.com/cta/archive.php

So you are saying that the database saves bus assignments for each day. If so, that would be helpful to me, because then I wouldn't have to track fleets of buses for months on end. If I could make a suggestion, maybe program in a way that a bus can be kicked out or placed with an asterisk after a month of not being in service. That process seems to work well for me in developing a roster if I don't have the actual roster, which I don't always have. When the bus reappears like it was in the shop it will lose it's asterisk or reappear on the list. It would be cool if a an actual roster could be developed that way through automation and not have to be constantly updated. But that may be beyond our capabilities, but as fast as the computer world is progressing anything seems possible.

58 minutes ago, maths22 said:

I'm right now just archiving the raw data, but I will get a database set up soon, with proper querying and dynamic display possibilities.

In which case it might be useful for our members to state below what kind of information they want. I see that BusHunter made some suggestions above.

6 hours ago, maths22 said:

Unfortunately, the CTA api does not expose run numbers, so I don't have a way to collect and display that information.

I could go off the routes they are on then.... I just thought with updated technology, at the very least the computer api could get at least the home garage the bus is out of. I'm not interested in the full run number(e.g: F832), just the 1st character of the run for garage assignment. It would, like BusHunter suggested about down buses for repairs, etc.... help with roster updating, as buses may be shifted from garage to garage, especially with the eventual exodus of Novas(6400's) from FG to South Shops for removal of certain equipment(fareboxes, clever devices, etc...) and eventual scrapping/new life as Workbuses, etc..., New Flyers and Novas(7900's) may be shifted around to replace directly at FG or other garages to send equipment to FG.

But maybe someday soon, this too will be possible for purposes of roster updating.

Just now, sw4400 said:

I could go off the routes they are on then.... I just thought with updated technology, at the very least the computer api could get at least the home garage the bus is out of. I'm not interested in the full run number(e.g: F832), just the 1st character of the run for garage assignment. It would, like BusHunter suggested about down buses for repairs, etc.... help with roster updating, as buses may be shifted from garage to garage, especially with the eventual exodus of Novas(6400's) from FG to South Shops for removal of certain equipment(fareboxes, clever devices, etc...) and eventual scrapping/new life as Workbuses, etc..., New Flyers and Novas(7900's) may be shifted around to replace directly at FG or other garages to send equipment to FG.

But maybe someday soon, this too will be possible for purposes of roster updating.

If you want to see the raw data I have to work with, just right click on one of the pages with the data and click view source.  All the relevant data I have is there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maths22 said:

If you want to see the raw data I have to work with, just right click on one of the pages with the data and click view source.  All the relevant data I have is there.

I don't know what good that does for any of us who is not proficient in java script.

However, I'm sure that the correct answer to sw's question is that you can only use the data exposed by the CTA API. If it does not expose the run number or the first character of it, it isn't available. It might be available to the supervisor, but not to you.

Just now, Busjack said:

I don't know what good that does for any of us that is not proficient in java script.

However, I'm sure that the correct answer to sw's

I was suggesting that less for the point of doing something with it and more for the point of just seeing what exists.  I have included below the data it gives me for each bus:

<vehicle>
   <vid>1232</vid>
   <tmstmp>20160129 15:39</tmstmp>
   <lat>41.72166331898082</lat>
   <lon>-87.60934573086826</lon>
   <hdg>170</hdg>

<pid>5343</pid>
   <rt>3</rt>
   <des>95th/CSU</des>
   <pdist>68937</pdist>

<tablockid>SR  -751</tablockid>
   <tatripid>1080282</tatripid>
   <zone />
</vehicle>

And actually, looking at it, I think we have the have the garage information we want hiding in the tablockid field.  I'm going to make that field visible, and if anyone has any ideas about the meaning of the whole symbol, I would find that rather interesting.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, maths22 said:

I was suggesting that less for the point of doing something with it and more for the point of just seeing what exists.  I have included below the data it gives me for each bus:

<vehicle>
   <vid>1232</vid>
   <tmstmp>20160129 15:39</tmstmp>
   <lat>41.72166331898082</lat>
   <lon>-87.60934573086826</lon>
   <hdg>170</hdg>

<pid>5343</pid>
   <rt>3</rt>
   <des>95th/CSU</des>
   <pdist>68937</pdist>

<tablockid>SR  -751</tablockid>
   <tatripid>1080282</tatripid>
   <zone />
</vehicle>

And actually, looking at it, I think we have the have the garage information we want hiding in the tablockid field.  I'm going to make that field visible, and if anyone has any ideas about the meaning of the whole symbol, I would find that rather interesting.

This is why I need to go back to school and take a Java class again! B|

12 hours ago, garmon757 said:

This is why I need to go back to school and take a Java class again! B|

Actually, that's not java, but XML.

17 hours ago, maths22 said:

<tablockid>SR -751</tablockid> <tatripid>1080282</tatripid> <zone />

17 hours ago, maths22 said:

And actually, looking at it, I think we have the have the garage information we want hiding in the tablockid field. 

You'll have to look through more samples to see if it correlates, 7301-7400 is the run block number for King Dr., but you are short a digit.

On the other hand, something else brings back my comment about the supervisor version of the BusTracker map. That exposed the driver's badge number, and the 1080282 might be that.

Do the API instructions say what each field is?

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

You'll have to look through more samples to see if it correlates, 7301-7400 is the run block number for King Dr., but you are short a digit.

On the other hand, something else brings back my comment about the supervisor version of the BusTracker map. That exposed the driver's badge number, and the 1080282 might be that.

Do the API instructions say what each field is?

The API does not document tablockid or tatripid (it documents the first two sections [or at least most of the fields in them]).  If you want to see all of the tatripid fields, I have made them visible here for all buses in service: https://maths22.com/cta/buses-in-service.xml

57 minutes ago, maths22 said:

If you want to see all of the tatripid fields, I have made them visible here for all buses in service: https://maths22.com/cta/buses-in-service.xml

Apparently, 3-707 is some sort of sequence for 3 King Dr., but what is before the dash seems always to be the route number.

What might be the secret is the number after the dash:

1  103
2  Kedzie
4  Forest Glen
5  North Park
6  74
7  77
8  Chicago

Confirms, though, that 62H is part of 59:

8072 62H: Archer/Harlem 59 -603

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Apparently, 3-707 is some sort of sequence for 3 King Dr., but what is before the dash seems always to be the route number.

1  103
2  Kedzie
4  Forest Glen
5  North Park
6  74
7  77
8  Chicago

If you look at 6400s which are all xx-4xx you will find the last two digits are sequential. For example the buses on 56 are 56-401 to 56-412, and for 76 76-401 to 76-410 plus 76-451 (part time?).

A number of FG routes have a -451 vehicle (76, 77, 80, 81, 84, 85).

The only exception in 84 which has three vehicles at present 84 -407, 84 -408 and 84 -451.

Thanks for making that information visible. I think it will help with working out which garage shared route vehicles are coming from.

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

1  103
2  Kedzie
4  Forest Glen
5  North Park
6  74
7  77
8  Chicago

Thank you for decoding this.  I have added a more readable column with the garage name/code.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2016 at 11:17 AM, maths22 said:

I took a look at the #6400 buses last week according to this tracker. Interestingly enough no #6440's have been out since 1/29/16. All these buses which are on last months roster are no shows so far since 1/29/16 - 2/25/16:

#6495, #6594, #6613, #6643, #6878

Maybe I'll do this again next week. It seems pretty simple to do and takes about 15-20 minutes to see the buses for the whole week. Pretty handy. Thanks maths22!!

Block numbers identify the vehicle throughout the day.  The route number is the route the bus spends the most time on during the day.  The block suffix identifies the garage (first digit) and pullout sequence, with PM pullouts starting at 51.  So, 76-451 would be a PM pullout spending most (or all) of its time on the 76.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, See Tea Eh said:

Block numbers identify the vehicle throughout the day.  The route number is the route the bus spends the most time on during the day.  The block suffix identifies the garage (first digit) and pullout sequence, with PM pullouts starting at 51.  So, 76-451 would be a PM pullout spending most (or all) of its time on the 76.

Any luck on the actual run numbers?