Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

#6322 is at West and my goodness, #6259 and #6261 are at North. Why on Earth would they do that???

Probably to keep consistency with the rest of the blue Nabis at West.  #6259/#6261 will probably move there soon.  There's still some Orions out at West, although not very many of them.

... #6259 and #6261 are at North. Why on Earth would they do that???

7 minutes ago, rotjohns said:

... #6259/#6261 will probably move there soon.  ...

More likely explanation is that they are lower mileage than anything N got from S or W. These buses were in Joliet, and then mostly on NS shuttle routes.

The real question is with a post of up to 6770 being in some stage of delivery, what the eventual plan for W and N is. I don't think this is it.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

More likely explanation is that they are lower mileage than anything N got from S or W. These buses were in Joliet, and then mostly on NS shuttle routes.

The real question is with a post of up to 6770 being in some stage of delivery, what the eventual plan for W and N is. I don't think this is it.

I just realized what was just said, I thought they moved to NS (getting Evanston and Waukegan confused).  So #6259/#6261 moved to North?  That's where they are staying until the very end then, which possibly means the rest of the NS Nabis could head that way and not West.  If that's the case, then either they are retiring 6600s, the bad 6200s they have, or potentially both.  They probably don't need 40 footers on a lot of their routes, but if they need buses now, they can't wait around for 30 foot El Dorados to come free.  

16 hours ago, Busjack said:

The million dollar question is, what is the actual eventual plan for West, North, North Shore, Northwest and River? There are so many questions about those garages but the scattering of pre/post 6262s, 6559-74, and 6700s isn’t helping at all. It’s getting to the point that I think there’s a third garage involved with the 6700s in the future because North Shore doesn’t need 60+ of them. On top of that, Lord knows how much mileage North has racked up on their 6600s. They have to make a move sooner than later. Does Northwest necessarily need 6559-74? Furthermore, I’m getting concerned about West fleet because of the maintenance costs of their Nabis. Do they need to start working on acquiring more Eldorados soon?

The million dollar question is, what is the actual eventual plan for West, North, North Shore, Northwest and River? There are so many questions about those garages but the scattering of pre/post 6262s, 6559-74, and 6700s isn’t helping at all. It’s getting to the point that I think there’s a third garage involved with the 6700s in the future because North Shore doesn’t need 60+ of them. On top of that, Lord knows how much mileage North has racked up on their 6600s. They have to make a move sooner than later. Does Northwest necessarily need 6559-74? Furthermore, I’m getting concerned about West fleet because of the maintenance costs of their Nabis. Do they need to start working on acquiring more Eldorados soon?

Doesn't NW still have some Orions to dispose of?  So does W, but 6156 - 6161 won't go anywhere soon. I think eventually all of the 40 ft NABIs will make their way to W before retirement.

5 hours ago, garmon757 said:

The million dollar question is, what is the actual eventual plan for West, North, North Shore, Northwest and River?

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Doesn't NW still have some Orions to dispose of?

I think there are only questions with regard to W and N. If NW has any Orions left,they aren't getting on the roads much at all.R isn't running 35 ft buses. The inference I get is that with at least 70 6700s, W is gong to get a bunch of them.If we go with the 2017 budget of 76 35 and 40 ft buses, it doesn't look like any 35 ft buses. But the budget has rarely been correct with reference to options.

The inventory has W having 135 buses at the beginning of the year. With 54  Axess buses, there are theoretically 81 buses to replace, but if Pace is keeping the 2005 ones around, that knocks it down to about 24.But I'm sure not sure of the significance of the 2017 budget saying 53 small buses, and the 2018 capital plan saying only 30 ft. buses.

5 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Even with 6559-6572 NW still had Orions out, It was the delivery of 6510-6521 and finally 6573 and 6574 which finally saw the end of the NW Orions in Oct 2017.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, qwantae said:

So it means retired?

Isn't any other division to which to send it.* It may be  newer than the 2003 NABIs, but not the 2005 ones, which appear to being consolidated at West.

*Having already been moved from NW and SW.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Although not conclusive, WebWatch at 8 a.m. indicates that's it for the 2005 NABIs at NS. Still a few 2003s.

You know, a thought has occurred to me:  What about the 30 foot Eldos #2651-2659 and #2704-2706?  Could they be on the move once more #6700s come in?  Or is it likely that they stay put?  

36 minutes ago, rotjohns said:

You know, a thought has occurred to me:  What about the 30 foot Eldos #2651-2659 and #2704-2706?  Could they be on the move once more #6700s come in?  Or is it likely that they stay put?  

Most likely they stay put, and I still bet NS gets more of them, since NS has mostly light routes. On the other hand, I couldn't figure out NS dumping 35 footers on S in exchange for 6477-84.

3 hours ago, rotjohns said:

This is all about flushing the bad #6600s.  NS still has a few 6250s to get rid of so they could end up there too.  I didn't realize how many 6600s are still at North until I looked yesterday at the afternoon rush, it is still pretty loaded.  

I guess there is no law that says that garages must have buses assigned in numerical blocks, but ? Pace likes having buses all over the place seemingly with  no rhyme nor reason

18 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I guess there is no law that says that garages must have buses assigned in numerical blocks, but ? Pace likes having buses all over the place seemingly with  no rhyme nor reason

Not exactly true. Although we're in a situation of all sorts of moves, as a result of being in the midst of getting over 140 buses, there seems to be an intent to consolidate 6262-6376 (two blocks) at West.

@rotjohns had the other reason, which seems to be that as NABIs die, N gets the pickings until whatever eventually happens at N happens.

On newer buses, with the Axess buses being essentially the same (except for express and Pulse), there's no point to doing so, similarly to there having been no point for CTA to assign NFs in blocks (although there was a sorting of lower numbered ones after the rehabs were done).