What's Left for Pace's NABI LFW 6162s/ 6600s?

qwantae

47 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Today I got 6257 (Yay!) and 6262, which replaced 6651. I have no idea what happened to 6651, as it was supposed to be the bus I take, but it might have had a problem and 6262 had to come. Also, when we came to Oak Park, there was an emergency with one of the buildings, and I originally thought 6563 had a sick passenger or a car hit it, until I came to the front.

I think 6563 is the bus with suspension that is not working properly.  I was on 307 2 months ago and when the driver kneeled the bus, it got stuck in the middle of kneeling and then it just drops down with a bang.  I thought the bus got rear ended; driver thought the same thing but nothing happened behind us.  He kneels the bus again at another stop and same thing happens.

• 1 month later...

6255 is another bus I rode today in very nice condition. I will post videos of that bus to YouTube, and I already did for 6669, 6240, and 6296. 6255 kind of reminds me of TTC's Orion 7 OG that I saw many videos of including 7883's back in December right before retirement. This bus was such a good ride and I hope to get 6227 and 6258.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I would like to tell you that Pace is going to be replacing these buses pretty soon with some New Flyers, and they are buying 75 of them. This also includes the 2005's.

That came during the monthly Pace board meeting. I saw the listing on the Pace Web site.

So, the XD40's will arrive beginning sometime next year. This will satisfy the 40-foot portion of the latest bidding. (And I was surprised that NFI got the bid over "ElDorko" or even Nova Bus for the 40-footers; in fact, NFI might have been the only bidder there.) And if they get initially assigned to West, then I would expect to see them on a few routes that serve the northwest suburbs (I live in Mount Prospect now), such as the #303, #332, #608 and #757.

That leaves the 30-foot portion of a potentially large order of buses for Pace yet to be awarded. (And I know that "ElDorko" is one of the very few North American bus manufacturers left that still manufactures a 30-foot heavy-duty bus; most of the other companies start off at 35 feet long.)

18 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

That came during the monthly Pace board meeting. I saw the listing on the Pace Web site.

So, the XD40's will arrive beginning sometime next year. This will satisfy the 40-foot portion of the latest bidding. (And I was surprised that NFI got the bid over "ElDorko" or even Nova Bus for the 40-footers; in fact, NFI might have been the only bidder there.) And if they get initially assigned to West, then I would expect to see them on a few routes that serve the northwest suburbs (I live in Mount Prospect now), such as the #303, #332, #608 and #757.

That leaves the 30-foot portion of a potentially large order of buses for Pace yet to be awarded. (And I know that "ElDorko" is one of the very few North American bus manufacturers left that still manufactures a 30-foot heavy-duty bus; most of the other companies start off at 35 feet long.)

I believe Gillig & El Dorado might be the only ones left. I wonder if they'll consider Proterras, plenty of places (Naperville, Aurora, Joliet, Elgin & Waukegan are the ones that come to mind) where a 30ft proterra would work

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I believe Gillig & El Dorado might be the only ones left. I wonder if they'll consider Proterras, plenty of places (Naperville, Aurora, Joliet, Elgin & Waukegan are the ones that come to mind) where a 30ft proterra would work

The specification was for clean diesel buses, and Pace said they would not consider battery-electrics. Proterra wouldn’t have bid anyway, as they only make 35’ and 40’ models.

(I sound like @Busjack now. I miss having him on here.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

I wonder which divisions are gonna get the NF's? Because I know South is out of the question since it's an all CNG garage now.

More than likely West. But there is a fairly remote chance that North Shore, Northwest or River might receive a few (though Northwest is less likely as they currently have too many newer buses)..

Just now, artthouwill said:

What's your source?  I couldn't find anything on Pace nor New Flyer websites.

https://www.facebook.com/PaceBus/?epa=SEARCH_BOX and look for my comment in the post where it shows the heritage fleet will be coming as a special 35th anniversary and Throwback Thursday photo of two vintage buses and a current 30-foot Eldorado. My user is named "Erin Mishkin."

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

If the other two, 6612 and 6651, are no longer in service, 6669 would be the only one left. I will also be riding that for the second time today, as I made a video of 6669 in October.

Wrong. 6669 isnt the only one left. Don't forget ravinia has most of the 6600's

Ravinia buses are not and never were actually retired. They are the best of what is left when a series is being retired.

They are operated on a limited basis, in the summer time to serve only Ravinia Park from the parking areas.

They get their final farewells when they are removed from Ravinia service.

4 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

Ravinia buses are not and never were actually retired. They are the best of what is left when a series is being retired.

They are operated on a limited basis, in the summer time to serve only Ravinia Park from the parking areas.

They get their final farewells when they are removed from Ravinia service.

Where would the garage for these buses be located?

2 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Where would the garage for these buses be located?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Wouldn't they be run out of North Shore?

They are kept at Highland Park Public Works at 1150 Half Day Road during concert season. Last year it was reported that there were four additional Ravinia buses stored at North Division, presumably due to space constraints in Highland Park.

10 hours ago, Pace831 said:

They are kept at Highland Park Public Works at 1150 Half Day Road during concert season. Last year it was reported that there were four additional Ravinia buses stored at North Division, presumably due to space constraints in Highland Park.

Wow, I didn't know that many buses were needed for service, I count at least 33