Pace Bus Moves

pace2322

On 8/18/2019 at 11:18 AM, trainman8119 said:

Been seeing some 6300s in the yard at NW

This is interesting considering NW has never had NABIs.  Perhaps they will use them on school tripper  service.   At W, NABIs make up half the fleet so they run all day every day.  W still has a handful of 2003s running.  Those NFs due next spring/summer can't get here fast enough. 

I don't know when the new EZ Riders will come, but if they arrive before the NFs, you might see some at W until the NFs show up.  I don't know how much longer the NABIS  will hold on. 

On 8/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Now the 6730's are starting to move back, the higher ones are right now at West and the lower ones are now at North. 6730 is on 568.

For some reason, 6735 is still at West while the rest of them went to North. 6734 is probably a ghost bus, I did not see it at all this summer.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, artthouwill said:

I don't know when the new EZ Riders will come, but if they arrive before the NFs, you might see some at W until the NFs show up.  I don't know how much longer the NABIS  will hold on. 

I don't see why West would get EZ Riders if they are 30'.  Unless they use them on routes like #302, 314, 315, 316, 305, 327 that mostly never get packed.  And El Dorados can be used on the heavier routes 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I don't see why West would get EZ Riders if they are 30'.  Unless they use them on routes like #302, 314, 315, 316, 305, 327 that mostly never get packed.  And El Dorados can be used on the heavier routes 

I wouldn't expect those EZ Riders to be permanently be assigned to W.   But if NABIs start to crap out at a higher rate where extra buses are necessary, if the new EZRiders arrive first, some of either the new or old EZ Riders could act as a stopgap until the NFs arrive.  Remember, the EZ Riders and the 6600s have the same seating capacity and W used to have a large inventory of 6600s.  Hopefully the 6162s and 6262s can survive another 12 months.  

If I see an EZ Rider on 307 or 311 when these Morton HS kids in Berwyn leave school for the day imma laugh. 

I hated how the 35' NABIs out of the poor choice of the driver to use this bus for his run, would even use it knowing there's less space for standing.  The bus would get packed full of immature Morton kids.  I can tell you this cause I just graduated out of there lol

On 311 it's pretty bad cause lots of them get left behind as well.  Before I started taking 307, which was faster and less packed, I would leave school as soon as the bell rang and try to walk as much north past Cermak as possible before everyone else goes 1st than me so I can get a good seat.  It was so bad freshman year that one time on a half day (and I don't even know why i did this) but the bus was really late and I ended up walking from Cermak & Oak Park ALL THE WAY TO I-290!  That's when I realized that I need an alternate route LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

If I see an EZ Rider on 307 or 311 when these Morton HS kids in Berwyn leave school for the day imma laugh. 

I hated how the 35' NABIs out of the poor choice of the driver to use this bus for his run, would even use it knowing there's less space for standing.  The bus would get packed full of immature Morton kids.  I can tell you this cause I just graduated out of there lol

Drivers don’t choose there buses it’s assigned by the manager and after the break the bus is assigned to the driver by the other drivers before his/hers run just like CTA

2 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Drivers don’t choose there buses it’s assigned by the manager and after the break the bus is assigned to the driver by the other drivers before his/hers run just like CTA

I've asked drivers before.  They can choose from what is available. But yes, ONLY when leaving the garage.  After breaks, they don't choose.  They get a "hand me down" from a previous run.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I've asked drivers before.  They can choose from what is available. But yes, ONLY when leaving the garage.  After breaks, they don't choose.  They get a "hand me down" from a previous run.

Yessir similar to CTA bus just on CTA the manager at each garage assigns them the bus that’s what I heard from drivers because every driver knows me from FG so I asked one time this driver he has a 6400 series bus and he knew me and I asked him why you driving a old ragidy bus and he said that’s what the manager assigned me when I got to the garage but I get a hand me down after my break

11 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

11 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

At Pace West,  it seems like a combination of both.  The earliest starting drivers seem to be able to pick from what's available.  Those drivers also tend to be senior drivers..  Any rookies who wind up with early starts don't get to choose.  Later starting drivers get what's left over.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

At Pace West,  it seems like a combination of both.  The earliest starting drivers seem to be able to pick from what's available.  Those drivers also tend to be senior drivers..  Any rookies who wind up with early starts don't get to choose.  Later starting drivers get what's left over.

I've talked mostly with drivers that start in the morning.  But with those from the evenings, they tell me it's a hand me down.  But that seems about right

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 6:45 AM, artthouwill said:

Correct. 

One thing of note: some routes are blocked to assign ONLY a certain bus. Each run may be assigned a certain size (example: west could assign a 35’ on the driver sheet and that’s what would be sent out - or somehow you’d get a 40’).

I know of at least four other divisions that does this too. Essentially if trips have higher loads than others, the larger buses (artics if Pace had any) would have priority. Same for smaller loads and a 30’ would be pushed out  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...