Locomotive 98 and 99

ibebobo

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Metra can't even get information correct on its own web/Facebook page.

"Lookin' fresh! We got a preview today of an F59PHI locomotive in Metra colors"

Not quite Metra Colors. More like a 3rd paint scheme...and even then, it's not consistent

with all of the so called new stuff. It is all being rushed because they want the stuff out

as soon as possible. Apparently they are not even sending them to KYD for painting,

they are using rollers and decals at Western Avenue. They claim that new locos would

cost $3 million each and that they are saving $2 million on the cost of each loco. But what

they forgot to figure is:

- The paint

- Reconfiguring the HEP system

- Reconfiguring the braking systems

- Reconfiguring the cable set up.

- adding PTC garbage

When it is all said and done, they probably could have had 15 (instead of 24) new engines complete

with warranties and the such for about the same money being spent. There will be problems with these,

hopefully not as bad as the F59PHs (97, 98, 99) that spend as much time in the shop as on the road.

1 hour ago, trainman8119 said:

adding PTC garbage

Metra would have had to pay for that, one way or another.

Metra previously claimed that the only savings was getting a fairly recently rehabbed Amtrak compared to rehabbing some of the Metra locomotives that hadn't been rehabbed. New locos are a reference only to the extent that Metra is crying for a state capital program (as noted here).

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Metra would have had to pay for that, one way or another.

Metra previously claimed that the only savings was getting a fairly recently rehabbed Amtrak compared to rehabbing some of the Metra locomotives that hadn't been rehabbed. New locos are a reference only to the extent that Metra is crying for a state capital program (as noted here).

If metra got the funds they wanted to buy new locomotives.. which kind would they get? Would be nice to see some Siemens chargers on the line. What are your thoughts on this?

• 3 months later...

They are being sent for rebuilt as part of standard midlife rehab. Maybe they'll have the same fate as loco 205.

They are not good engines and have been trouble since day one. Interesting that they are sending all 3 seeing

as how there is such a locomotive shortage crisis.

2 hours ago, WCR said:

F59PH #97 has been shipped south to an unknown facility (either in Georgia or Florida) for rebuilding. Reportedly 98 and 99 are to follow. Not my photo, but here it is on a CSX train to Waycross.

Screenshot_20190503-193330_Flickr.jpg

Probably going to a Progress Rail facility in FL. I can't find an exact list of their properties though

14 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

They are being sent for rebuilt as part of standard midlife rehab. Maybe they'll have the same fate as loco 205.

They are not good engines and have been trouble since day one. Interesting that they are sending all 3 seeing

as how there is such a locomotive shortage crisis.

It looks like they're only sending one at a time, I saw 98 in service yesterday. The PHIs are helping pick up the slack as well.

Edit: There are also supposed to be an additional three F59PHs coming from SCAX (Metrolink) eventually to be numbered 94-96.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/02/20-metra-board-approves-locomotive-purchase

I wonder if 97-99 are the three locomotives being mentioned here. That seems off to me, though, because they aren't being purchased. This article does make me more confident Progress Rail is the one to rehab them.

They are oversized freight locos being rebuilt by Progress for passenger service. Seems like Progress has had a real sweetheart deal going lately.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/02/20-metra-board-approves-locomotive-purchase

I wonder if 97-99 are the three locomotives being mentioned here. That seems off to me, though, because they aren't being purchased. This article does make me more confident Progress Rail is the one to rehab them.

Those would be 94-96 from Metrolink 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WCR said:

Those would be 94-96 from Metrolink 

Nope...

From the article....

"Metra on Wednesday approved a $71 million contract to purchase 15 remanufactured locomotives from Progress Rail Locomotives with options to buy up to 27 additional locomotives if more funding becomes available.
According to a Metra announcement, Progress Rail will take existing EMD SD70MAC freight locomotives and upgrade and configure them for passenger use. All components will either be refurbished, upgraded or new. The newly remanufactured locomotives will be designated as SD70MACH locomotives."

49 minutes ago, trainman8119 said:

Nope...

From the article....

"Metra on Wednesday approved a $71 million contract to purchase 15 remanufactured locomotives from Progress Rail Locomotives with options to buy up to 27 additional locomotives if more funding becomes available.
According to a Metra announcement, Progress Rail will take existing EMD SD70MAC freight locomotives and upgrade and configure them for passenger use. All components will either be refurbished, upgraded or new. The newly remanufactured locomotives will be designated as SD70MACH locomotives."

I think he might be mentioning this part

"The addition this year of 21 used F59PHI locomotives purchased from Amtrak and three F59PHs from Progress Rail will reduce that percentage to about 45 percent. The addition of the remanufactured freight locomotives will reduce that percentage to 14 percent by 2023, he said."

The locomotives being sent are F59PHs and the locomotives from Metrolink are F59PHs, so I'm wondering if this is bad wording on the author's part or there are another 3 locomotives we don't know about yet.

Yes. So to clarify:

-Former Amtrak F59PHI 73-93 are being delivered as-is.

-F59PH 94-96 have been purchased by Metra from Metrolink and will undergo rebuild by Progress Rail before delivery.

-Existing F59PH 97-99 are being sent for rebuild.

-15 SD70MACH (unknown #) will be rebuilt by Progress Rail for Metra in the next couple years.

Of all these, only the latter are supposed to actually replace anything. Everything else is for expansion (probably spare power and "reverse-commute" trips).

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:37 PM, WCR said:

Yes. So to clarify:

-Former Amtrak F59PHI 73-93 are being delivered as-is.

-F59PH 94-96 have been purchased by Metra from Metrolink and will undergo rebuild by Progress Rail before delivery.

-Existing F59PH 97-99 are being sent for rebuild.

-15 SD70MACH (unknown #) will be rebuilt by Progress Rail for Metra in the next couple years.

Of all these, only the latter are supposed to actually replace anything. Everything else is for expansion (probably spare power and "reverse-commute" trips).

Actually, the Amtrak F59PHIs will replace some 100 series engines. 215 has already died and being scavenged for parts. Some of the functional are supposed

to be sent to the UP. Early discussions have the MACHs perhaps destined to the BN. The goal is to have the Milwaukee District be equipped with Amtrak and

MP36 locos. As of the last I heard, nothing is headed to the Rock Island, unless some MP36s find their way there. Nobody anywhere has said anything about

94-96...these are news to me. At some point, the F59PHIs will need a midlife rebuild from what has been said.

• 2 weeks later...