what Metra service expansions to currently unserved communities, would you most like to see happen?

2200SeriesFan

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

In the article you posted, Lunda Thisted said something very interesting.   To paraphrase, she said the proposal should be about people and not agencies.  The transit systems should be integrated. 

I don't know if that would happen in my lifetime,  if ever.

I agree with Thisted’s quote in a general sense, but she’s contradicting herself. She says “The agencies should not be competing for riders,” which is exactly why Lightfoot opposes the plan. Lightfoot is probably correct that most people would choose the faster Metra over CTA if the fare difference were removed. The goal of this project is not to attract people who currently drive, so where would New Metra riders come from if not CTA?

This also seems like another indication that the Red Line extension won’t be happening soon.

5 hours ago, Pace831 said:

This also seems like another indication that the Red Line extension won’t be happening soon.

I'm guessing that any possible expansion is on hold until the RPM project on the North Side is completed.  I'm against any expansion, until all of the existing system is brought up to modern standards.  The CTA also needs to upgrade the Blue Line, both the trackage/roadbed & the power system.

It's also why I'm opposed to the idiotic & unnecessary Peterson/Ridge station being built on the UP North Line, as the Rogers Park station is not only a dump, but the platforms are too short for the rush hour trains, there are so many people getting off in the afternoon rush, what with just two overburdened stairs, people are now using the ramp to go down, that's how dangerous the stairs are now.   Plus there used to be a station there until about 1960, called Kenmore, with yet another, far fancier station 3 blocks south of there at Rosehill Cemetery, complete with an elevator, though for coffins, not people.  The sole reason for the station is that ex-alderman Pat O'Connor's wife, has large real estate holdings in the area & he wanted it to make her more money.  Incredibly, the new alderman, Andre Vasquez is also in favor of it, probably because he lives just a block away from it!

11 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I agree with Thisted’s quote in a general sense, but she’s contradicting herself. She says “The agencies should not be competing for riders,” which is exactly why Lightfoot opposes the plan. Lightfoot is probably correct that most people would choose the faster Metra over CTA if the fare difference were removed. The goal of this project is not to attract people who currently drive, so where would New Metra riders come from if not CTA?

If Cook County will indeed financially hold CTA harmless for loss of riders caused by the CMME initiative couldn't CTA redeploy the "excess" resources to other areas that have suffered cutbacks in recent years?

17 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

If Cook County will indeed financially hold CTA harmless for loss of riders caused by the CMME initiative couldn't CTA redeploy the "excess" resources to other areas that have suffered cutbacks in recent years?

That would be an interesting situation that I'm sure would result in a lot of arguing. If CTA did that, it wouldn't seem fair or necessary for Cook County to continue to subsidize routes that had service reduced as a result of losing riders to Metra.

7 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

The question I would ask is how much the County would have to subsidize Metra?  I don't see such a mass increase in Metra ridership that would offset the fare reductions and increased operating costs.