ATS O'Hare

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Taking a peek at the rental car facility the other day it looks like a level of the garage is for avis Hertz and national but dont ask me where the other ones are. Smaller places like Ace or Payless are still off site. The ex avis and Hertz lots are huge I cant see where they get the space to house their vehicles. Hertz has exotic rentals like sports cars. Maybe they condensed their operation. I guess all those bus drivers got laid off. Together that's probably close to 50-70 employees. 

The uber problem is interesting. The ats hasnt been tested yet with the new loads so if you send every uber rider with luggage on the ats it further taxes it. I say run trains to serve terminal 5 or the new lot and have uber go to 5. 5 needs a short turn 3rd track. Trouble is when the gate project gets going 5 is supposed to be the american airlines terminal which makes no sense. 5 was designed to be isolated so the 747s which have a wide turning radius can stay away from the smaller domestic flights. But I'm not the making the decisions.

At the end of the teminal expansions, Terminal 2wil house international operations for United, Amecan, Lufthansa  ANA, BrtishArway, Japan Airlines, and Iberia.   Terminal 5 will he Delta, Frontier, and all o the other international airlines. 

Once the ATS expansion opens, perhaps the Uber pickups ca move to the lower level in either the center or  outler lanes I the core terminals. Think those are the only viable options at this time. 

I believe  some of the rental car shuttle bus drivers are  driving the white buses now.

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Hertz, National, Avis, Budget, Payless, Advantage, Sixt, Fox, Thrifty, Enterprise, Alamo, Dollar, and EZ are in the new consolidated rental car facility. 

There is a fleet of white D40LFs serving the rental car shuttle. Continental is the contractor. 

Enterprise has that big lot across Mannheim. That lot moved? Now you really got me wondering where the space is. How can the terminal handle all the rentals. Usually one of the big companies has 5 -10 returns at a time. In the peak. How can they handle the volume of cars returning? Usually a light cycle on Bessie Coleman will have mostly rental cars coming off the expy ramps. This was before uber as I used to work in the car rental industry. Now I've been told companies as part of their expense account give its business travelers free Uber's so maybe the rental car companies are slower? Uber has its hand in everything.

Looking closer at the New Flyer white buses they are coming from lot F, which I assume is the car rental facility. The other buses I was looking for before, the former lot shuttles are working everything else. I don't know about this rental car facility. It seems alot of riding around to get to the facility. With no ATS, I would think that would hurt business. Who wants to lag big bags of luggage all over town? Uber is easy and an app call away. Uber thrives on convenience. The shuttle buses don't really seem that full if you take into account all the buses lost plus with no branding a tourist doesn't know where he/she needs to go to get to a rental car facility. It's a confusing mess, hopefully they didn't pull the airport kiosks for the car rentals or there business will be hurt further.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:45 PM, artthouwill said:

The ATS upgrades haven't been  completed yet.  Even though I spotted some new cars on the ATS yard, I don't think  they all have been  received yet

I also don't think  they've been  tested. Which probably won't happen  until the power upgrades and fine optics hve been completed 

Not only is the rental facility open. The parking garage known as F Lot is open also.   When the ATS does run there. Pace and the Regional  buses will too

They still haven't  solved the number one problem  which is Uber/Lyft.

The latest news release states that the ATS will shutdown completely beginning January 9th for testing. Completion is scheduled for next fall. Not sure if that means the system will be completely closed for the entirety of that time. Either way, things will be painful given the problems they have had thus far with meeting demand and keeping schedules.

14 minutes ago, rl12383 said:

The latest news release states that the ATS will shutdown completely beginning January 9th for testing. Completion is scheduled for next fall. Not sure if that means the system will be completely closed for the entirety of that time. Either way, things will be painful given the problems they have had thus far with meeting demand and keeping schedules.

If I'm reading correctly, it will be closed the entire time after the 7th. My only question is whether or not the shuttle system will be set up like Massport's or if a shuttle will just make every single stop.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/ServicesAmenities/services/Pages/ATS.aspx

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

If I'm reading correctly, it will be closed the entire time after the 7th. My only question is whether or not the shuttle system will be set up like Massport's or if a shuttle will just make every single stop.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/ServicesAmenities/services/Pages/ATS.aspx

Wow

Initially earlier this year the completion time frame was  through this winter.  Now this means nearly another year.  By the time this gets done  something else will muck up.  O'Hare  will be in a constant state of construction chaos for the next decade.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Wow

Initially earlier this year the completion time frame was  through this winter.  Now this means nearly another year.  By the time this gets done  something else will muck up.  O'Hare  will be in a constant state of construction chaos for the next decade.

Seems to be the norm. O'Hare will join ATL, MEM and BOS among others with multi-year renovation/construction projects.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Article in the tribune discusses transportation projects for 2020. A short mention of the ATS describes the completion date for the ATS as "late spring". Sounds like it wont be ready in "early 2020" as had been mentioned earlier this year. Seems they can not get this project done right:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/transportation/ct-biz-road-construction-projects-2020-getting-around-20191230-chrybg2ikvhenberatrd2hbwea-story.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

Effective, May 17: 250 and 330 will be moved to the Intermodal Terminal. 

What did the notice mean concerning "the permanent closure of the O'Hare Kuss n Fly ATS station in Lot E?"   The "Kiss N Fly" turnaround has been closed due to the expansion of the ATS to the MMF.  I could be wrong,  but u didn't remember seeing anything about a permanent E Lot Station closing.  Now I wonder if they are losing E Lot permanently?  Will that area become the new location for the new Marriott hotel?

What will happen to Lits G and H?  Will they remain open once the ATS becomes operational?  In ant event, u think the city needs to ass a few more floors to the MMF.

I also wonder if there is an E Lot closure, could it be related to the pandemic, or if the pandemic expedited its closure?

It was rumored that at some point, presumably when the ATS is running again, the regional buses to Champaign, Indiana, and Wisconsin would move to the MMS 

On 5/6/2020 at 4:32 PM, artthouwill said:

What did the notice mean concerning "the permanent closure of the O'Hare Kuss n Fly ATS station in Lot E?"   The "Kiss N Fly" turnaround has been closed due to the expansion of the ATS to the MMF.  I could be wrong,  but u didn't remember seeing anything about a permanent E Lot Station closing.  Now I wonder if they are losing E Lot permanently?  Will that area become the new location for the new Marriott hotel?

What will happen to Lits G and H?  Will they remain open once the ATS becomes operational?  In ant event, u think the city needs to ass a few more floors to the MMF.

I also wonder if there is an E Lot closure, could it be related to the pandemic, or if the pandemic expedited its closure?

It was rumored that at some point, presumably when the ATS is running again, the regional buses to Champaign, Indiana, and Wisconsin would move to the MMS 

I think it’s just the closure of the ATS station in Lot E, the lot will still be open. Just not to Pace buses, I assume. I guess if you need to get to the lot, you’ll have to take an airport shuttle from the O’Hare Multi-Modal Facility once the Pace bus terminates.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I think it’s just the closure of the ATS station in Lot E, the lot will still be open. Just not to Pace buses, I assume. I guess if you need to get to the lot, you’ll have to take an airport shuttle from the O’Hare Multi-Modal Facility once the Pace bus terminates.

Maybe I misunderstood.   The reason given for the move was the ATS station in E Lot was closing.   What I don't understand is WHY the E Lot ATS station is permanently closing if the E Lot is staying open?  Will another station replace it (which I doubt)?  

For now,  I assume that shuttles will continue to run between the E Lot and the Terminals.

The other question is when will the ATS actually resume service?  The last time we heard anything,  we were told early 2020.  It us May 9th, and it doesn't appear that it will open this month.   Testing has been going on since late last year.  When it does actually open, the city needs to keep the shuttles running for at least another 3 months to ensure the system doesn't encounter any other problems. 

1 minute ago, artthouwill said:

Maybe I misunderstood.   The reason given for the move was the ATS station in E Lot was closing.   What I don't understand is WHY the E Lot ATS station is permanently closing if the E Lot is staying open?  Will another station replace it (which I doubt)?  

For now,  I assume that shuttles will continue to run between the E Lot and the Terminals.

The other question is when will the ATS actually resume service?  The last time we heard anything,  we were told early 2020.  It us May 9th, and it doesn't appear that it will open this month.   Testing has been going on since late last year.  When it does actually open, the city needs to keep the shuttles running for at least another 3 months to ensure the system doesn't encounter any other problems. 

The new O’Hare MMF has an ATS station. I believe this new facility will serve as the hub for Pace buses, and shuttle buses to all or most of the Lot & Terminals in the airport. 

Honestly I don’t know what gonna on with the reopening of the ATS. It was supposedly told fall 2019, and then postponed to early 2020, I’m betting now, that they’ll reopen it once the pandemic calms down. We’ll see.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

The new O’Hare MMF has an ATS station. I believe this new facility will serve as the hub for Pace buses, and shuttle buses to all or most of the Lot & Terminals in the airport. 

Honestly I don’t know what gonna on with the reopening of the ATS. It was supposedly told fall 2019, and then postponed to early 2020, I’m betting now, that they’ll reopen it once the pandemic calms down. We’ll see.

I remember the F Lot shuttle buses going to the Kiss n fly at the E Lot ATS.  What doesn't make sense is to close down a perfectly functioning E Lot Station.   Why can't the train stop at both E Lot AND the MMF? That minimizes the need for buses.  Shuttles would have to serve Lots G and H which could be done from either Lot E or the MMF.. 

O'Hare's website has this statement about the E Lot:

Effective June 1, 2020, Economy Lot E will be permanently closed. If you still have a vehicle parked there, please contact Standard Parking at 773-686-7530 for assistance.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/tofrom/parking/Pages/economy.aspx

Speculation on my part,  but it could be that the E Lot is getting converted to employee parking? I believe the adjacent H Lot is employee parking. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, rl12383 said:

The ATS has a history of opening delays, mechanical issues, and breakdowns from its opening back in 1993.    Someone asked what would happen first between the ATS opening or the 7000a testing in revenue service for CTA.  CTA might actually win.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, rl12383 said:

We are almost in October 2920.  The ATS was supposed to be up and running by Thanksgiving 2019.  It's 10 months later and still no news.

From what I understand a new runway will open sometime in November. The existing ATS station is supposed to be removed because it's in the flightpath. 

I wonder if they've just decided to delay the opening because of that, or if there's other issues they haven't been able to resolve. 

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

From what I understand a new runway will open sometime in November. The existing ATS station is supposed to be removed because it's in the flightpath. 

I wonder if they've just decided to delay the opening because of that, or if there's other issues they haven't been able to resolve. 

The old cars are still in the lot at taft and irving pk as well.