Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

Thats right, Any time i see thats bus it makes me fell good.That thing was a pos i wish we can scrap alll of them.
"Well tell you drives" that they better not be intentionally getting them into collisions, because the taxpayers are not going to cough up the approximately $100 million it would take to replace them now. It was reported that when RTA took the 1979 Grumman Flxibles out of service for inspections after NY MTA found suspension cracks in theirs, South Suburban had to operate school buses. Maybe you will have to learn to drive a school bus or EZ Rider. In any event, the Flxibles were put back into service and some lasted until about 1992.

The driver of 6173 fell asleep at the wheel. How is that intertionally getting them into a collision busjack?, Btw i think i will put up with a school bus then a nabi. At lest i will know it will stop. And theres no way i can used a 2600 on my run. I wish we had 6116 to 6143 back at south anyday over the junk they gave use.

The drive[r] of 6173 fell asleep at the wheel[.] How is that intentionally getting them into a collision busjack?
I didn't say that particular one intentionally did, I just said don't encourage intentionally putting other buses on the scrap heap.

However, having legal training, I find it quite disquieting that a driver fell asleep while driving a bus on the expressway, causing at least $300,000 in property damage and giving rise to the potential for numerous personal injuries (again, I don't have the facts of that incident, except as how you related them). That isn't the "high degree of care for the safety of passengers" required of a common carrier. If the facts are as you stated, I sure hope that driver is no longer employed in that capacity. I would also hope that the CTA drivers at Chicago and Forest Glen garages show more care with regard to their new equipment than they have in the past.

I wish we had 6116 to 614[4] back at south any day over the junk the[y] gave us.
As previously mentioned, I'm not Mr. Bus Allocation Supervisor, either for CTA or Pace. However, I note that at the time the 2003 NABIs were acquired, most of the 40 foot buses to be replaced were at NW (about 20-25 of the 8800s-8900s, and 25 of 2085-2119; the others in these series were in Joliet and scattered around other garages, with S having maybe about 12 of the 8800s on 353 and 355). However, South got 6162-6217, and the buses you mentioned were transferred to NW. If the mentality now present at CTA prevailed, 6162-6217 would have gone to NW. However, I assume that Pace was trying to implement a service standard that minimized the number of different makes at a particular garage, thereby concentrating the Orion VIs at NW, W, and SW. Since I don't work at Pace, and you do, maybe you can find out who assigns the buses to divisions.

Similarly, I don't see the point of first putting EZ Riders in places that already have 6600s and shifting the 6600s to contractors, instead of directly giving them EZ Riders, unless the contractors need a slightly larger or more heavy-duty bus, demand has somewhat plummeted in Aurora (that point has previously been debated), or the theory is to put the "fuel hogs" only on rush hour routes. Again, if Pace were replacing buses in place, they could have given 6600s to the contractor running routes 696 and 699 in 2003, instead of waiting until 2006 to do so (again assuring that S wouldn't have received 6653-6660).

In 2003 we had some odd 8000s at south.We has some ex west ones southwest and some northwest 8900s.The last 8000s we used was 8878 and that was used on runs 301 in the am and 502 on the pm.That bus was on the two runs becasue there did a 355 that had alot of people on it. That why 102 and 304 have the 6900s in the am. But to me we need more big buses ie 2300s orions since our routes have the most people. I dont know why driver thinks its funny to take a 6600 on a 10.9 hour run that does all 352. But look at this right on the bored theres a paper that tells u not to take a 6600 on the 349,352,353 and 364. But most of the time were are the 6600s running on thats right on the so call routes u can used them on. To me we need to send the 6600s somewere else and get the 2300s.

Since I don't work at Pace, and you do, maybe you can find out who assigns the buses to divisions.

In my day there, it was John Braband, who was the Director of Bus Operations. I am not sure if he is still there or not. At that time he was one level below Melinda Metzger. Melinda is more into the Paratransit these days, so I am not sure how much she is doing with actual bus ops these days. Back then also, buses were moved around on an as need basis...onsies and twosies...not the wholesale moves like they are today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

6260 was on the 422 run that usually has blue NABIs. There was also a white 40 footer on 624, but too dark to get its number.

As I previously mentioned, I didn't see North Shore needing more 40 foot buses, but maybe Joliet needs them less.

Somewhat related to today's 2600s sightings, 6677 was on Shuttle Bug 8, indicating that at least one of my predictions partially panned out (a Highland Park bus going to North Shore). It appeared that 2122 was still operating on Shuttle Bug 9, although the destination sign wasn't that clear.

• 4 weeks later...

Since it was 80 degrees and I didn't feel sitting inside working, I did some bus hawking to try to figure out where the rest of Aurora's buses went. Answer is the contractor that does Lisle and that area, as buses in the 6616-6623 range were seen there, as well as 6652 and 6676 that passed through Aurora from other divisions (see post 2854). GFI fareboxes were removed.

The curious thing is that the 6600s basically replace the 2500s at Lisle. 2028 and 2052 were still around, as were 2286 (last seen at Rosemont) and 2287. That may indicate that the replacements in Lisle and environs are not complete.

Going down Ill. 53 to Joliet, it appears that 6260 was swapped for 6627 from North Shore straight. Similar deal for 6261 and another North Shore 6600? As previously mentioned, I don't see North Shore's need for more 40 foot buses. 6247 and 6248 were in Joliet; swapped from West? Also, I didn't see any 2500s there (they used to be on 505 Lidice and 506 New Lenox).

Since it appears that at least the private contractors 2500s are being swapped for 6600s, does this show that the 6600s were a bad investment (given that both a 6600 and 2600 has 27 seats)? Is something else going on here that I don't know about?

Since it appears that at least the private contractors 2500s are being swapped for 6600s, does this show that the 6600s were a bad investment (given that both a 6600 and 2600 has 27 seats)? Is something else going on here that I don't know about?

I'd be willing to bet Pace2322 would agree with that statement. However, if they are pretty much

the same, I would think that it is nothing more than giving the older stuff (albeit not too old) to

the contractors and keeping the newer stuff for themselves. That is how it is usually done. For

example, way back when, when the Orions came in, the contractors got the pumpkin buses

(or at least the rest of them)...when the Ikarus buses came in, you would see the first of

the Orions (8700-8800) there and as the Orion VI'and the 6200/6600 NABI's came in, they

would have the 2200/2300 Orions. I am using Keeshin (and whoever they are to be today)

as the example, primarily what was seen on the 606 going by headquarters then.

As it is time to replace the 2500's, and contractors use a lot of smaller buses, it seems to reason

that the NABI's (6600's)being older buses are being assigned there and Pace is simply keeping the newer equipment for themselves. My guess, is that if the NABI's are thought to be junk, wait a few months of the contractors having them. They will be beyond junk by then.

For example, way back when, when the Orions came in, the contractors got the pumpkin buses (or at least the rest of them)...when the Ikarus buses came in, you would see the first of the Orions (8700-8800) there and as the Orion VI'and the 6200/6600 NABI's came in, they would have the 2200/2300 Orions. I am using Keeshin (and whoever they are to be today) as the example, primarily what was seen on the 606 going by headquarters then.
That would explain 6600s on 696 and 699, which apparently were always of a transit character (although I don't know about the ridership). However, on the feeders, 2500s were considered an upgrade from school buses. There may be other justifications (such as not trusting a school bus operator with a new bus, although they did with the 2500s in 1997), but it seems counterintuitive for the divisions to be keeping the smaller buses. On the other hand, it makes sense for Highland Park to get them.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably not classifiable as weird sightings: 6680 on a Shuttle Bug. 6602 on Milwaukee Ave.; turns out was a 272 from North Division. One of the few routes left with a two row destination sign (GOLF MILL {over}TO HAWTHORN) and looked strange on an orange LED one.

6260 or 6261 seem to be frequently on Shuttle Bug 4 in the p.m.

I saw a couple of 2600 series buses headed north on Lake Shore Drive at Foster at about 1:15 this afternoon. I was too far away to even get a hint of a number, but the wild blue color with that silly logo was obvious. Didn't hear of any major accidents today, so I will assume they found their destination, wherever it may have been.

I saw a couple of 2600 series buses headed north on Lake Shore Drive at Foster at about 1:15 this afternoon. I was too far away to even get a hint of a number, but the wild blue color with that silly logo was obvious. Didn't hear of any major accidents today, so I will assume they found their destination, wherever it may have been.
Probably North Shore garage at Oakton on the west side of Evanston.

• 1 month later...

Saw 2659 on 422 this evening. Since I haven't seen 6624-6628 around, I suspect that they were sent to Joliet (I know that 6627 was) in exchange for 40 footers, but not having been to Joliet in a couple of months, can't confirm that. Anyone else seen those?

• 1 month later...

Having seen more Joliet buses up here, I decided to check out Joliet, and it has at least 6624, 6625, and 6627 from North Shore and 6678 and 6681 from Highland Park via North Shore. In turn, North Shore has about 6258-6261.

Seems "real efficient" to be shuffling buses from one end of the service area to the other.

Also, it appears that Lombard, which used to use a 2500, is now using a paratransit (5845).

• 2 months later...
South got two more junks this week.6677 and 6678 there need to send them back to highland park. There as bad if not worst then ones we have.
You didn't get them directly from Highland Park. 6677 had a stay in North Shore and 6678 in Joliet. However, one would think that their prior service would have been much lighter than the other 6600s. Highland Park seems to like their 2600s. BTW, was 2635 ever fixed (or neutered)?

• 2 years later...