Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicagopcclcar

25 th CTA 2016 Holiday Train Schedule

69 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

I said...."Its your choice.....if you want 5000 series done up in a Holiday Train...its your right to suggest." I just said,  "I won't happen.."  Why is that insulting? Perhaps, if you could get others interested in your ideas about using 5000s, the discourse might be enlightening to you and others. You know my stance. It useless to debate me. But others might give ideas to put you on the right track. I hope suggesting including other is not insulting.   Englewood at 59th St.

DH

P1150506.jpg

I dont know why i'm asking you anyway cause you don't seem to know the answer and just dance around it like we're playing charades. Best thing about it is I can ask someone pretty high up at the authority and get the answer myself. You better hurry up and give us the answer or i will.I know youve had a rough deal lately but dont take it out on me. Maybe you were joking maybe not but I guess I'll give you the benefit of the doubt now even though my sixth sense says i shouldn't. :D

You are right about one thing it is useless to debate you because your as stubborn as an ox. :P

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

You are right about one thing it is useless to debate you because your as stubborn as an ox. :P

We CAN agree on that, LOL. Moving on, good pictures of the Elves train. I met Bruce Moffat, famed CTA/CRT historian while taking the pictures at 38th St. He had finished a talk and visual presentation at CERA Friday evening. Maybe some of our readers might want to find out more about CERA and their programs.

DH

PROGRAM LAST FRIDAY.......November at CERA The Lake Street “L”  “Mike’s Upstairs Railroad”

Presented by Bruce Moffat

Friday, November 25, 2016 at 7 p.m. University Center

Lake Room Conference Center

525 S. State Street, Chicago, IL

(The colorful history of Chicago’s Lake Street “L” is recounted tonight by CERA author and historian Bruce Moffat. From its controversial beginnings, early routes and ground level operation in Oak Park, relocation to the C&NW embankment and other notable events, Bruce will show the many changes and improvements that have occurred in the long history of this fascinating “L” line. If you’ve been to Bruce’s previous CERA Chicago “L” programs, you’ll know this is one you’ll want to attend.

18 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I like it! Does it smell like cinnamon too?

No but it smells like peppermint inside the elf's pail. xD

I had a really nice tranquil ride on the green line just missing some snow for the perfect visual effect. The red line is just too chaotic. You can really enjoy these green line rides though. Something about Oak Park just gives it that novelty effect like the way christmas used to be in the traditional sense.

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

No but it smells like peppermint inside the elf's pail. xD

I had a really nice tranquil ride on the green line just missing some snow for the perfect visual effect. The red line is just too chaotic. You can really enjoy these green line rides though. Something about Oak Park just gives it that novelty effect like the way christmas used to be in the traditional sense.

Ah, the elf's pail. :D

Having grown up in Oak Park, I can say it's a very nice place during Christmas. Everyone puts up their nice decorations too. The Greenage runs are good, just like the Brownage and Pink Line runs.

Hopefully, I'll have pictures from it's travels on the Brown Line this Friday. Depends on crowds where I pick it up.

Orange Line Brownage runs and Pink Line runs are your final chances for a comfortable experience along the Holiday Train. After that, it's game time, as the train operates on the Money Route's to The North Pole via Skokie.

29 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Orange Line Brownage runs and Pink Line runs are your finally chances for a comfortable experience along the Holiday Train. After that, it's game time, as the train operates on the Money Route's to The North Pole via Skokie.

I don't know..... Brown Line trains can get quite packed. My plan is to ride to Kimball and wait for the return trip. According to the schedule, It will be an hour total from pickup, arrival and return trip to starting destination(pickup from my stop and next train leaves Kimball in about 45 minutes after arriving).

On December 2, 2016 at 5:31 PM, sw4400 said:

Got my ride on the Brown Line today..... sorry @BusHunter and @garmon757, but I'm about to flood this post with pictures!!!!!! :O:PxD

You're banned from posting any flooded pics on here! :P xD

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

You're banned from posting any flooded pics on here! :P xD

I thought it snowed in Albany Park today. The floods were sometime in the summer.;S

I will say this..... CTA can't control the parents of the kids, but I would hope they'd(the parents) use more common sense about strollers on the trains. Many, especially at the end of the line at Kimball, as seen here, were blocking Platform 3 with large, bulky strollers unfolded. It was a hassle to try to get down to the back of the train at the time for pics. While stuck in the crowds, I kept getting jabbed in the side by a child's tricycle handlebar that a parent was holding. I had intentions of photographing each car while the train sat, but I was unable to because people were moving out towards Lawrence Ave., but you couldn't head opposite the exit to get to the end of the platform where the back of the cars were. This was as far as I got until the door opened and the train got prepped to depart Kimball, then I was suddenly able to move down and board, no time for photographing the individual cars beyond the flatcar.

Next time, use folding umbrella strollers for the kids and keep them folded up if you're staying on the platform. It caused a major bottleneck. The pictures I was able to get were great, but I missed out on photographing all the railcars and the flatcar. I only got a few railcars and the flatcar.

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

Well here are couple of things that is to be noted, never photograph on Saturday's as these are photo days with Santa. Many families are out to celebrate and it's not a great atmosphere to do photography. Weekdays are more ideal to photograph the Holiday Train as the crowds are not as massive. Kimball  is a good location to photograph, just not on Santa's Saturday photo session.

53 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Well here are couple of things that is to be noted, never photograph on Saturday's as these are photo days with Santa. Many families are out to celebrate and it's not a great atmosphere to do photography. Weekdays are more ideal to photograph the Holiday Train as the crowds are not as massive. Kimball  is a good location to photograph, just not on Santa's Saturday photo session.

Not entirely true. It's a lot easier to photograph or videotape the train when you're not riding it, Saturdays included. Just make sure you're not at the terminal where the family photos are happening. Kimball is a bad place to photograph and stuff because the train always uses the side platform, which is pretty narrow. I got pictures similar to the ones @sw4400 had because that platform gets crowded. Personally I've had success at Belmont northbound. You get a wonderful view of the train going through Clark Junction.

I agree with Juniorz...Kimball is a good terminal to photograph at....BUT....use the west platform....after a Loop bound train leaves and before the next train arrives. Nothing will work on Saturday since because the Elves Workshop uses a second track. Next year, if the second train uses the west track, you're in luck. If the west track is occupied, or management specified at Eleves' must use the east track, you're out of luck.

Crowds are guaranteed...strollers, wagons, etc are guaranteed. Don't think the participants will will do you any honor because you want the take pictures. Saturday at Howard might be a winner....use the north bound platform. The Elves" would have to stay in the yards.  

DH  

I showed up to the Santa session early, left before both trains and photographed them at Wellington from the opposite platform. Then hopped on the next thing smokin, did a transfer to Red at Fullerton, passed and intercepted both trains again at Roosevelt.

9 hours ago, Juniorz said:

8 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

I agree with Juniorz...Kimball is a good terminal to photograph at....BUT....use the west platform....after a Loop bound train leaves and before the next train arrives. Nothing will work on Saturday since because the Elves Workshop uses a second track. Next year, if the second train uses the west track, you're in luck. If the west track is occupied, or management specified at Eleves' must use the east track, you're out of luck.

Crowds are guaranteed...strollers, wagons, etc are guaranteed. Don't think the participants will will do you any honor because you want the take pictures. Saturday at Howard might be a winner....use the north bound platform. The Elves" would have to stay in the yards.  

DH  

The photos were taken Friday. I really think there should've been a little more control with the adults on the platform, especially with strollers. People were moving down towards the Kimball station exit at Lawrence, but the crowds would not allow you to go down to view/photograph. No matter how many times I said "Excuse me." I even had some people pushing up against me from the rear. Photo day is on Saturdays. 

I'm not blaming CTA's handling of this situation, to clarify. I'm just saying the parents could've been a little more organized to at least allow some movement down the platform. I knew the flatcar with Santa would have massive crowding, that's why my thought process was quick photo and move onto the rest of train, where less crowding should be as the center of attention is of course, Santa. I was cordial, at least saying "Excuse me.", not pushing past rudely, because I know there were kids there, and I would never want to hurt one trying to get photographs.

17 hours ago, 2490 said:

I showed up to the Santa session early, left before both trains and photographed them at Wellington from the opposite platform. Then hopped on the next thing smokin, did a transfer to Red at Fullerton, passed and intercepted both trains again at Roosevelt.

Now, that's how you survey the situation and adapt!!  Good planning. 

9 hours ago, sw4400 said:

The photos were taken Friday. I really think there should've been a little more control with the adults on the platform, especially with strollers.

I'm not blaming CTA's handling of this situation, to clarify. I'm just saying the parents could've been a little more organized to at least allow some movement down the platform. I knew the flatcar with Santa would have massive crowding, that's why my thought process was quick photo and move onto the rest of train, where less crowding should be as the center of attention is of course, Santa. I was cordial, at least saying "Excuse me.", not pushing past rudely, because I know there were kids there, and I would never want to hurt one trying to get photographs.

Expecting "adults" "parents" to do anything except getting their children a good "look see" with Santa is like winning the lottery. Surveying the various terminals and stations, crowded locations and "making a list and checking it twice"....narrow platforms are stricken first, and Kimball is at the head of the list. Places where you can shoot from an adjacent platform like Howard, O'Hare, Midway. Or shoot across the tracks at many locations. Linden might work with its large platform, maybe Forest Park. Shooting across the track may or may not work at Kimball.  Shooting elsewhere might bring the laws of chance....a train getting in the way.  Bring your lucky rabbits' foot.

DH

Another trick I've done in the past that will work for the Brownage trips is start at North/Clybourn on the Red Line. If you go across Halsted Street, there is a parking garage that overlooks the S curves on the Brown Line. You can do your shots there on top of the garage, reboard the Red Line, and race to Roosevelt. This one is a little harder to pull of but is feasible if you can run. The Red-Orange transfer is a long one.

In the last run of the CTA Elves Workshop train, its first run of the day, on Saturday, 12/16, the scheduled "followup" ran second, not immediately as promised. A Red line revenue service was  dispatched from Howard terminal as the Workshop train was delayed turning in the Howard yard. At 95th St. the Holiday Train setup in the west pocket for a one hour's worth of Santa picture taking. The road train came in and immediately was dispatched north. Second train arrived, the Workshop train. After its passengers were loaded, the Workshop train deadheaded north to 63rd St. middle track where it waited for the ending of the picture taking at 95th St. The rest of the day, the two decorated trains ran as expected, one followed by its twin.

DH