600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

Wow no hopper windows. They better hope these buses are up to the challenge. Hopefully they can start service soon. I'm tired of waiting for them already. They already are 2 orders in and they still are not in service. Then they have these #6400's that are celebrating their 20th birthday. They are getting closer to being in service the longest but it will be hard to beat the #300's which #301 ran in service for 28 years.

12 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I feel like that increases dwell times

I remember too the #7100s had that. Those doors would get caught on everything guardrails, fire hydrants, poles. Used to have a blast watching the doors in action coming home from school in the early 90s. I would be interesting to know the 7000s were designed and built straight from Germany. The 7100s were more americanized from Charlotte I believe. Was that an american off the shelf look cause other cities like the ex seattle 7300s had the doors open inwards. 

• 3 weeks later...

CTA gave a Capital Improvement Plan presentation to the CMAP Transportation Committee on Dec 11 2020.

6 buses have arrived, 14 additional buses will arrive in Q3 2021. The Capital Improvement Plan funds another 70 electric buses.

Page 8: https://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/1110048/CTA_CIP_FY2021-2025_CMAP_final.pdf/31f48863-4ea0-263d-2472-5d0acd6c52d8?t=1607726249694

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

No you're right I don't see any evidence of a guide marker but as time goes on there will be one placed.

10 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm surprised there's no guide marker for where to stop the bus. Or maybe it's just the angle

Might be waiting to figure optimal placement. I’d imagine berthing and layover at ALL turnarounds involved are gonna see a change especially with mixed fleets 

4 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

At Navy Pier there's a yellow marker painted on the curb by the charger.

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Might be waiting to figure optimal placement. I’d imagine berthing and layover at ALL turnarounds involved are gonna see a change especially with mixed fleets 

I never saw one placed at Midway either, although I imagine the pole holding the bus stop might serve in lieu of that

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kevin said:

Did we ever get confirmation on the model of the buses? Initial speculation was the BE40, although Proterra no longer lists this model on their web site in favor of the ZX5 which looks nearly identical to my eye.

They are Proterra Cataylst BE40. Yes they have been discontinued by Proterra. You can tell these are BE40 by the curvature of the front windshield and taillights.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• Kevin changed the title to 600-series Proterra BE40 - Deliveries & Assignments (was: Up to 45 Electric Buses)
  • Kevin featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah this model looks slightly better but not by much.

20210301_194552.jpg

20210301_194618.jpg

Probably they are looking to expand on the order they have from Proterra or Proterra is just advertising its product. CTA does want to order more electrics. I think unless they are bound to order from Proterra maybe they should take a look at novabus electrics. They are going to have a sizable fleet of novas soon. It would be easier to fix and the mechanics would be better qualified to work on something they see alot of. Novabus should send them an electric demonstrator.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...