Bus Route Tracker

maths22

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

So how does 76-451 identify as FG? 4 doesn't say anything to me. The 76 could say something, but SS doesn't say any route number and has no identification. So I see these are block numbers, not run numbers. I guess I took that for granted, knowing that belmont runs 700 run numbers.

Again, read here.

The only things unexplained are the SH, SR, and SS predominant route indications for the block.

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So how does 76-451 identify as FG? 4 doesn't say anything to me. The 76 could say something, but SS doesn't say any route number and has no identification. So I see these are block numbers, not run numbers. I guess I took that for granted, knowing that belmont runs 700 run numbers.

From the explanation you just quoted, the 4 actually does say something, that the bus is out of FG. See Tea Eh states in that explanation that the first digit of the block suffix, in this case 451, identifies the garage. That means there is some internal number system separate from what we see in the run box to identify the garage from these block numbers seen in maths22's tracker. In essence you gotta stop your mind from trying to tie the block numbers here to run numbers seen in a bus's run box. Also from See Tea Eh's explanation the bus in question was the first bus to pull out from the garage for this route/block of routes the bus was serving since afternoon pullouts begin with 51 in the garage suffix. The best example that these are not run numbers would be math's tracker showing 8183 out on the #37 under block ID 37-851, 8187 out on the #74 under block ID 74-851 and 8186 on the #65 under block ID 65-851. All can't be run 851, so they can't be run numbers. If you look at all the Chicago assigned/used* buses out in service you'll see that all their block suffixes begin with an 8, indicating Chicago garage. To make it easier to spot this is what I picked up the different block suffixes to indicate as far as garage identification:

1xx = 103rd Garage

2xx = Kedzie Garage

4xx = Forest Glen Garage

5xx = North Park Garage

6xx = 74th Garage

7xx = 77th Garage

8xx = Chicago Garage

Incidentally we see that the run suffix first digits for 103, 74th and 77th are also their garage codes seen in a bus run box, but that's as far as that particular connection goes. Beyond that, the block suffixes have nothing to do with run numbers or the garage codes shown at the front of a bus.

*used as in borrowed from another garage and used by said garage

45 minutes ago, jajuan said:

That means there is some internal number system separate from what we see in the run box to identify the garage from these block numbers seen in maths22's tracker

That must be the case. The run numbers seem more for pick purposes (i.e. distinguishing one operator's piece of work depending on it being full time, part time, or block schedule), while See  said that these numbers are pullout sequence from the garage,

I'm pretty sure that the practice has not changed from the old days of when there was street relief, the new driver would crank the run box, except now it is electronic. The bus stayed on the street, though, and continued the trip.

Thus, Bus 700 having 21-253 only meant that it was Kedzie garage, third afternoon pullout on route 21. The run number, according to the Garages page, was K9something (making it a dog of a runB|).

17 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That must be the case. The run numbers seem more for pick purposes (i.e. distinguishing one operator's piece of work depending on it being full time, part time, or block schedule), while See  said that these numbers are pullout sequence from the garage,

I'm pretty sure that the practice has not changed from the old days of when there was street relief, the new driver would crank the run box, except now it is electronic. The bus stayed on the street, though, and continued the trip.

Thus, Bus 700 having 21-253 only meant that it was Kedzie garage, third afternoon pullout on route 21. The run number, according to the Garages page, was K9something (making it a dog of a runB|).

Interlining is indicated as See alluded to as all the X49 buses have block IDs of 49-6xx from the 74th runs or 49-5xx from the NP ones.

43 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Interlining is indicated as See alluded to as all the X49 buses have block IDs of 49-6xx from the 74th runs or 49-5xx from the NP ones.

That was his "The route number is the route the bus spends the most time on during the day" part, while I was focused on "Block numbers identify the vehicle throughout the day" and "pullout sequence."

In that regard, the block number is independent of 49 and X49 being interlined, and also independent of that there may be 3 street reliefs of one Route 63 bus. The run number is not independent of the street reliefs.

On the interlining front, a current reading is:

1483 55A: 55th/Austin 55N-651 6 (74th).

Interesting that, unlike one 1 cited near the top of this topic, it is not a 59-6XX However, several are:

1520 55N: 55th/Narragansett 59 -606  6 (74th)

8021 55N: 55th/Narragansett 59 -653 6 (74th)

8058 55A: 55th/Austin 59 -604 6 (74th)

2 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That was his "The route number is the route the bus spends the most time on during the day" part, while I was focused on "Block numbers identify the vehicle throughout the day" and "pullout sequence."

In that regard, the block number is independent of 49 and X49 being interlined, and also independent of that there may be 3 street reliefs of one Route 63 bus. The run number is not independent of the street reliefs.

Oh right right. You were more focused on the bus may be out all day, but the operator is not side of it. But I was looking at the full block ID and not just the just the three digit suffix. In that regard I was pointing out that you have 49-xxx block IDs for both 49 and X49 while on Ashland you have 9-xxx and X9-xxx block IDs because on Western you have buses that flip from express to local or local to express rather than being a pull-in our pullout while for Ashland on the express the majority of the buses pull out at the start of express services and then pull back in at the end of express operations rather than using the local/express interlining that 49 and X49 do. In essence, a good number of X49 buses stay in service in the off peak doing local runs while as we discussed back when the routes returned, Ashland express runs are mainly the Ashland rush extras as 74th runs Ashland by itself. 

• 1 month later...

maths22:

Based on the distinction between block numbers, which you display, and run numbers, which you don't (see the discussion ending here, basically saying that the articulated bus filling in for block 152-406 should have run number P981), is there something in the XML data that shows the run number?

11 hours ago, Busjack said:

maths22:

Based on the distinction between block numbers, which you display, and run numbers, which you don't (see the discussion ending here, basically saying that the articulated bus filling in for block 152-406 should have run number P981), is there something in the XML data that shows the run number?

Sadly, the CTA API does not provide the run number in the XML

• Upvote 2

Like andre says the place where the bus runs the most determines its block number if doing multiple routes. Now if i only knew what determined its garage. Could be just that the streets home garage is selected by default but i swear it wasnt doing that before.

41 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Like andre says the place where the bus runs the most determines its block number if doing multiple routes. Now if i only knew what determined its garage. Could be just that the streets home garage is selected by default but i swear it wasnt doing that before.

As andre seemed to indicate, the run number depends on the driver's home base..

There seems to be other things going on with the block number, such as what was noted before about a 4300 substituting for an 8200 and the SS, SR, and SH codes, but Andre seemed to indicate that the block code isn't meaningful. As maths answered that the supervisor's information such as the run number is not given by the API, maybe that's CTA's intent to restrict certain information while providing public stuff that isn't that useful.

The one thing that shows it is not purely by street is that the 4000s tracker has both 151-2XX Kedzie and 151-5XX North Park.

26 minutes ago, Busjack said:

There seems to be other things going on with the block number, such as what was noted before about a 4300 substituting for an 8200 and the SS, SR, and SH codes, but Andre seemed to indicate that the block code isn't meaningful. As maths answered that the supervisor's information such as the run number is not given by the API, maybe that's CTA's intent to restrict certain information while providing public stuff that isn't that useful.

The one thing that shows it is not purely by street is that the 4000s tracker has both 151-2XX Kedzie and 151-5XX North Park.

There is a useful bit of information in there, though: which garage is operating the bus (which usually matches the garage from the first digit of the run number)

44 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Yeah but we know the #4300's didn't come out of fg.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Busjack said:

Apparently new is 66 Chicago trips with SN pull outs, such as:

4112 66: Chicago SN -851 5 (Chicago)

Storage near Navy Pier?

Yes it stands for Navy Pier, it is not new.. has been around for at least 18 months to 2 years now. That was the third addition with SR and SH being the first two. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pudgym29 said:

OK, people, it's 9:58 pm. I'm not on-site. Where are the articulated buses waiting for patrons from Riot Fest on CTA BustRacker? They should be on routes #12, #49, #52, et alia.

But they're not appearing. On either Maths22 or byronasaurus ' pages?

Why are you posting an eye test?

Besides that, couldn't you find a place to determine if they are actually running and on what routes? As illustrated by 95, if they aren't logged in on a regular run, they don't show up on any tracker, including the official one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...