2016 South Side Service Changes

Busjack

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

Probably similar to the 67/79/71st bus.

I had thought that someone here was citing off the schedule database in the CTA computer, but undoubtedly this is just another mess up.

Right. Our friend Garmon spotted that one that you just remembered as I recall. 

5 minutes ago, jajuan said:

True. There was the contest on how many errors were on that sign Garmon captured; it was at least 2. The 67/79/71 error was on other sign combinations on that route, such as in Jackson Park.

20 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Good eye. I think someone who keyed in the info into the software that generates CTA's signs simply made an error. That person may have had the Jeffery Jump on their mind when keying in the #26 info. 

14 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Probably similar to the 67/79/71st bus.

I had thought that someone here was citing off the schedule database in the CTA computer, but undoubtedly this is just another mess up.

11 minutes ago, jajuan said:

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

True. There was the contest on how many errors were on that sign Garmon captured; it was at least 2. The 67/79/71 error was on other sign combinations on that route, such as in Jackson Park.

Idk if this is an error though considering andrethebusman just stated above that 26 is officially ending at 103/stony Island and ik we're usually against garage rumor and all but I have yet to see any post from him not become true.  I'm gonna swing through the south shore area to see if the 26 stops down there have changed to say the same thing considering there wouldn't really be a reason to touch those in that area if no changes were to be made

19 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

It may be a possibility that 115th trips could run during the same hours of 95th trips don't you think?

But it doesn't negate that the 115th trips would be alternating ones as Andre confirmed. He also confirmed the 115th trips will operate till approximately 10PM, which is a three hour earlier end time than the 95th trips. I caught just now in that same post that Andre also appears to confirm that the 26 will indeed operate to 103rd/Stony Island and the sign wasn't an error. So maybe Bushunter is on to something as far as CTA possibly wanting to put the pull in/pull out trips to use. That would make that part of the 26 in that case an unannounced service enhancement that supplements the 100 and 106 if it is extended from 106th/Mackinaw to 103rd/Stony Island following a route alignment one would think buses would do on deadheads between the garage and 106th/Mackinaw.  

16 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

via 106-Torrence-103. In reality every single trip already comes this way to and from the garage already.

I guess it doesn't make any difference if it still serves around 106/Mackinaw or Burley (which it would). It was obvious that like J14 and 15, this was to get to the garage.

42 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

via 106-Torrence-103. In reality every single trip already comes this way to and from the garage already.

Why not check any southbound 26 bus stop south of downtown, and see if any of them say to 103/Stony, then we may know that this may be happening in less than two weeks.

20 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Why not check any southbound 26 bus stop south of downtown, and see if any of them say to 103/Stony, then we may know that this may be happening in less than two weeks.

Already beat you to it.  I'll let you guys know tomorrow yeah? 

Here is one that I just became aware of - the Union Station Bus Terminal opens 9/5. Routing via Adams-Wacker-Van Buren-Jefferson into terminal, then out via Canal and Jackson. Another couple of changes at 95/Ryan - 111 and 115 will now load at old 95W/381 spot, leaving only 100 on outer lane. EB 95 and N5 will load where 95E now does, WB 95 and 381 will load on 95th bridge.

19 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Here is one that I just became aware of - the Union Station Bus Terminal opens 9/5. Routing via Adams-Wacker-Van Buren-Jefferson into terminal, then out via Canal and Jackson. Another couple of changes at 95/Ryan - 111 and 115 will now load at old 95W/381 spot, leaving only 100 on outer lane. EB 95 and N5 will load where 95E now does, WB 95 and 381 will load on 95th bridge.

Can you get a picture of the new 95th street route bus sign?

14 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Guess I might as well kill two birds with one stone lmao.  I'll get it tomorrow

Maybe useful is whether there are signs east of 106-Mackinaw showing a stopping pattern for 26, although we'll eventually find out. If the intent is to provide some service on a garage trip, the counter consideration is not extending service hours, especially since 15 runs local on 103rd.

15 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Here is one that I just became aware of - the Union Station Bus Terminal opens 9/5. Routing via Adams-Wacker-Van Buren-Jefferson into terminal, then out via Canal and Jackson

Ouch. There is no jefferson entrance so im assuming you mean to jackson and clinton That might cause a choke point in the right lane of jackson. Plus a right at jackson clinton and a sharp left sounds like a nightmare for an artic. I wonder why they just dont do van buren canal adams clinton. 

17 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

It's not necessary. Andre already confirmed it off of info he likely saw in one of CTA's computers. Don't forget he is an employee of CTA who has that kind of access. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Ouch. There is no jefferson entrance so im assuming you mean to jackson and clinton That might cause a choke point in the right lane of jackson. Plus a right at jackson clinton and a sharp left sounds like a nightmare for an artic. I wonder why they just dont do van buren canal adams clinton. 

Not necessarily BH since an artic has the turn radius of a 30-footer.  And it's likely that they're simply extending off the current detour instead of doing Van Burn-Canal-Adams-Clinton because they figure that would save time considering Canal becomes snarled with heavy traffic near Union Station during the PM rush.

16 minutes ago, jajuan said:

And it's likely that they're simply extending off the current detour instead of doing Van Burn-Canal-Adams-Clinton because they figure that would save time considering Canal becomes snarled with heavy traffic near Union Station during the PM rush.

The question may be whether they stop shorting 1 and 28 at the river,. Also, if this affects buses going through on Jackson, such as 7 and 126, or through on Canal/Clinton, such as 60 and 157.

Southbound at 67th/Jeffery. 

I was out south so might as well gotten it. I checked the northbound sign there too, and it's the same as it is. So either they haven't updated yet, or if this extension is legit it will only be southbound buses that go to Stony Island.

Also, it seems no signs were yet updated for #4 along Cottage Grove Ave. or along any of the 95th street routes.

image.jpeg

23 hours ago, Busjack said:

The question may be whether they stop shorting 1 and 28 at the river,. Also, if this affects buses going through on Jackson, such as 7 and 126, or through on Canal/Clinton, such as 60 and 157.

Since the new terminal is supposed to serve the #1 (and #28 also) along with the other routes that normally terminate at Union Station it shouldn't be a need for the short turn at the river any longer. The other reason for the short turn besides the Adams Bridge being closed is that the southbound bus lanes on Canal at Union Station were permanently removed as well. The opening of the transit terminal in a week and a half negates that. 

15 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Southbound at 67th/Jeffery. 

I was out south so might as well gotten it. I checked the northbound sign there too, and it's the same as it is. So either they haven't updated yet, or if this extension is legit it will only be southbound buses that go to Stony Island.

Also, it seems no signs were yet updated for #4 along Cottage Grove Ave. or along any of the 95th street routes.

image.jpeg

The current CTA practice is to now only give the information for a route in that one direction that a given bus stop serves, and there are no reports that the service times are changing beyond the announced extension of service times that CTA already implemented at the start of the current summer pick. So unless the north terminus is changing from Chicago/Mies Van Der Rohe (or Fairbanks with some trips), there is no need to update the northbound side bus stop signs for the extension to be legit. The multiple southbound signs and Andre who has a record with this forum as a CTA employee forum member who finds these things out is enough to confirm the legitimacy of the extension. Even without Andre's multiple posts on this that folks seem to be ignoring, I think we all are bright enough to conclude and recognize CTA isn't going to change a boatload of bus stop signs if they weren't making a change to the given route. At any rate, the extension supplements the #100 (along 106th) and J14* and 15* (along 103rd) as well as partially restores bus service along 106th Street up to Ewing that was cut from 106 and attached to the 100 beyond the rush hour only times that the 100 operates. 

*I previously misspoke in a prior post and said the 106 was route supplemented on 103rd when of course that route hasn't operated on 103rd east of Stony Island in about 20 years

4 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I checked the northbound sign there too, and it's the same as it is.

Northbound sign would only be "North to Michigan/Chicago" so that doesn't change. {The SB sign did not say Michigan/Chicago to 103rd/Stony Island.} But jajuan said that.

As I indicated above,what would be a change for northbound is signs on 103rd to 106-Mackinaw. What you need is a sign with panels for 14/15/26.

I see though that they did not repeat the error on 67.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

Northbound sign would only be "North to Michigan/Chicago" so that doesn't change. {The SB sign did not say Michigan/Chicago to 103rd/Stony Island.} But jajuan said that.

As I indicated above,what would be a change for northbound is signs on 103rd to 106-Mackinaw. What you need is a sign with panels for 14/15/26.

I see though that they did not repeat the error on 67.

I know that, I was talking about the routing map on the NB sign.

New alerts for #4, #10 #26, #31, and #95W/95E are now on the CTA website. All will be in effect Sunday, September 4th, except #31 which will begin service Tuesday, September 6th.

4 - Cottage Grove 
Service will be extended from Cottage Grove/95th to Cottage Grove/115th.

Buses will alternate between operating to/from Cottage Grove/115th and continuing to operate to/from 95th/St. Lawrence.

Southbound trips to Cottage Grove/115th will operate via Cottage Grove, 95th, Cottage Grove, 115th, and Front, ending their trips on Front north of 115th in front of the Kensington- 115th Metra station.

Northbound trips from Cottage Grove/115th will begin at Front/115th and operate via Front, 114th, King Drive, 111th, Cottage Grove, and 95th, then resume the current route on Cottage Grove.

Service to/from Cottage Grove/115th will operate between approximately 5am and 10pm, weekdays; approximately 6am and 10pm, Saturdays; and approximately 7am and 10pm Sundays/holidays.

Service between Cottage Grove/95th and downtown is not affected.

10 - Museum of Science and Industry

Service between Labor Day and Memorial Day will be discontinued.

Service will continue to operate during the summer season only, from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Buses will operate weekdays, weekends and holidays during the summer season.

Current service routing and frequency (every 30 minutes) are not affected.

Why is service being changed? 
This service is subsidized. Service is being changed due to insufficient funding subsidy for the route.

26 South Shore Express  

Service will be extended from 106th/Mackinaw to 103rd/Stony Island.

Buses will operate in both directions via 106th, Torrence and 103rd.

Service between 106th/Mackinaw and downtown is not affected.

The route is being extended to provide improved, more convenient service for customers, and provide enhanced connections with the #J14, #15, #28, #71, #106 and #353 bus routes.

31 - 31st 

The new #31 31st service will operate weekdays between 33rd/King Drive and the Ashland Orange Line station via King Drive (westbound) or Rhodes (eastbound), 31st, State, 35th, LaSalle (westbound) or Wentworth (eastbound), 31st, Lock, Archer, and Ashland.

#31 buses will operate from approximately 10am and 7pm on weekdays.

Service will run approximately every 30 minutes.

The new route will offer improved east-west transit connections, with transfers available to the Ashland Orange Line, Sox-35th Red Line, and 35th-Bronzeville-IIT Green Line 'L' stops.

The #31 route is being added as part of a 180-day experiment to assess potential ridership demand and analyze the effectiveness of the service being tested.

95W - W. 95th/95E - 93rd/95th

Service on the #95E 93rd/95th and #95W West 95th routes will be combined and replaced by the new #95 95th route.

#95 service will operate over the same routing as the #95E and #95W services, but will operate through the 95th Red Line station rather than beginning/ending there, eliminating the need to transfer buses.

#95 buses will operate weekdays and weekends/holidays between 92nd/Buffalo and 87th/Damen via 92nd, Exchange, 93rd, Stony Island, 95th, Woodlawn, 93rd, Cottage Grove, 95th, the 95th/Dan Ryan Red Line bus terminal (eastbound only, westbound will stop on 95th St), 95th, Western, 87th, and Damen.

The #95 route will operate approximately from 4:30am to 12:30am weekdays and Saturdays, and 5am to 12:30am on Sundays/holidays.

If you want to go to the webpage and see: 

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/bus_status.aspx?Page=Upcoming

1.) Cottage Grove 

2) South Shore 

3.) 31st Street 

4.) 95th Street 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2