Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicagopcclcar

25 th CTA 2016 Holiday Train Schedule

69 posts in this topic

CTA Holiday Train Schedule 2016
• Sat., November 19 – Red Line
• Fri., November 25 – Green Line
• Sat., November 26 – Green Line
• Tue., November 29 – Green and Orange Lines • Wed., November 30 – Brown and Orange Lines • Thu., December 1 – Brown and Orange Lines
• Fri., December 2 – Brown and Orange Lines
• Sat., December 3 – Brown and Orange Lines
• Tue., December 6 – Pink Line
• Wed., December 7 – Pink Line
• Thu., December 8 – Blue Line
• Fri., December 9 – Blue Line
• Sat., December 10 – Blue Line
• Tue., December 13 – Red Line
• Wed., December 14 – Purple Line
• Thu., December 15 – Red Line
• Fri., December 16 – Purple Line
• Sat., December 17 – Red and Purple Lines
• Thu., December 22 – Purple Line Express
• Fri., December 23 – Yellow Line

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

CTA Holiday Train Schedule 2016
• Sat., November 19 – Red Line
• Fri., November 25 – Green Line
• Sat., November 26 – Green Line
• Tue., November 29 – Green and Orange Lines • Wed., November 30 – Brown and Orange Lines • Thu., December 1 – Brown and Orange Lines
• Fri., December 2 – Brown and Orange Lines
• Sat., December 3 – Brown and Orange Lines
• Tue., December 6 – Pink Line
• Wed., December 7 – Pink Line
• Thu., December 8 – Blue Line
• Fri., December 9 – Blue Line
• Sat., December 10 – Blue Line
• Tue., December 13 – Red Line
• Wed., December 14 – Purple Line
• Thu., December 15 – Red Line
• Fri., December 16 – Purple Line
• Sat., December 17 – Red and Purple Lines
• Thu., December 22 – Purple Line Express
• Fri., December 23 – Yellow Line

Got a link to this? I just checked transitchicago.com...... no mention of the Holiday Train on their main page(and it's mentioned annually there), nothing under Press Releases. And they usually give ample notice. Usually the Monday or Tuesday the week it's due to start.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Got a link to this? I just checked transitchicago.com...... no mention of the Holiday Train on their main page(and it's mentioned annually there), nothing under Press Releases. And they usually give ample notice. Usually the Monday or Tuesday the week it's due to start.

However, they did announce you can have your own CTA Holiday Train, complete with Montreal rubber wheels.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Busjack said:

However, they did announce you can have your own CTA Holiday Train, complete with Montreal rubber wheels.

Here's good luck to anyone who wants to buy one that it ends up on a store besides the CTA's. I ordered a phone case from them about a year ago. Still hasn't showed up, and they don't have any readily visible ways of contacting the store. :(

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Here's good luck to anyone who wants to buy one that it ends up on a store besides the CTA's. I ordered a phone case from them about a year ago. Still hasn't showed up, and they don't have any readily visible ways of contacting the store. :(

I'm not following you. Are you saying that you ordered some CTA trinket from an place other than ctagifts.com? Or you ordered something from ctagifts.com with the intent to resell it somewhere else?

There is a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, but that only goes to a web e-mail form.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Busjack said:

I'm not following you. Are you saying that you ordered some CTA trinket from an place other than ctagifts.com? Or you ordered something from ctagifts.com with the intent to resell it somewhere else?

There is a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page, but that only goes to a web e-mail form.

I ordered something for myself a while back, but it never came. I intended to use it myself, with no intent on reselling it. I was making a reference to how things end up for sale on eBay or other sites, so that one doesn't have to order from a store they don't like or have had problems with.

I do appreciate the Contact Us note though. It looks like that will be an option should I decide to order something off of the site again, so thanks for pointing that out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Got a link to this? I just checked transitchicago.com...... no mention of the Holiday Train on their main page(and it's mentioned annually there), nothing under Press Releases. And they usually give ample notice. Usually the Monday or Tuesday the week it's due to start.

http://ward45.org/wp-content/uploads/2016-CTA-Holiday-Train-Schedule-Chicago-IL.pdf

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I quoted a BusJack post......who would ever believe me!

DH

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

It's cool, @chicagopcclcar. I went immediately to transitchicago.com to look and link schedules to my "L" Rosters and was like o.O....... thank you for clarifying. :)

NEW THIS YEAR......CTA will run a extra six-car train on Saturdays following the traditional Holiday Train.....
This year marks 25 years of the CTA Holiday Train – a holiday tradition unique to Chicago. In celebration of this milestone, this year we introduce and welcome you aboard the new Elves’ Workshop Train.
 
Just as dazzling and decked out as the Holiday Train, this six-car train will follow the Holiday Train on Saturdays, which are the busiest days, to help ensure everyone has an opportunity to experience this one-of-kind and joyful tradition.
 
Complementing these two festive trains is the CTA Holiday Bus, which brings the same holiday spirit and joy to bus riders as it travels throughout Chicago’s neighborhoods.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Railroads call the second train a "second section." They usually fly flags or lanterns on the first train to indicate that a second train is following. Saturdays have plenty of time in-between regular runs so trains could easily fit in the schedule. Holiday Train always ran as an extra. With the first train crowded, the crew will be hard pressed to get the people to wait and board the immediately following Elves' Workshop Train.  This will be interesting.

 

DH

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Railroads call the second train a "second section." They usually fly flags or lanterns on the first train to indicate that a second train is following. Saturdays have plenty of time in-between regular runs so trains could easily fit in the schedule. Holiday Train always ran as an extra. With the first train crowded, the crew will be hard pressed to get the people to wait and board the immediately following Elves' Workshop Train.  This will be interesting.

 

DH

I wonder if it'll be decorated like the Santa's Express train, with lights and wrapping, etc..... and what trains will they use.....

  • Six 5000-Series train cars
  • Six 3200-Series train cars
  • Another set of six 2600-Series train cars
  • Six retired, but operational 2400-Series train cars normally kept for work car service.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

I wonder if it'll be decorated like the Santa's Express train, with lights and wrapping, etc..... and what trains will they use.....

  • Six 5000-Series train cars
  • Six 3200-Series train cars
  • Another set of six 2600-Series train cars
  • Six retired, but operational 2400-Series train cars normally kept for work car service.

"I wonder....."

No need to wonder.....unless you just like to dream.  2600s....plans on the CTA website. Descriptions there also....lights, trimming, all the glamor.....or hear it from the horses'..... I mean the reindeers' mouth, LOL...Both the Holiday Train and the Elves’ Workshop Train are wrapped with holiday and seasonal images. Thousands of twinkling lights outline the shape of the train and windows, with even more lights running across the tops of the cars. CTA website. Photo showing trial run this week. Lou Gerard.

DH

 

15073317_1800827246859732_2193856123008151996_n.jpg

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chicagopcclcar said:

"I wonder....."

No need to wonder.....unless you just like to dream.  2600s....plans on the CTA website. Descriptions there also....lights, trimming, all the glamor.....or hear it from the horses'..... I mean the reindeers' mouth, LOL...Both the Holiday Train and the Elves’ Workshop Train are wrapped with holiday and seasonal images. Thousands of twinkling lights outline the shape of the train and windows, with even more lights running across the tops of the cars. CTA website. Photo showing trial run this week. Lou Gerard.

DH

 

15073317_1800827246859732_2193856123008151996_n.jpg

Any idea the three married pairs(six cars) that make up the set? I know what makes the Santa Train unique is that they have 600V jumpers for work train service, which I guess allows for the lighting used that I guess prevents blowouts of circuits and fuses. Only 2893-2898 have these jumpers in the 2600-Series family, along with 3441-3444 in the 3200-Series family and 2401-2424 in the 2400-Series family(now retired).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fail to see sw4400's interest in CTA railcars equipped with 600v jumpers. Jumpers have only one duty....connect the flat car to ONE railcar with third rail pickups. Crews must be careful that only ONE jumper is connected. So on the Santa flat car, only one jumper is connected while the flat is in between railcars.  Jumpers are NOT interconnected between railcars. Skokie can easily install them. Thus the Holiday Train, or any other train with work equipment in its consist, doesn't bridge section gaps in the 600v third rail system. Section breaks are any where there's a gap in the third rail of at least 50-60 ft in length so a railcar cannot bridge the 600v current flow.

 

DH

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

I fail to see sw4400's interest in CTA railcars equipped with 600v jumpers. Jumpers have only one duty....connect the flat car to ONE railcar with third rail pickups. Crews must be careful that only ONE jumper is connected. Jumpers are NOT interconnected between railcars. Skokie can easily install them. Thus the Holiday Train, or any other train with work equipment in its consist, doesn't bridge section gaps in the 600v third rail system. Section breaks are any where there's a gap in the third rail of at least 50-60 ft in length so a railcar cannot bridge the 600v current flow.

 

DH

Until explained, I had no idea how the 600v jumpers worked. Only thing I knew was that 2893-2898(the Santa's Express train) have these jumpers, and every year they are decked out in the lights, as well as connected to the flatcar he sits upon. I presumed that to make another car decked out in lights, you would need cars with the 600v jumpers, even if no flatcar is used.

Thank you for clarifying, @chicagopcclcar. Can't wait to see the trains on the Brown Line(if work schedule allows).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Until explained, I had no idea how the 600v jumpers worked. Only thing I knew was that 2893-2898(the Santa's Express train) have these jumpers, and every year they are decked out in the lights, as well as connected to the flatcar he sits upon. I presumed that to make another car decked out in lights, you would need cars with the 600v jumpers, even if no flatcar is used.

Thank you for clarifying, @chicagopcclcar. Can't wait to see the trains on the Brown Line(if work schedule allows).

Actually when an individual car hits a gap in the third rail, all of the festive lights go out, but the normal car lights (albeit with a festive color to them!) stay on. This has been the norm for years. I think if the jumpers allowed a pair to share electricity, the festive lights would stay on unless both cars in the pair got gapped. But as chicagopcclcar said, the jumpers are only for the flat car.

Just remember that the Holiday Trains behave just like normal trains at gaps, but with more lights and sparks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I wonder if the elf train is running tonight on the red. I'm on the red checking on wilson. Already got some updated pics at addison blue. I'm curious what cars are on the elf train and maybe get some pics. I missed it going south was at addison red at 5:05pm. Says it comes back north there around 721pm. (725pm at wilson) Maybe I'll intercept it in the loop.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm on 12/2 the holiday bus will be on the #91. That has to be the first artic I ever heard of on austin. I hope I can see that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Hmm I wonder if the elf train is running tonight on the red. I'm on the red checking on wilson. Already got some updated pics at addison blue. I'm curious what cars are on the elf train and maybe get some pics. I missed it going south was at addison red at 5:05pm. Says it comes back north there around 721pm. (725pm at wilson) Maybe I'll intercept it in the loop.

Nope there doesn't seem to be an elves train!! I'm on the follower and its 5000s. Wth!!>:( just kidding!! I did ride the holiday train up until it got crowded up by chicago state. They need the elves train where is it.....????

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some nice photos and videos because the Santa express stopped on the inner track at belmont allowing a few red lines to pass and we had a 5-10 minute photo op with Santa his reindeer and the train. Really nice. I covered the whole train. When they took off though some kids were getting close to between the flat car and 2600 and some cta reps had to push them gently out of the way. Kudos to there fast thinking.  Everyone gets really distracted when this train shows up. Parents are as giddy as the children. a special treat to see as we all remember when we were kids at Xmas time. I'll put up some pics later I have a bunch I filled my phones hard drive!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's some shots from tonight

Santa's on his way, I don't know about his elves though.... :P

santas coming.png

There he is

santas here at grand.png

and a few shots from belmont

santa and his reindeer.png

santas express front.png

santas express front car.png

santas express mid car married pair.png

satas express mid car.png

santa house.png

santas express rear.png

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Nope there doesn't seem to be an elves train!! I'm on the follower and its 5000s. Wth!!>:( just kidding!! I did ride the holiday train up until it got crowded up by chicago state. They need the elves train where is it.....????

It will only be operating on Saturdays 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0