Bombard Delay??? (Say It Isn't So)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 12:14 PM, Busjack said:

Same question could be raised about the Nippon Sharyo USA plant in Rochelle.... but they say they have a contract for high level passenger cars with Caltrans and IDOT.

Looks like Bombardier isn't the only one with contract problems. Tribune article that Caltrans pulled the Nippon Sharyo Rochelle contract, which also included IDOT, due to failed safety tests on Metra-like cars and OSHA problems.The article implies the question what work is left at Rochelle (the answer to which seems to depend on Metra claiming not to have capital funds).

Update: According to Railway Age, this was accomplished by Caltrans agreeing that Sumitomo could change its subcontractor from Nippon Sharyo to Siemens, and just only an amendment of the contract.

• 4 weeks later...

Bombardier's R179s finally entered service on the NYC subway, only to be taken off the rails again after three mishaps while performing their 30 day in service tests. They have since returned to in service testing. What caught my eye was the November 27 incident. You can read about the incidents here, and read a transit blogger's take on them here (both sites have similar text).

5 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Bombardier's R179s finally entered service on the NYC subway, only to be taken off the rails again after three mishaps while performing their 30 day in service tests. They have since returned to in service testing. What caught my eye was the November 27 incident. You can read about the incidents here, and read a transit blogger's take on them here (both sites have similar text).

Other than the desperation that deliveries are late, it looks like the Daily News is freaking to some extent about stuff that turns up in normal testing. For instance, the Nov. 27 one doesn't sound any different from CTA having to use the stinger at Tower 18, and that was after testing was over.

I don't know what testing regime MTA has in its contracts, but it doesn't seem to be the CTA one of testing of 10 of the first 12 cars for a year, resulting in the 5000s being sent back to the factory for retrofitting.Wait until they find out about the CTA bad trucks and welding.

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

Other than the desperation that deliveries are late, it looks like the Daily News is freaking to some extent about stuff that turns up in normal testing. For instance, the Nov. 27 one doesn't sound any different from CTA having to use the stinger at Tower 18, and that was after testing was over.

I don't know what testing regime MTA has in its contracts, but it doesn't seem to be the CTA one of testing of 10 of the first 12 cars for a year, resulting in the 5000s being sent back to the factory for retrofitting.Wait until they find out about the CTA bad trucks and welding.

Agreed. Generally yes, they are teething problems. The Rockets in Toronto also had door issues when introduced, but from what I’ve heard, those are fixed or in the process of being fixed. But I would consider the train losing power pretty serious.

And bad welding already struck the initial R179 bodies, so they were rejected. ;S