600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

25 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

I thought it debuted in 1987 by starting to repaint the 4000-Series M.A.N. Americana buses, the 1000-Series, 7400-Series, 9000-Series, 9600-Series GM Buses, 7000-Series and 7100-Series buses M.A.N. Articulated buses and the 1600-Series and 9800-Series Flyer buses.

True, but that was only the prototype applications. I go by what the buses were painted in, as delivered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 9:59 AM, artthouwill said:

What I would love is for CTA to return to the "Green Limousine." I would take either the livery starting with the 1000/7400 series GMC GMC fishbowls or the 7000 series MAN articulated buses.  That scheme continued through the 9800/1600 series Flyers and the 4300 series MAN Americanas.  I suppose the dark green of the 300s, 3500s would also work 

A less desirable option would be to take the schemes from the ORD Parking lot shuttles which depict the city colors and theme. 

Somehow I think CTA will differentiate the electric fleet from the rest with either a modified version of the current livery or a special wrap.

The new livery started with the Flyer D901s and MAN Americanas 

On 5/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, RJL6000 said:

True, but that was only the prototype applications. I go by what the buses were painted in, as delivered.

The new scheme debut in 1987 

I dont know if this was reported yet, but I was doing some uber on west Chicago and the scaffolding and everything has been removed from the chicago/austin substation. Three cta engineers were outside talking about the new facility. If I was there I would have asked them where are the Proterras??? Lol!!

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I dont know if this was reported yet, but I was doing some uber on west Chicago and the scaffolding and everything has been removed from the chicago/austin substation. Three cta engineers were outside talking about the new facility. If I was there I would have asked them where are the Proterras??? Lol!!

They’re working on the one at Midway behind me as I literally type. Most everything has been installed though 

CTA received the 6th Proterra Electric bus in January 2020. All 6 standard pilot buses have 
completed the post-delivery inspection. Open items identified during the inspection are currently 
being addressed. 3 more pilots are expected by end of 2020 or early 2021. 14 production level 
buses are expected at the end of 2021.

2 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

CTA received the 6th Proterra Electric bus in January 2020. All 6 standard pilot buses have 
completed the post-delivery inspection. Open items identified during the inspection are currently 
being addressed. 3 more pilots are expected by end of 2020 or early 2021. 14 production level 
buses are expected at the end of 2021.

That is good to see an update, we had about two or three last week but they've disappeared once again so I guess that would answer my question as to why.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

They’re actually done with what they were doing at midway so I guess the electric buses are next for testing perhaps? We shall see

I think they’re still doing work on the substation, it’s still gated off

1 hour ago, John7 said:

Not yet. They still have to install another pantograph on the other bay. 

Was Midway slated for 2 pantographs? Why would they not have just installed both at the same time? It’s not like Midway didn’t have the space to move the 63, since the 55A/N don’t really use their bay space, and there’s a gap between that and the 54B north bay. Also, the rooftop work doesn’t indicate there were plans to place a second one, but I’d need to take a closer look at it

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Figured I'd share a preview of what the XDE40's and Proterras will look like once the charging stations are completed. 

117723113_2688114288127835_3039884309104272064_o.jpg

So I wonder what happens when there is a power failure. There still are lots of traftic lights out in the city. Belmont and western being the most hair raising. Saw a bicyclist almost get hit there. She was as close as you can get to getting hit. 

I wonder also will there be a parking point cause the pantograph has to be precise. Technology changes so fast probably the modern thing to do is putting a charging pad instead of a charging tower. I wonder what are the risks in an electrical storm? 

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So I wonder what happens when there is a power failure. There still are lots of traftic lights out in the city. Belmont and western being the most hair raising. Saw a bicyclist almost get hit there. She was as close as you can get to getting hit. 

I wonder also will there be a parking point cause the pantograph has to be precise. Technology changes so fast probably the modern thing to do is putting a charging pad instead of a charging tower. I wonder what are the risks in an electrical storm? 

I would think a back up generator would of been installed during construction for the Austin terminal as well as for Midway as well. Navy Pier it appears will have it and possibly a designated lane for electric buses only. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what is the height clearance on a bus with a pantograph? Chicago has lots of viaducts. But you would think back in the old days with the electric buses, they made it, so why not here. But those buses were more restricted as they could not go where electric was not. 

In other news I hear cta is expecting the 20 electric buses this year. So maybe well see some in service soon. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder what is the height clearance on a bus with a pantograph? Chicago has lots of viaducts. But you would think back in the old days with the electric buses, they made it, so why not here. But those buses were more restricted as they could not go where electric was not. 

In other news I hear cta is expecting the 20 electric buses this year. So maybe well see some in service soon. 

That Faively pantograph is a lot taller than the thin trolley poles the streetcars & trolley buses had.