Welcome Aboard 70 Years Of The CTA

sw4400

Here's a couple videos of #8499 that surfaced on Youtube. The first one is basically an interview with the driver. He talks about the bus. He states it has power steering. Not sure if it does or not. you wouldn't think it doesn't the way he pulls on the wheel. Plus I believe the GM #5301's didn't have power steering and the #5303's did. (#301) Maybe I'm wrong, but he talks about the bus in detail. So he was trained well for only his 2nd drive.

Then they have a video of the bus driving around. It looks good all repainted interior and exterior. I can't believe how new the headlights look. It looks like a new bus. Unbelieveable.

There is a video on the 70's anniversary buses that states all 3 buses will be totally restored. This isn't it though but there is a placard that says it's being restored. I notice already some of the broken windows and such have been repaired from when I was on the bus in 2015.

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

He talks about the bus. He states it has power steering. Not sure if it does or not. you wouldn't think it doesn't the way he pulls on the wheel. Plus I believe the GM #5301's didn't have power steering and the #5303's did. (#301) Maybe I'm wrong

I agree with you that he says it has power steering but it probably doesn't.

I remember that CTA made a big deal that when it got the 1972 order, it could hire woman bus drivers because those buses had power steering. I got the impression that that meant that preceding buses didn't, but I could be wrong.

An interesting thing he said was that it was restored, but modified, because you can't get some parts. This sound similar to some "resto mod" programs on TV, which essentially say you start with a 1967 Corvette, but you certainly don't want it to drive or perform like one.

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

There is a video on the 70's anniversary buses

That's the one mentioned before about how buses today don't have this number of seats, and I commented on his YouTube page.

• 1 year later...