2016 South Side Service Changes

Busjack

6 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Service will continue to operate during the summer season only, from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

No service for Christmas Around the World. boo hoo.

7 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

The route is being extended to provide improved, more convenient service for customers, and provide enhanced connections with the #J14, #15, #28, #71, #106 and #353 bus routes.

Essentially it does make up somewhat for cutting 106 at the 103rd Garage.

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 11:20 AM, jajuan said:

It's not necessary. Andre already confirmed it off of info he likely saw in one of CTA's computers. Don't forget he is an employee of CTA who has that kind of access. 

Not necessarily BH since an artic has the turn radius of a 30-footer.  And it's likely that they're simply extending off the current detour instead of doing Van Burn-Canal-Adams-Clinton because they figure that would save time considering Canal becomes snarled with heavy traffic near Union Station during the PM rush.

I dont know you are asking how many routes to do this detour? I would at least make jackson clinton a far side stop. Near side would be a nightmare. Having buses roll through clinton jackson sb into the terminal makes sense to me. You know how many people  will turn around the bus at jackson eb and then the operator  has a blind spot from the turn and you are asking him to snake back left. Thats going to be accident  central. 

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

I dont know you are asking how many routes to do this detour? I would at least make jackson clinton a far side stop. Near side would be a nightmare. Having buses roll through clinton jackson sb into the terminal makes sense to me. You know how many people  will turn around the bus at jackson eb and then the operator  has a blind spot from the turn and you are asking him to snake back left. Thats going to be accident  central. 

We're only talking about the routes that normally terminate at Union Station so that's only five routes. So how is that too many routes? And no one said those buses had to stop at Jackson and Clinton when the bus terminal is in fact right there. As for the artics, from experience with riding the 22 along Clark Street's  tighter spots, CTA operators have shown themselves to be quite skillful with handling artics in tight spaces.

Yeah but what about 126 or 7? They do. What does the #123 do nowadays? 151 has many buses thats a big route and you throw in 156 and 28 and its like Piccadilly Circus. At least 124 dont have this issue. I wonder will the exit have its own light? Seem kind of screwed up designwise. All exits and entrances should have been on jackson 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:29 AM, BusHunter said:

Ouch. There is no jefferson entrance so im assuming you mean to jackson and clinton That might cause a choke point in the right lane of jackson. Plus a right at jackson clinton and a sharp left sounds like a nightmare for an artic. I wonder why they just dont do van buren canal adams clinton. 

Correct - there are three lanes. From north to south: Lane 1 - 28 and 124; Lane 2 - 151; Lane 3 - 156. 1 and 121 load out on Jackson. Notice 156 goes in here. Note that 156 will no longer go to Harrison/Desplaines, but end at CUS terminal. 125 (and late evening 36's) will be only users of Harrison/Desplaines.

At least all the PM rush #156's that pullout via Franklin won't be going to Union Station. That would be nothing short of a nightmare as a great percentage, seems like 70 percent use that in the afternoon. Still #156's not going to Harrison/Desplaines will add to this. They'll be much better off once this Adams bridge opens.

As I was trying to explain to Jajuan, I don't think such a turn exists for artics where they snake within 50 feet. Plus they have double the fun on exit. But for some reason I think the exit will be easier as it's much wider and you can cut off the traffic. I suppose you could approach Jackson/Clinton in the 2nd or 3rd lane on Jackson and just do a wide turn and cut everyone off. This way you wouldn't have the left side to worry about. Just try and do a 2nd or 3rd lane to 2nd or 3rd lane. Probably smarter to try and use both lanes but the auto drivers may not go for that. This is something I'm going to have to see as it sounds interesting.

15 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but what about 126 or 7? They do. What does the #123 do nowadays? 151 has many buses thats a big route and you throw in 156 and 28 and its like Piccadilly Circus. At least 124 dont have this issue. I wonder will the exit have its own light? Seem kind of screwed up designwise. All exits and entrances should have been on jackson 

What about the 126 or the 7? You're acting like those don't share Jackson with several other bus routes downtown already which in fact they do.  They'll just be doing so east of Jefferson instead of east of Canal. Plus I think you meant 121 as 123 hasn't existed for almost four years. Busjack answered that one in the Bus Rapid Transit (Phase II) thread.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

At least all the PM rush #156's that pullout via Franklin won't be going to Union Station. That would be nothing short of a nightmare as a great percentage, seems like 70 percent use that in the afternoon. Still #156's not going to Harrison/Desplaines will add to this. They'll be much better off once this Adams bridge opens.

As I was trying to explain to Jajuan, I don't think such a turn exists for artics where they snake within 50 feet. Plus they have double the fun on exit. But for some reason I think the exit will be easier as it's much wider and you can cut off the traffic. I suppose you could approach Jackson/Clinton in the 2nd or 3rd lane on Jackson and just do a wide turn and cut everyone off. This way you wouldn't have the left side to worry about. Just try and do a 2nd or 3rd lane to 2nd or 3rd lane. Probably smarter to try and use both lanes but the auto drivers may not go for that. This is something I'm going to have to see as it sounds interesting.

The PM 148, which is all artics just about, has buses performing a similar maneuver on the north side via Clarendon, Lawrence, and Marine where Clarendon and Marine are at their closest to each other. If they can make that set of turns, they can accomplish this one especially with Andre reporting that 151 will be in the middle lane inside the terminal and the 156 in the third lane, which is the lane positioned farthest from Jackson. 

14 minutes ago, jajuan said:

What about the 126 or the 7? You're acting like those don't share Jackson with several other bus routes downtown already which in fact they do.  They'll just be doing so east of Jefferson instead of east of La Salle. Plus I think you meant 121 as 123 hasn't existed for almost four years. Busjack answered that one in the Bus Rapid Transit (Phase II) thread.

The PM 148, which is all artics just about, has buses performing a similar maneuver on the north side via Clarendon, Lawrence, and Marine where Clarendon and Marine are at their closest to each other. If they can make that set of turns, they can accomplish this one especially with Andre reporting that 151 will be in the middle lane inside the terminal and the 156 in the third lane, which is the lane positioned farthest from Jackson. 

I'll have to look that up as I'm unfamiliar 

23 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I'll have to look that up as I'm unfamiliar 

It's on my side of town, so I encounter it weekly. That set of turns take up so little space and are so close together, that you can't even see it clearly on the BusTracker map without blowing the map up to about a 3/4-mile radius. And my prior post should have said east of Canal, not east of La Salle.

13 minutes ago, jajuan said:

It's on my side of town

Which raises the question: Since this isn't on the south side of town, why isn't it in a 2016 fall pick discussion or under the discussion of 2016 fall picks or Loop BRT, where the Union Station Transit Center is otherwise covered?

There was a connection between Red Line bus and 95, but not 156.

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Which raises the question: Since this isn't on the south side of town, why isn't it in a 2016 fall pick discussion or under the discussion of 2016 fall picks or Loop BRT, where the Union Station Transit Center is otherwise covered?

There was a connection between Red Line bus and 95, but not 156.

True it should be in on of those but Andre injected the tidbit about the Union Station Transit Center in one of his post speaking of the #26 extension, and admittedly it snowballed from there.

11 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Correct - there are three lanes. From north to south: Lane 1 - 28 and 124; Lane 2 - 151; Lane 3 - 156. 1 and 121 load out on Jackson. Notice 156 goes in here. Note that 156 will no longer go to Harrison/Desplaines, but end at CUS terminal. 125 (and late evening 36's) will be only users of Harrison/Desplaines.

Routes #1, #28, #124, #151, & #156 alerts are now posted online. And as @andrethebusman said, 156 will be ending their trips at the USTC now.

1.) #1, #28, #151

2.)  #124

3.) #156

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:04 AM, BusHunter said:

So it's basically bidirectional for the PM rush. Wow. Never thought I'd see that happen. Michigan avenue slacks off after 7:30PM. It will be interesting to see if #26 can attract riders in the late evening/early night period. I don't know if I would have done nb's so late, but maybe sb's would work that late. So they are definitely going to need more buses at 103rd for this. If they keep #115 they'll need buses for that and the #4 extension but the #4 will still probably remain at 77th unless they want to possibly overcrowd 103rd.

I can't help wondering with all the service increases out south if this is some kind of consolation prize for no Red line extension. Service seems to be slated to be more frequent than some main line routes in the city. As usual this seems political, but hopefully CTA can expand some more service elsewhere in the city because now the SE side looks favored. Interesting how some service expansions can be 6 month testing periods and others are slated in stone.

Here's what I think might happen, the CTA might split the 4 between 77th and 103rd, 103rd could handle the 115th runs and 77th could handle the 95th/St Lawrence (CSU) runs

2 hours ago, cta5658 said:

Here's what I think might happen, the CTA might split the 4 between 77th and 103rd, 103rd could handle the 115th runs and 77th could handle the 95th/St Lawrence (CSU) runs

Not really any point to that. There isn't a common relief point with 4 (since it doesn't pull into 95th-Red Line) unless the drivers want to hang out on the street corner at 103rd and Cottage.

Also, the possibility is good that a single bus will be interlined to do both CSU and 115th (again, a Pace example, a 213 that goes to Highland Park goes to Northbrook Court on the next trip, because that's how the timing works).

I bet this only requires one or two additional buses, but like I did with 9 and 49, will do a before and after.

On 8/27/2016 at 11:23 PM, Busjack said:

, but like I did with 9 and 49, will do a before and after.

At 8:30 this morning, 20 buses.

4 nb 8-29.jpg

4 sb 8_29.jpg

Also, I'm sure sw will offer Mr. McMahon's knee to the nuts for the first picture of a 4 bus stop sign with a map similar to what @TaylorTank1229 posted. Charlotte is eligible.

On August 27, 2016 at 9:15 PM, cta5658 said:

Are you talking about this pick or future picks? Cause right now 77th has this route split. One bus 95th. One bus 115th. 

16 minutes ago, ajm522 said:

Are you talking about this pick or future picks? Cause right now 77th has this route split. One bus 95th. One bus 115th. 

"Right now" isn't until Sept. 4. Today is August 29. (Upcomiing alert.) As I noted in the charts I posted above, the only route is to 95th (as of 8:30 a.m.; no variant pulldown).

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

"Right now" isn't until Sept. 4. Today is August 29. (Upcomiing alert.) As I noted in the charts I posted above, the only route is to 95th (as of 8:30 a.m.; no variant pulldown).

I wasn't even talking about that. I was trying to say as of right now this upcoming pick will have one bus to 95th and one to 115th. 

1 minute ago, ajm522 said:

I wasn't even talking about that. I was trying to say as of right now this upcoming pick will have one bus to 95th and one to 115th. 

And, unless you have access to the pick system, you don't know how it will be assigned as of Sept. 4.

Just now, Busjack said:

And, unless you have access to the pick computer, you don't know how it will be assigned as of Sept. 4.

I do because I have talked to a number of 77th drivers who currently drive #4 and they said it's going to be 1:1. Most drivers I talked to said they got lucky and got only 95th turns. 

• Upvote 1