Sign in to follow this  
Busjack

Up to 45 Electric Buses

17 minutes ago, Nova's at 103rd said:

Will there be a charging station at 63rd and Stony Island because if so will the YMCA allow this on the outside of it's property, or is it city property.

Also the Proterra's are on back order due to not being able to manufactured right now.

Plus if 74th will get Proterra's then maybe 54B should be sent to 74th so 63rd and South Cicero can be at one garage and not have a bus bay at Midway for 2 buses who serve the same station but different garages.

Shouldn't 79th be discussed as one going electric or is it just to busy during times.

Chicago won a grant this year to purchase 30 electric buses from Proterra, which is headquartered in Silicon Valley but has manufacturing plants in L.A. and South Carolina. Proterra has been rapidly expanding. It has reportedly been overwhelmed with orders.From https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/12/07/why-are-we-still-waiting-for-electric-buses/

It is strange that 54B runs out of Chicago as opposed to Kedzie or 74th

Did I miss something? When was the 79 under consideration for electrification?

5 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It is strange that 54B runs out of Chicago as opposed to Kedzie or 74th

Did I miss something? When was the 79 under consideration for electrification?

I was just stating since the 66 was going electric shouldn't 79 at least be considered

3 hours ago, sw4400 said:

So Proterra got the contract in June, 2018 and all has gone quiet... when should we be seeing a prototype and delivery of these buses?

@Nova's at 103rd mentioned this in his last post, Proterra is backed up with orders, a bus might not arrive until late 2019. They have two manufacturing plants, but I also believe the buses are delivered by truck, which increases delivery time

https://www.masstransitmag.com/home/press-release/12393848/eb-start-consulting-electric-bus-sales-to-public-transit-agencies-nearly-doubles-in-2017

4 hours ago, Nova's at 103rd said:

I was just stating since the 66 was going electric shouldn't 79 at least be considered

I'd call the 66 and the 63 too heavy for electrification myself, but I don't work at CTA and I'm not in the field either, so they clearly know more than me. From my outside perspective, the Proterra's would've gone to a garage with a multitude of small buses routes in which many of them share a common terminal. 74th, North Park & arguably 103rd fit this. However, based on what we know, chargers will be at 74th & Chicago and I don't see them moving the 79 to 74th just for electrics.

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

I really don't know about these Proterras which we have yet to see, honestly. This article was from January, 2019...

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/01/electric-bus-battery-recharge-new-flyer-byd-proterra-beb/577954/

I mean, I don't think Proterra has had a major issue yet. And the ABQ incidient is the only one I can think of for BYD in America. Indianapolis & Antelope Valley seem just fine with their BYD artics

50 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I mean, I don't think Proterra has had a major issue yet. And the ABQ incidient is the only one I can think of for BYD in America. Indianapolis & Antelope Valley seem just fine with their BYD artics

LA Metro.....