Sign in to follow this  
chicagopcclcar

25 th CTA 2016 Holiday Train Schedule

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:16 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Actually when an individual car hits a gap in the third rail, all of the festive lights go out, but the normal car lights (albeit with a festive color to them!) stay on. This has been the norm for years. I think if the jumpers allowed a pair to share electricity, the festive lights would stay on unless both cars in the pair got gapped. But as chicagopcclcar said, the jumpers are only for the flat car.

Just remember that the Holiday Trains behave just like normal trains at gaps, but with more lights and sparks!

Here is a video showing the "lights going out" phenomenon when the train hits a gap. I filmed this on Black Friday 2014 from the Metra platform adjacent to the Harlem/Lake Green line station.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Here is a video showing the "lights going out" phenomenon when the train hits a gap. I filmed this on Black Friday 2014 from the Metra platform adjacent to the Harlem/Lake Green line station...

Yep, that's it! It also appears that both cars in the set have their lights go out when only one car hits a gap. Interesting.

The runs are #1225 and #1226. Cars in the elves consist are #2899-#2900, #2883-84,  #2809-10. The elves train has less lights it seems just to be  going around the doors and the perimeter of the train. The inside is dressed up like the holiday train. I'll see if I can get some interior pics as well as exterior 

• Upvote 2

Ok the trains are being laid up at midway so don't look for them at harlem lake. Overall it wasn't too bad. They had people dressed as elves on the train. I got a few shots of their hokey attire. They did have elves express signs on the ends but the sides they didn't. Maybe they could have doctored a few signs like the #2200s farewell trip. Being as they had no flat car it would have been a good opportunity to try out some 5000s as an elf train. They could have programmed some signs. Looks like mostly all they did was patch into the electric below the seats. So no special electrical adapter would be needed. Some of the inserts had this weird button type thing on them. I wonder what that is a anti theft seat?

7 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

BusHunter.......you must go and see "BAD SANTA" five times and give a report that will be graded by the MODERATORS here.

WHY would any one want to stir up trouble by mixing 5000s in the two Holiday trains.  WHY!!!  That cartoon person who stole Christmas... is that your favorite hero, LOL?.

DH 

I really don't see what the big issue is especially with the elves train. There is no flat car which runs on dc and can only run with dc equipment, so why not experiment. The elves train has no upgraded power supply that I can see. So it seems like a no brainer. What will they do when the #7000s show up save a set of 2600s for the Santa train.

Btw guys sorry I didn't get to upload some pics last night but I was tired and fell asleep on you guys. :P I'm trying to do this and work too.

I'll try to do it tonight or tomorrow for sure As I'm off. I'll probably put a flyby of the whole train on YouTube as well as a few stills so be on the watch if thats what interests you.

26 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

If you look at my history here you'll find I've several run ends with posters. One was when a poster thought the CTA could turn trains at a "Y" connection at 13th St interlocking. The moderators said I didn't use proper "etiquette" when I told him..."it ain't going to happen"....and it didn't....CTA used 37th middle track and subsequently  used 63rd middle track at all other times. Another time I've forgotten the details. And then there's the run-ins with the biggest poster here about why railroads allow trains to pass red signals. He still refuses to read my posts.

Its with this history here which I don't want to repeat. Its your choice.....if you want 5000 series done up in a Holiday Trains...its your right to suggest. I won't happen....It shows me that your nickname...BusHunter....means "knows less about trains"....knows BUSES, LOL.

Well eventually it will have to happen, @chicagopcclcar. The cars used for the Santa's Express Train and now the Elves Train are 32 years old. CTA could annually repair them, but they're going to require more and more attention as they near the 35 and 40 year marks. So, unless they want to retire the Santa's Express Train idea along with the cars someday, they'll have to think about eventually passing the torch to the 5000's. If you can have DC Jumpers for the flatcar, I'm sure there are AC Jumpers out there in the market, too.

4 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

If you look at my history here you'll find I've several run ends with posters. One was when a poster thought the CTA could turn trains at a "Y" connection at 13th St interlocking. The moderators said I didn't use proper "etiquette" when I told him..."it ain't going to happen"....and it didn't....CTA used 37th middle track and subsequently  used 63rd middle track at all other times. Another time I've forgotten the details. And then there's the run-ins with the biggest poster here about why railroads allow trains to pass red signals. He still refuses to read my posts.

Its with this history here which I don't want to repeat. Its your choice.....if you want 5000 series done up in a Holiday Trains...its your right to suggest. I won't happen....It shows me that your nickname...BusHunter....means "knows less about trains"....knows BUSES, LOL.

Holiday Train at Ashland/63 Saturday, 11/26/2016 for photo session. Elves Workshop Train parked on tail tracks giving room for regular service.

DH

P.S. Saturday pictures coming as soon as Photobucket gets its website running.

P1150481.JPG

P1150472.JPG

And your insulting nature is not a red herring as to why they don't like you. Look above you just insulted me, can't you just talk to people like a normal human being. For your information I know quite a bit about the CTA, more than most actually, but I wouldn't mind learning more. Instead of insulting me tell me or us why can't they use #5000's, if you know.

• Upvote 3

Well now for the reason I am here (and it's not for Sunday night bout either) :P

Here is a flyby of the Elves train as promised and a few pics I caught at Harlem/Lake

Video Flyby at Roosevelt/Green/Orange

https://youtu.be/fYOqMIFCQVk

And here are a few pics...The elf in his elf suit showing some of the Elf wrap

cta elf says hi.png

A closeup of the elves Express sign

elf express sign.png

An interior shot; looks really similar to the santa express

elf train interior.png

A few shots of the end with some glare but at least you can see it

elf express front.png

front of elf train.png

CTA Elf full uniform

cta elf.png

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well now for the reason I am here (and it's not for Sunday night bout either) :P

Here is a flyby of the Elves train as promised and a few pics I caught at Harlem/Lake

Video Flyby at Roosevelt/Green/Orange

https://youtu.be/fYOqMIFCQVk

And here are a few pics...The elf in his elf suit showing some of the Elf wrap

cta elf says hi.png

A closeup of the elves Express sign

elf express sign.png

An interior shot; looks really similar to the santa express

elf train interior.png

A few shots of the end with some glare but at least you can see it

elf express front.png

front of elf train.png

CTA Elf full uniform

cta elf.png

I like it! Does it smell like cinnamon too?

Simple answer: After a long day in Santa's Workshop, they don't want to sit in the longitudinal seats and fall on their little bums in the center aisle.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

I said...."Its your choice.....if you want 5000 series done up in a Holiday Train...its your right to suggest." I just said,  "I won't happen.."  Why is that insulting? Perhaps, if you could get others interested in your ideas about using 5000s, the discourse might be enlightening to you and others. You know my stance. It useless to debate me. But others might give ideas to put you on the right track. I hope suggesting including other is not insulting.   Englewood at 59th St.

DH

P1150506.jpg

I dont know why i'm asking you anyway cause you don't seem to know the answer and just dance around it like we're playing charades. Best thing about it is I can ask someone pretty high up at the authority and get the answer myself. You better hurry up and give us the answer or i will.I know youve had a rough deal lately but dont take it out on me. Maybe you were joking maybe not but I guess I'll give you the benefit of the doubt now even though my sixth sense says i shouldn't. :D

You are right about one thing it is useless to debate you because your as stubborn as an ox. :P

18 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I like it! Does it smell like cinnamon too?

No but it smells like peppermint inside the elf's pail. xD

I had a really nice tranquil ride on the green line just missing some snow for the perfect visual effect. The red line is just too chaotic. You can really enjoy these green line rides though. Something about Oak Park just gives it that novelty effect like the way christmas used to be in the traditional sense.

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

No but it smells like peppermint inside the elf's pail. xD

I had a really nice tranquil ride on the green line just missing some snow for the perfect visual effect. The red line is just too chaotic. You can really enjoy these green line rides though. Something about Oak Park just gives it that novelty effect like the way christmas used to be in the traditional sense.

Ah, the elf's pail. :D

Having grown up in Oak Park, I can say it's a very nice place during Christmas. Everyone puts up their nice decorations too. The Greenage runs are good, just like the Brownage and Pink Line runs.

Orange Line Brownage runs and Pink Line runs are your final chances for a comfortable experience along the Holiday Train. After that, it's game time, as the train operates on the Money Route's to The North Pole via Skokie.

29 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Orange Line Brownage runs and Pink Line runs are your finally chances for a comfortable experience along the Holiday Train. After that, it's game time, as the train operates on the Money Route's to The North Pole via Skokie.

I don't know..... Brown Line trains can get quite packed. My plan is to ride to Kimball and wait for the return trip. According to the schedule, It will be an hour total from pickup, arrival and return trip to starting destination(pickup from my stop and next train leaves Kimball in about 45 minutes after arriving).

On December 2, 2016 at 5:31 PM, sw4400 said:

Got my ride on the Brown Line today..... sorry @BusHunter and @garmon757, but I'm about to flood this post with pictures!!!!!! :O:PxD

You're banned from posting any flooded pics on here! :P xD

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

You're banned from posting any flooded pics on here! :P xD

I thought it snowed in Albany Park today. The floods were sometime in the summer.;S

I will say this..... CTA can't control the parents of the kids, but I would hope they'd(the parents) use more common sense about strollers on the trains. Many, especially at the end of the line at Kimball, as seen here, were blocking Platform 3 with large, bulky strollers unfolded. It was a hassle to try to get down to the back of the train at the time for pics. While stuck in the crowds, I kept getting jabbed in the side by a child's tricycle handlebar that a parent was holding. I had intentions of photographing each car while the train sat, but I was unable to because people were moving out towards Lawrence Ave., but you couldn't head opposite the exit to get to the end of the platform where the back of the cars were. This was as far as I got until the door opened and the train got prepped to depart Kimball, then I was suddenly able to move down and board, no time for photographing the individual cars beyond the flatcar.

Next time, use folding umbrella strollers for the kids and keep them folded up if you're staying on the platform. It caused a major bottleneck. The pictures I was able to get were great, but I missed out on photographing all the railcars and the flatcar. I only got a few railcars and the flatcar.

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

Well here are couple of things that is to be noted, never photograph on Saturday's as these are photo days with Santa. Many families are out to celebrate and it's not a great atmosphere to do photography. Weekdays are more ideal to photograph the Holiday Train as the crowds are not as massive. Kimball  is a good location to photograph, just not on Santa's Saturday photo session.

53 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Well here are couple of things that is to be noted, never photograph on Saturday's as these are photo days with Santa. Many families are out to celebrate and it's not a great atmosphere to do photography. Weekdays are more ideal to photograph the Holiday Train as the crowds are not as massive. Kimball  is a good location to photograph, just not on Santa's Saturday photo session.

Not entirely true. It's a lot easier to photograph or videotape the train when you're not riding it, Saturdays included. Just make sure you're not at the terminal where the family photos are happening. Kimball is a bad place to photograph and stuff because the train always uses the side platform, which is pretty narrow. I got pictures similar to the ones @sw4400 had because that platform gets crowded. Personally I've had success at Belmont northbound. You get a wonderful view of the train going through Clark Junction.

• Upvote 1