Hiring Process

10blessedone

• 3 weeks later...

Simply put, you put in an application online when the post a job. They send you an email to pick a date (if more than one is scheduled) to come in for preliminary testing and interviewing. If they decide you fit their criteria, you go thru a background check (work history, criminal) you get called back for a physical at Concentra, and a couple of weeks later get to show up at 567 Lake to be put on the list for training. One odd thing - your seniority is based on the order people arrive at the initial interview. If you get to the security desk before the next guy, you will always be in front of him.

1 hour ago, 10blessedone said:

Thanks..... But actually I use to work for CTA .... Now trying to come back so I wanted to know the REHIRING process???   I took HR exam an passed now I'm just waiting

Its the same process as before, now you just gotta wait form them to call you back depending on what position you have at cta. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:04 AM, Mr.cta85 said:

Its the same process as before, now you just gotta wait form them to call you back depending on what position you have at cta. 

Mr.cta85 I thought it was a different process they go through cause I haven't heard anything from them in about 4 weeks. and I know they are still hiring. I was a bus operator then,  guess I can't do nothing but wait an pray the do rehire me.

7 hours ago, witeboy07 said:

Sorry not to hack the post, but I dont want to make a new one and spam. I just took the interview and same day did the concentra, finger and background test. You know how long the average is to hear back?

congats... at lease you made it this far I'm still waiting ... but it shouldn't  be long for you at all when your results come in that's  it.....  good luck!!!

3 hours ago, 10blessedone said:

Mr.cta85 I thought it was a different process they go through cause I haven't heard anything from them in about 4 weeks. and I know they are still hiring. I was a bus operator then,  guess I can't do nothing but wait an pray the do rehire me.

If you're back for the same position then don't worry it takes time for them to call you back cause they May have more than 40 ppl to call back. It sucks I know but be encouraged they'll call you back. It took them 3weeks to call me back after I took my physical, interview and etc in order for them to give me a start date.

• 3 months later...

jus was wondering does CTA gives you the DOT medical certificate before they know the results of the drug test? and if so how long does it typically take to get results? i recieved a email stating congrads on making it to the next step  same day as i took the physical and drug test but was told they would do that without knowing results!!!! Please help my mind is going crazy right now

Even though both the physical and the drug testing are done together,  they're two separate entities.   The physical indicates you are medically cleared to perform your duties without restrictions.  Drug testing is to make sure you don't have any illegal or otherwise dangerous drugs in your system that could impact your ability to perform your job.  That could cost you your job.   Even if you passed both,  you will still be subjected to random drug testing at any time and automatic drug testing in the event of an accident. 

3 hours ago, bebe said:

jus was wondering does CTA gives you the DOT medical certificate before they know the results of the drug test? and if so how long does it typically take to get results? i recieved a email stating congrads on making it to the next step  same day as i took the physical and drug test but was told they would do that without knowing results!!!! Please help my mind is going crazy right now

Well you should know if you passed that or not. If so you got nothing to worry about. A drug test usually indicates you have the job, because companies will not fork out money for anyone to take a test. I was tested in a similar circumstance and my employer knew right away. I think where I went they had a lab or something. As far as the physical as long as you have no major problems, you should be OK.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Tiffany said:

I have the same question about re hiring how long does it take and if I had a miss the last time I worked there will it prevent me from being rehired help plzzzzzz??

It depends on how many people they're bringing in both new and rehires. If you missed your last appointment you probably have to wait longer now cause they gotta take car of the people before you. Doing background checks, drug test and etc. But I would encourage you to continue to call human resources if you have the number cause with them dealing with so much sometimes they will forget. Thats what I did when I 1st started ?. So just call and they might tell you to come in the next day.

Thank you so much cause I really wanna go back and what appointment are you referring to if you miss it? No I was talking about a miss at work from when I previously worked there and when I did the rehire form I was told that they check my record to see if I can be rehired what kind of stuff are they looking for?

Believe me, if you were not discharged previously for cause, you will be called up. I had a pretty lousy record in 1the 1980's, and I got called back, so a miss or two isn't going to hurt you. CTA is getting pretty desperate for drivers. The number of runs not getting filled because of no manpower is rising, and it appears the percentage of new hires who last is falling.

Claypool. He had this bright idea extra board was too big, so the number of drivers was allowed to go down. So now you can't cover the runs without endlessly begging drivers to work overtime. This seems especially bad in afternoon, with sometimes seven or eight runs, or halves of runs, posted on the clerk's window, looking for somebody finishing up wanting to do a few extra hours.

Claypool also was big on discipline. The number of drivers fired per month has gone up over the last few years. He also thought too many were taking RDO's (Requested Days Off), so now you can basically only get a day off by going in the sick book.

Finally, there is only a finite number of people willing and able to drive a city bus. Once you go thru the good candidates, you are forced to go after the less than ideal ones, many of which flunk out or quit soon. Once you are firing more than you can successfully hire, you are in a death spiral that leads to involuntary overtime and an ever increasing turnover rate. Las Vegas is a classic example, where excessive discipline, poor working conditions, and endless forced overtime has resulted in a turnover of close to 100% a year for over a decade now. We do not want to end up like that.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Finally, there is only a finite number of people willing and able to drive a city bus. Once you go thru the good candidates, you are forced to go after the less than ideal ones, many of which flunk out or quit soon.

Which undoubtedly was the basis for Claypool representing that the 400 PTOs hired for the Red Line Shuttles would eventually be hired full time. Attrition was discussed then, and it is apparently continuing now.

Also, apparently things have not changed even though Carter has been there 13 months. He has improved CTA's image with neighborhood leaders, but apparently not internally.

Sort of gives lie to that Chicago is so "job starved" that people would jump at a job that starts at $21.33/hour, per the salary spreadsheet.

38 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Which undoubtedly was the basis for Claypool representing that the 400 PTOs hired for the Red Line Shuttles would eventually be hired full time. Attrition was discussed then, and it is apparently continuing now.

Also, apparently things have not changed even though Carter has been there 13 months. He has improved CTA's image with neighborhood leaders, but apparently not internally.

Sort of gives lie to that Chicago is so "job starved" that people would jump at a job that starts at $21.33/hour, per the salary spreadsheet.

Carter hasn't changed a darn thing internally, and realistically can't. Once excessive discipline has been instituted, there is no way to
"relax" it without the inmates taking over the asylum. So realistically, CTA has probably started down the steep slope to insoluble problems.

I have pity on the Teachers.

36 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

I have pity on the Teachers.

Actually, they have proven they don't deserve it. What you said about the inmates taking over the asylum is the case if one listens to anything Karen Lewis says. Just did not succeed in getting their endorsed candidate, Chuy Garcia elected, which would have ensconced the inmates.

The one thing that is constant to those of us on the outside is that Claypool is Emanuel's voice for "the rest of the state owes us something," both at CTA (all the crying about 81% of the rides) and CPS (the funding formula is so unfair to poor children). In the first case, Dorval Carter said in late 2015 that the CTA's tax situation is o.k. (I guess that's how CTA can now increase service), and apparently the state gave CPS enough in the last minute education budget to get Claypool off its back.

On August 4, 2016 at 0:10 PM, andrethebusman said:

Believe me, if you were not discharged previously for cause, you will be called up. I had a pretty lousy record in 1the 1980's, and I got called back, so a miss or two isn't going to hurt you. CTA is getting pretty desperate for drivers. The number of runs not getting filled because of no manpower is rising, and it appears the percentage of new hires who last is falling.

Thanks cause when I spoke to HR they said they would have to pull my record to see if I was eligible for rehire so I was wondering what they look for when they do such a thing that would disqualify a previous employee

6 minutes ago, Tiffany said:

Thanks cause when I spoke to HR they said they would have to pull my record to see if I was eligible for rehire so I was wondering what they look for when they do such a thing that would disqualify a previous employee

Driving a train up the stairs at the O'Hare station might do it, although not according to some garage rumor mill.

Talking with some folks reveals that 50% of new hires actually making it thru training is considered a good class. Basically, CTA is starting to run out of people who are willing (and more importantly able) to drive a city bus. Look at ATU's newsletter sometime - seems that quite a few places are getting into this predicament of not enough drivers to cover the schedule, so more and more overtime, so more and more quitting or getting fired, so harder and harder to make schedule, so forced overtime, more quitting or getting fired, etc, etc. Get the picture? I hate to say this, but the transit business is basically screwing itself into the ground. What's the answer? Is there an answer???