600-series Proterra BE40/ZX5 - Updates

Busjack

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Do we have a model for the Proterras, BTW(e.g: New Flyer is D40LF, Nova Bus is LFS)? I don't know if there's a definite series number for them, yet.

Someone said 600-619, which would make sense. And I would assume BE40 Catalyst.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

My understanding is that the order is for 45 Proterras.  Hat means nearly half will go to C and the rest to 74th.  Most likely the routes they will run will be 63 63rd and 66 Chicago.

Ahhh, gotcha

49 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Yes CTA confirmed 74th and C are getting them and they will operate on 124 66 and 63

You have a press release for that?

My prediction is 18-21 to 74th and the other 24-27 to C. It only takes 3 buses to run the 124, and the 63 takes about 18? buses last checked during peak, and the rest for the 66, which probably requires slightly more buses than the 63

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Ahhh, gotcha

You have a press release for that?

My prediction is 18-21 to 74th and the other 24-27 to C. It only takes 3 buses to run the 124, and the 63 takes about 18? buses last checked during peak, and the rest for the 66, which probably requires slightly more buses than the 63

https://www.transitchicago.com/cta-expands-electric-bus-fleet/

CF6CACC4-07EF-4276-B13A-DB633C2F2A9E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BusGuy248 said:

The Proterra Demo bus has been sitting at Chicago ave for a couple weeks now. Lots of construction at the garage to put in the infrastructure to support the new buses.

I feel like I got of glance of it on Sheridan at Loyola while I was on the Purple Line Express.  I'm not too sure  though.  Is it a white bus with white LED signs?

2 hours ago, BusGuy248 said:

The Proterra Demo bus has been sitting at Chicago ave for a couple weeks now. Lots of construction at the garage to put in the infrastructure to support the new buses.

Yeah they need to train operators how to use the buses. They drive different than diesels. They are supposed to get some in August according to Andre. Can tbey charge the one bus or do they have to take it to kedzie periodically? I wonder if that bus is cta property. Proterra wouldnt leave them a demo bus as it has to promote its product. Maybe that is the mechanical trainer although if its electric it doesn't have as many mechanical parts. If a electric bus is as simple as an electric car a wall charger wouldnt be too hard to install for the garage anyway 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah they need to train operators how to use the buses. They drive different than diesels. They are supposed to get some in August according to Andre. Can tbey charge the one bus or do they have to take it to kedzie periodically? I wonder if that bus is cta property. Proterra wouldnt leave them a demo bus as it has to promote its product. Maybe that is the mechanical trainer although if its electric it doesn't have as many mechanical parts. If a electric bus is as simple as an electric car a wall charger wouldnt be too hard to install for the garage anyway 

I think it is CTA property now since it’s been with CTA for couple months now

54 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I think it is CTA property now since it’s been with CTA for couple months now

So either the 20-bus order included the demo to save money, or CTA is renting it to train drivers before the real order gets here to save time. Anyone know roughly when the demo was built?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WCR said:

So either the 20-bus order included the demo to save money, or CTA is renting it to train drivers before the real order gets here to save time. Anyone know roughly when the demo was built?

100% CTA is renting it to train drivers before the August-September order comes so they can roll em out quickly 

This is the bus at Chicago. The charger for the new flyer is not the same as the Proterra charger. The bus came with its own "rescue vehicle" a Chevy pickup truck with a charger strapped to the bed, it's the only way to charge the bus. This bus is still Proterra property. Demo only. They aren't even doing training on this bus because its "old technology". The tech is moving so fast in electric technology that after 6 to 12 months it's obsolete. 

20190509_072610.jpg

• Thanks 3

So why are they there if not to train operators? I guess if it was a mechanical trainer it would be out south where the mechanics train. Could be the contract calls for a demo bus by certain time time has passed no bus means breach of contract so they have a bus. Hmm it's weird it's there. The contract is behind though. 

2 hours ago, BusGuy248 said:

This is the bus at Chicago. The charger for the new flyer is not the same as the Proterra charger. The bus came with its own "rescue vehicle" a Chevy pickup truck with a charger strapped to the bed, it's the only way to charge the bus. This bus is still Proterra property. Demo only. They aren't even doing training on this bus because its "old technology". The tech is moving so fast in electric technology that after 6 to 12 months it's obsolete. 

20190509_072610.jpg

It's probably just there to give CTA officials an idea of what they're getting.  That could be the only reason if it's not there to train operators or to train mechanics because the technology on it is older than the official Proterra orders CTA is getting.