Restored Service/Routes

renardo870

Since CTA is starting to restore/expand service on routes like the #11, #26, #31, #71 and #95EW, I wonder if other routes would be considered down the line like....

#N4 Cottage Grove  Washington to 95th OWL

#N87 87th Western to 91st Commercial OWL

#87 Western trips or 95 extended to 79th/Western Terminal. 

#83 83rd from 92nd/Commercial to 79th/Red   Line or to Walmart off West 83rd. It used to be service from Commercial to 83rd/South Chicago via the old 95E but was discontinued in 97??? It merits a look.

N108 OWL service to compliment 352 since the PACE bus stops every half mile. 

Bus service from 103rd Garage to the Wal-Mart off Doty Road via the existing J14/15/28/106 or bring 111A to 103rd and also serve Olive-Harvey College. 

Maybe some 79 Ford City late evening trips to Midway to connect with the last train around 0200.  

Just ideas.

56 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

Owl is only the bare bones service needed to serve passenger generators like hospitals. Unless some employer requests it, no. For instance, 4 to 63rd theoretically serves U of C Hospitals.

#83 83rd from 92nd/Commercial to 79th/Red   Line or to Walmart off West 83rd. It used to be service from Commercial to 83rd/South Chicago via the old 95E but was discontinued in 97??? It merits a look.

Only if CTA comes up with the 50% match for the JARC that at least was on the table, although the RTA page leaves the inference that the program may have lapsed.

Besides the owl comment above, no need to duplicate Pace. Also, it would be strange to have a rush hour only route owl, and there is also 8A (which seems to end around 8:00 p.m.)

Bus service from 103rd Garage to the Wal-Mart off Doty Road via the existing J14/15/28/106 or bring 111A to 103rd and also serve Olive-Harvey College. 

You are dealing with a route that only serves the garage and Olive Harvey. Only reason CTA runs 111A is that it has a contractual obligation to do so, and it would make more sense to combine it with 115.

Maybe some 79 Ford City late evening trips to Midway to connect with the last train around 0200.  

Anyone around the mall after about 10? I doubt it.

As usual, and as the Community Guidelines point out, it is not sufficient to just fill in lines in the grid, but you need to identity specific passenger generators on the route, such as what the 47th Ward attempted to do with the 11 flyer. Also, as 11 and 31 indicate, there better be an alderman demanding it.

44 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

Is there really that much owl ridership that more buses are needed? CTA would be better off making an agreement with Pace to serve local stops overnight if there is enough demand for them.

45 minutes ago, renardo870 said:

111A is one of CTA's least productive routes. Service to Walmart could do quite well if it was part of a longer route with better connections to other parts of town. I think I previously suggested to get rid of 111A and move 115 to Doty Road, since the 4 will now be serving Cottage Grove.

1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

Since CTA is starting to restore/expand service on routes like the #11, #26, #31, #71 and #95EW, I wonder if other routes would be considered down the line like....

#87 Western trips or 95 extended to 79th/Western Terminal. 

Just ideas.

I do agree that #87 or #49 should have some connection, if not during the day then during owl service have #87 west terminus at 79th/Western or #49 south terminus at 87th/Western to help connect the buses.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I do agree that #87 or #49 should have some connection, if not during the day then during owl service have #87 west terminus at 79th/Western or #49 south terminus at 87th/Western to help connect the buses.

Would be the only rationale, as otherwise you are suggesting running heavy routes through forest preserves.

On 7/12/2016 at 11:37 AM, Pace831 said:

Is there really that much owl ridership that more buses are needed? CTA would be better off making an agreement with Pace to serve local stops overnight if there is enough demand for them.

111A is one of CTA's least productive routes. Service to Walmart could do quite well if it was part of a longer route with better connections to other parts of town. I think I previously suggested to get rid of 111A and move 115 to Doty Road, since the 4 will now be serving Cottage Grove.

That 4 extension appears to be an every other bus type deal and seems to be more to provide a better connection for anyone coming from 115th but not necessarily downtown. Beyond that everyone else is still going to the Red Line. So no, I don't think it's really necessary to pull 115th off Cottage Grove. But it does make sense to connect what's now 111A to the 115. 

9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

That 4 extension appears to be an every other bus type deal and seems to be more to provide a better connection for anyone coming from 115th but not necessarily downtown. Beyond that everyone else is still going to the Red Line. So no, I don't think it's really necessary to pull 115th off Cottage Grove. But it does make sense to connect what's now 111A to the 115. 

How could 111A become part of 115 if it isn't taken off Cottage Grove to some extent? Though I see your point about keeping access to the Red Line for Cottage Grove riders. I had said originally that 115 should run via Cottage-111th-Doty-103rd-Cottage, but maybe 115th-Doty-(turn around at Walmart)-111th-Cottage would make more sense. That way people between 111th and 115th wouldn't have to walk more than 2 blocks to catch the 115.

23 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

How could 111A become part of 115 if it isn't taken off Cottage Grove to some extent? Though I see your point about keeping access to the Red Line for Cottage Grove riders. I had said originally that 115 should run via Cottage-111th-Doty-103rd-Cottage, but maybe 115th-Doty-(turn around at Walmart)-111th-Cottage would make more sense. That way people between 111th and 115th wouldn't have to walk more than 2 blocks to catch the 115.

Sure it would run on Doty to that extent, but beyond that extent there is no need to pull the #115 from its Cottage Grove routing. 

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

How could 111A become part of 115 if it isn't taken off Cottage Grove to some extent?

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Sure it would run on Doty to that extent, but beyond that extent there is no need to pull the #115 from its Cottage Grove routing. 

Just run either 111 or 115 via 111th and Doty and back to the regular route.

43 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Just run either 111 or 115 via 111th and Doty and back to the regular route.

Now why didn't I think of that?

However, one issue I didn't think of before is that making 111A part of 115 would break the connection with 111, at least in the westbound direction. So, better to combine 111A with 111 than with 115.

8 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

why dose the cta have the 111A and it should be called the 115A because its the pullman shuttle not the king drive shuttle.

It has been mentioned here before. There was a contract with the developer for CTA service to Pullman Park, and the alderman insisted that CTA honor it, so it did the minimum possible.

However, however CTA numbers it is its business.

route ideas part 1

32 Clybourn/Oak start: westin hotel end:Belmont and elston/california

61 Augusta start chicago blue line end: Thatcher/Iowa

149 Ridge/Michigan express start: Congress plaza end: Howard station express from Michigan/Delaware to Hollywood

155 extened to Arther/Home

58 Ravenswood start: Wellington end: Lunt

54 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

I don't understand this one. What street is it going to run on, as Ravenswood is a side street.

What I would like is to extend the 50 Damen north on Clark to Ridge & then up Ridge to Howard & use the terminal at Howard/Western to return. There's no N/S service between Clark & Western from Foster to Howard now.

The 96 Lunt, should also be moved to Pratt. The only reason it was on Lunt, which is just a side street with no parking on one side of the street, is because until 1979, Pratt was exactly 16 feet wide from Seeley to Western, due to the old Edgewater Golf Club, which was too narrow for two buses to pass, unless they continued to buy those special narrow buses that were used to the former Lake St. route.

When the state bought the club, it ceded land to the city to widen the street to its current standard two way arterial street width.

27 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Why not just have that route extend west to Jefferson Park Blue Line Station? Same goes with #84.

In the case of 155, because mostly in Pace territory. Also, 155 east of Kedzie is heavy, 155A west of there died for lack of passenger generators. Search the forum for "Superdawg Feeder."

With the 84/155 suggestion, why triple up on an inefficient 85A (also overlapping 225/226 or 270)?

BTW, why not enforce the applicable Community Guideline that a passenger generator must be specified?

And

3 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Where the blank is this? Somewhere in Park Ridge? Is the 45th President's childhood home a passenger generator? Closer to Touhy (290)  or 68 anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

In the case of 155, because mostly in Pace territory. Also, 155 east of Kedzie is heavy, 155A west of there died for lack of passenger generators. Search the forum for "Superdawg Feeder."

With the 84/155 suggestion, why triple up on an inefficient 85A (also overlapping 225/226 or 270)?

BTW, why not enforce the applicable Community Guideline that a passenger generator must be specified?

And

Where the blank is this? Somewhere in Park Ridge? Is the 45th President's childhood home a passenger generator? Closer to Touhy (290)  or 68 anyway.

Arthur/Home [correct spelling] is two blocks from Maine South HS, which is a bizarre place to end a bus route..

As for the 155A, of course it died as it ran only every 30 minutes if I remember correctly.

Hillary grew up on Wisner, north of Touhy, just a few blocks from Uptown Park Ridge. I think they call the Devon business district downtown PK.

4 minutes ago, strictures said:

As for the 155A, of course it died as it ran only every 30 minutes if I remember correctly.

Running it every 10 minutes would only quadruple the deficit.

That gets back to the point why there has to be a traffic generator. Bridgeport and Chinatown claim they can generate traffic on 31, and they will have 6 months to demonstrate it. There is nothing much to generate traffic on Devon west of Kedzie, and that has been discussed before. Note also that Nortran or Pace also canceled 211 along that stretch.

Only thing I can see as a possible restoration is the X80 Irving Park Express. It got you from Chicago to the Harlem Irving Plaza in Norridge in about 30-35 minutes. Run it from 9a-7p Monday-Saturday and 9a-5p on Sunday. In addition, it gets you to far west routes along Irving Park like Cicero/Milwaukee, Central, Austin, Narragansett and Harlem quicker than the 80 does.

I'm not familiar with the other routes mentioned above.

14 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Only thing I can see as a possible restoration is the X80 Irving Park Express. It got you from Chicago to the Harlem Irving Plaza in Norridge in about 30-35 minutes. Run it from 9a-7p Monday-Saturday and 9a-5p on Sunday. In addition, it gets you to far west routes along Irving Park like Cicero/Milwaukee, Central, Austin, Narragansett and Harlem quicker than the 80 does.

That would make sense. In addition, the justification for it was to get people from Lakeview to O'Hare via la linea Azul.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Running it every 10 minutes would only quadruple the deficit.

That gets back to the point why there has to be a traffic generator. Bridgeport and Chinatown claim they can generate traffic on 31, and they will have 6 months to demonstrate it. There is nothing much to generate traffic on Devon west of Kedzie, and that has been discussed before. Note also that Nortran or Pace also canceled 211 along that stretch.

What I would like is every other 53 to run north of Peterson to Devon/Kedzie.

The sole reason the 53 ends at Peterson was due to the C&NW grade crossing at Granville/Pulaski when there were streetcars. CSL avoided grade crossings if possible, even after switching to trolley buses

I known people who did live around there & they hated the lack of CTA service in that area.

8 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

route ideas part 1

32 Clybourn/Oak start: westin hotel end:Belmont and elston/california

61 Augusta start chicago blue line end: Thatcher/Iowa

149 Clark/Michigan express start: Congress plaza end: Howard station express from Michigan/Delaware to Hollywood

There is no need for the 149 suggestion because it's merely a mirror of the 147, and the time saving from the proposed five block longer express zone is negligible especially when taking rush hour LSD traffic into consideration. Besides CTA just streamlined the Lake Shore express numbers three and a half years ago. So it's doubtful they're going to reverse course and go back to a convoluted glut of route numbers. On the 58, there don't seem to be very many traffic generators for that to justify running a bus route in duplication to the UP-N Metra tracks. That's not even counting that Ravenswood is a narrow street, something CTA goes out of its way primarily to avoid a main portion of a bus route on outside of the 96 operating on Lunt. 

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

This suggestion makes a lot of sense, and you named a good number of traffic generators that supported the route when it still existed and would do so again if CTA brought it back. 

1 hour ago, strictures said:

What I would like is every other 53 to run north of Peterson to Devon/Kedzie.

The sole reason the 53 ends at Peterson was due to the C&NW grade crossing at Granville/Pulaski when there were streetcars. CSL avoided grade crossings if possible, even after switching to trolley buses

I known people who did live around there & they hated the lack of CTA service in that area.

This was suggested before, and as I recall there was doubt for it there were really that much of a demand for this proposed extension. Also you'd be creating a pretty crowded situation at the Devon/Kedzie terminal in AM rush with 82, 96 and 155 already there and that terminal basically structurally designed designed for only three routes.