Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe some of this is explained by "Moving into the Future" of today saying that "the Village Board recently approved an amended contract with Pace which, beginning August 21, will operate two 35-foot buses to transport the ever-growing ridership on the popular Route 907." The picture was of an Orion VI (apparently 6055) with the caption "A 35-foot bus like this one will be used on Route 907 beginning next month." We all know that that's a 40 footer. Also debunks the supposition that an ElDorado was being used.

• 4 weeks later...

That's right about 6238 and 6239: Those two NABI's are at the North Shore Division now (they were originally assigned to the West Division). To compensate, West now has a couple of the 6100-numbered Orion VI's transferred from Northwest (they have been assigned the block from the 6030's to 6071 originally).

I would guess that some of the Orion VIs would be moved from SW to NW or W if SW got the Nova Classics from Joliet. Only 4 are needed to run 835 now.

Originally the breakdown was:

• 6000-6028 NW
  • 6029-6071 W
  • 6072-6115 SW
  • 6116-6144 S
  • 6145-6161 NW (the add-on orders)

After the 2003 moves:

• 6000-6036 NW
  • 6037-6071 W (except the hulk)
  • 6072-6115 SW
  • 6116-6161 NW

Of course, no 6013 or 6113.

I guess we'll have to keep our eyes out to see what shifts were made.

Also, the question is why only the original West ones had SP just under the windshield, above the wheelchair logo. I assume it stands for "Suburban Pace."

Also, the question is why only the original West ones had SP just under the windshield, above the wheelchair logo. I assume it stands for "Suburban Pace."

The buses with the SP on them are the ones that are equipped with the signal preemption that mess with the traffic signals. To date, I think Cermak road is still the only place that that program is still in effect. At one time there were only a couple of buses that were equipped with the system, but I guess Pace had the belief that they would somehow expand the program and there are more buses equipped with the system then are actually needed. That is the reason that you only saw the SP on West Division buses. If you see it now on a bus at another Pace Division, you know that it was a West Division bus at one time.

The buses with the SP on them are the ones that are equipped with the signal preemption that mess with the traffic signals.
I doubt that, because it was on the buses since they were received in 2000, and, if I remember correctly, were also on the 8700s at West. Conversely, they are not on the 6218s and 6268-6321s that run on Cermak.

The 8700's were the first buses to have the signal preemption system put on them. As I previously stated, there were only a couple of buses that had it initially. They were put on the buses so that they would stand out and be used on the 322. My guess, although I can't confirm it, is that the newer buses have it and they never stenciled the SP onto the body.

I know for a fact that is what the SP stands for. I found that out from John Braband, who was the head of bus operations when I worked in the corporate office, about the time this program was being tested out on the 322.

Sorry for questioning this. One of the problems is that I couldn't determine when "signal priority" (the term used on pacebus.com) first started on Cermak. Recent references are only to expanding signal priority to BRT.

It depends. 1) It appears that the Chance RT52s have to be replaced first, and 2) with the preliminary budget, it doesn't appear that the remainder of the base order is funded (but the board might do something to restore the capital budget, such as raise fares). My bet is that they mostly go to contractors, to replace 1920s, remaining 2000s, and 2500s, which have outlasted their useful lives, and the only divisions getting a large number of them would be North Shore and possibly Fox for Du Page county expansions, and maybe a few to W, NW, and River to replace 2500s. Pace would have to get into the options to replace or add anything else.

That's right about 6238 and 6239:  Those two NABI's are at the North Shore Division now (they were originally assigned to the West Division).
Also 6240, seen out of service at Linden, with passenger notices for 422 and 426 on the window.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone want to put bets on this, since 6600s are leaving Highland Park (hasn't happened yet) and maybe Aurora? To Waukegan or to contractors? Does North Shore downsize and send some 6200s back to West? Does pace2322 get the chance to drive a midbus?

I have seen a number of 35 foot 6600's that were at one time in Elgin (6650 series) roaming around Harvey on South Division routes. What replaced them in Elgin, I do not know since I don't work out there any more. It did surprise me to see them there though. And it really looks odd when there is a 2300 in the terminal there (2325, usually).

• 2 months later...