Sign in to follow this  
2200SeriesFan

what Metra service expansions to currently unserved communities, would you most like to see happen?

3 hours ago, richii0909 said:

From what I have heard, the PTC system has to be reprogrammed with how many cars/locomotives and the route/line/run itself. I believe it only takes 5-10 minutes to program it.   

Which is consistent with Metra saying it takes 6 minutes.

10 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Reading this indicates a bit of chicken and egg. Currently, reverse commute trains go to or from Deerfield, and fill in gaps when the single track to Fox Lake can't support reverse service. Looks like Metra got better signals and private funding to run a couple of trains to Lake Forest and will put in the crossover later. However, unless Abbvie and others provide private shuttles (I was told at one time that Abbott did to Waukegan), it isn't going to accomplish much, as this gets the train about 3 miles further into Lake County, while a Wadsworth extension would go right past Abbort Park.

30 minutes ago, west towns said:

Let em walk to work its good exercise

A fair point, but most of the potential passengers are currently driving to work and could presumably continue to do so.

13 hours ago, west towns said:

Let em walk to work its good exercise

13 hours ago, Pace831 said:

A fair point, but most of the potential passengers are currently driving to work and could presumably continue to do so.

Neither the Deerfield nor Lake Forest station is walking distance to much work. Abbott Park, which was mentioned in the article, is about 8 miles from the Lake Forest MilwN station. Only employers near the Lake Forest station are Sunset Foods, a NorthShore Health System where Lovell's used to be, a  couple of bank branches, and the world's most architecturally correct Mickey D's.

As I said above, a shuttle is needed for the Lake Forest extension to make any sense.

Looking further into this expanded service, the news for the reverse commuters is the new early AM train leaving Chicago at 5:35 AM. I believe that a few years ago, Metra and Pace collaborated (unsuccessfully) to create the early morning 638 bus to serve this market. Also, these reverse commute improvements enable some regular commute improvements. The afternoon express trips from the north suburbs to downtown will probably also be well received. 

I did some internet sleuthing, and it looks like Abbott has their own private shuttle system that connects to the Metra stations. So, they may be planning to take advantage of the new run to get people into work for the 7 am hour.

28 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

I believe that a few years ago, Metra and Pace collaborated (unsuccessfully) to create the early morning 638 bus to serve this market.

It was 618, and didn't last long. Intent was to get to Lake-Cook by 6 a.m., so this is about the same time frame.