F40 repainting?

1 hour ago, busfan2847 said:

So far the only cars that have been repainted in this livery are from a batch built in 1956 by Pullman-Standard (7651-7681) and a number of them have been repainted although only 7664 has been used in service, I think (SWS). These were among the first withdrawn by Metra with 15 going to VRE. 7675 at Western Avenue has been there for months with the repaint not finished - masking tape on the windows etc. Perhaps they are having a rethink!

7882 was a MARC one that has been in service with Metra since 2016. Probably at KYD for repair.

Jesus, its been years since I've seen Pullmans on the MARC. Granted, they weren't on the line I usually take, but just reading that made me feel old

23 hours ago, WCR said:

Word is the F40C 611 is in the shops for evaluation (i.e. deciding whether or not it's worth rebuilding). I'll check and see it it's in it's normal spot by Grand.

That bad boy is almost 50 years old  lol !!!  If it made it this far and seeing how METRA is scouting/purchasing 2nd hand locos due to so called "lack of funds" and increase service, It would make more sense just to keep it and rebuild it ??  Another vote for nostalgi purposes since it will be the ONLY in-service operating F40C left in the US !!!

Just my 2 honest abe's ;)

33 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder would it save them money if they wrapped the trains in a livery versus painting them. You have to admit the Pace buses that had the wraps didnt look bad. 

On the F40C front doesnt IRM have one? Thought I saw one out there. 

IRM does not have an F40C. Other than the two that Metra retained, 610 is the only one known to still exist, at National Railway Equipment in Dixmoor. The rest were sold to HLCX in St. Louis and are presumed to have been scrapped.

2 things...

611 is in the shop for scavenging. There is no intention of running 611 or 614. They along with 215, are only

on hand for parts. As for the Pullmans, 7664 is not on the Southwest, it is on the Milwaukee along with 7659. Both are garbage, but take up space well and look horrible with that paint scheme.

7 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

2 things...

611 is in the shop for scavenging. There is no intention of running 611 or 614. They along with 215, are only

on hand for parts. As for the Pullmans, 7664 is not on the Southwest, it is on the Milwaukee along with I believe

7661. Both are garbage, but take up space well and look horrible with that paint scheme.

Bummer on 611 and 614 :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Not sure if 211 got rebuilt, but at some point it went back in time and is now running with Chicago Burlington and Quincy.

This looks so cool! I'm not sure which is better, this or the Rock Island repaint. I can't think of why is that black square on the front familiar, I used to see it all the time as a child, but I can't think of where

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

This looks so cool! I'm not sure which is better, this or the Rock Island repaint. I can't think of why is that black square on the front familiar, I used to see it all the time as a child, but I can't think of where

I like it. It’s simple, but at the same time it has a clean and classy look to it. In my opinion the Rock Island livery, while colorful, is almost too vibrant.

Have you ever visited the Museum of Science and Industry? In their basement by the underground parking garages they have the Pioneer Zephyr on display, which also has the same logo. Additionally, the Illinois Railway Museum frequently runs a former Chicago Burlington and Quincy EMD E5 for visitors, which has the logo on the nose as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I like it. It’s simple, but at the same time it has a clean and classy look to it. In my opinion the Rock Island livery, while colorful, is almost too vibrant.

Have you ever visited the Museum of Science and Industry? In their basement by the underground parking garages they have the Pioneer Zephyr on display, which also has the same logo. Additionally, the Illinois Railway Museum frequently runs a former Chicago Burlington and Quincy EMD E5 for visitors, which has the logo on the nose as well.

That's what it is! I used to go to the MScI all the time, that train and the model train area were my favorite parts that I would visit every single time!