ATS O'Hare

4 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

From what I understand a new runway will open sometime in November. The existing ATS station is supposed to be removed because it's in the flightpath. 

I wonder if they've just decided to delay the opening because of that, or if there's other issues they haven't been able to resolve. 

That doesn't seem to make sense.  If the ATS station is in the flight path, so is the railway.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

They have been running test trains since 2019.  Its almost 2021.  When will we see these ATS trains in passenger service?

Ah I had no idea they were running them out on the road, I'd imagine Q1 2021 if they've been testing that long but that's just a guess.

1 hour ago, WCR said:

Ah I had no idea they were running them out on the road, I'd imagine Q1 2021 if they've been testing that long but that's just a guess.

They have been testing since 2019.  The new cars arrived in summer of 2018.  Its all noted further up in this thread.  The ATS was supposed to open by Thanksgiving 2019, then push to early 2020.  As you can see,  we're leas than a month from 2021 with no announcement from the City concerning a new opening date 

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

They have been testing since 2019.  The new cars arrived in summer of 2018.  Its all noted further up in this thread.  The ATS was supposed to open by Thanksgiving 2019, then push to early 2020.  As you can see,  we're leas than a month from 2021 with no announcement from the City concerning a new opening date 

I'm guessing winter 2025 when they go into actual service!  /s

48 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

according to CTA the proterras are going into service end of 2020

They got 18 days left. Between this and the 6 missing #7000s, I just dont know. Seems somewhat foreboding the #700s are not yet on the #66. I wonder why not just send out some Proterras out in tripper service. Then they wouldnt need the towers. Ease them in get a trainer stationed at Austin or at the garage if theres a tower and show the operators first hand how the bus charges. Keep them around making sure everyone is on the same page and let them loose. The first order seems so delayed I think both orders may come together. 

• 1 month later...

Spotted a 3 car consist testing between Terminal 3 en route to Terminal 5 yesterday afternoon around 5 p.m.

Our system is dated compared to Tampa.  However, in Ta8, it may be necessary to catch 2 APM trains.   The first train (automatic people mover) takes you from any of four airline concourses *terminals) to the landslide central terminal.  If you are parked in the economy parking garage, going to the remote parental car facility, or catching a city bus, you have to take the APM that serves the parking garage (one stop( and the remote rental facility garage (second stop).  The stations gave multiple sides.  One set of doors open on the train for passengers getting off.  A few seconds later, the opposite doors open for boarding passengers.

I hope to see our ATS reopen soon.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Spotted a 3 car consist testing between Terminal 3 en route to Terminal 5 yesterday afternoon around 5 p.m.

Our system is dated compared to Tampa.  However, in Ta8, it may be necessary to catch 2 APM trains.   The first train (automatic people mover) takes you from any of four airline concourses *terminals) to the landslide central terminal.  If you are parked in the economy parking garage, going to the remote parental car facility, or catching a city bus, you have to take the APM that serves the parking garage (one stop( and the remote rental facility garage (second stop).  The stations gave multiple sides.  One set of doors open on the train for passengers getting off.  A few seconds later, the opposite doors open for boarding passengers.

Hopefully the O'Hare ATS will reopen by 2050!

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, artthouwill said:

Atlanta is the same way if you have to go to the rental car center or convention center in between. The train between the airport concourses is called the Plane Train and the train between the baggage claim area and convention center and CONRAC is called the ATL Skytrain.

21 hours ago, strictures said:

Yes, it will probably be serving whatever replaced Terminals 1-3 by then! xD

33 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Atlanta is the same way if you have to go to the rental car center or convention center in between. The train between the airport concourses is called the Plane Train and the train between the baggage claim area and convention center and CONRAC is called the ATL Skytrain.

Yes, it will probably be serving whatever replaced Terminals 1-3 by then! xD

In Atlanta. The Plane train serves all concourses and turns underground.  In Tampa, each concourse has its own train to the terminals, and all trains are elevated.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

In Atlanta. The Plane train serves all concourses and turns underground.  In Tampa, each concourse has its own train to the terminals, and all trains are elevated.

Correct. The main thing is that depending on where you’re heading you still might have to take two trains. I’m not sure where the economy parking is in Atlanta.

Phoenix Sky Harbor actually has a setup similar to O’Hare with no airside trains and a landside train serving economy parking, all terminals, and a transit center at 44th street I believe. It’s also being extended in the other direction to their rental car center to replace the shuttle buses.

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 5:00 PM, strictures said:

Well, the mid June reopening has been pushed back to an unknown date.  By the time 2050 gets here, the new cars will be young (in terms of mileage) and obsolete 

I wonder why they didn't replace the rails when extending the ATS?

11 hours ago, rvwnsd said:

Funny how CTA could rebuild the entire Red Line in a matter of months and the ATS has taken several years to be modernized. They should have just built an 'L' line. 

They would've been better off had they rebuilt new rails from end to end.   But considering that during the first phase, the old cars were still running only on the weekends and 24/7 during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season at the end of 2017, I guess putting in new rail didn't seem necessary.  

From what I understand,  the new cars seem to have operational issues during cold and wintery weather conditions.  The City wants to make sure those issues are resolved before putting the new cars in passenger service. 

Ironically I remember when the ATS opened in 1993.  The system always shut down during thunderstorms  and shuttle bus service had to be implemented.   Once the storms passed and power restored,  ATS service was restored.   After the first year,  they fixed the problem. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Adam Kerman said:

I'm going to try to ride it, since I anticipate that revenue service will be mysteriously withdrawn. I assume the shuttle buses will continue to run during its limited service hours.

Funny they say the cold and snow is what makes the line most likely of a failure and they start service on the coldest day in 6 months!!