Sign in to follow this  
Pace831

Historic New Lenox station facing demolition

Thanks for posting all these pics of the move, Pace831! I'm glad someone stepped up to preserve this building, and that it wasn't demolished. That was always a depot building I liked a lot, from those times I either rode Metra on a weekend pass trip to Joliet, or (once) went to New Lenox on a weekend pass trip of various RI line stops.

The redevelopment around the New Lenox building of retail buildings makes me wonder if it'll flop and there won't be a lot of businesses that go into there, a la Oak Forest. Where as I recall, nothing was built except for a CVS. Though I didn't mind Oak Forest deciding to build a new Metra depot building(which the new one actually is VERY nice looking), since the old one IMO was ugly looking.

15 hours ago, 2200SeriesFan said:

Thanks for posting all these pics of the move, Pace831! I'm glad someone stepped up to preserve this building, and that it wasn't demolished. That was always a depot building I liked a lot, from those times I either rode Metra on a weekend pass trip to Joliet, or (once) went to New Lenox on a weekend pass trip of various RI line stops.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed them. Fortunately the storms that were forecasted didn't happen so I was able to stay out all day on bicycle to get all those pictures.

15 hours ago, 2200SeriesFan said:

The redevelopment around the New Lenox building of retail buildings makes me wonder if it'll flop and there won't be a lot of businesses that go into there, a la Oak Forest. Where as I recall, nothing was built except for a CVS. Though I didn't mind Oak Forest deciding to build a new Metra depot building(which the new one actually is VERY nice looking), since the old one IMO was ugly looking.

New Lenox has already found businesses for the development around the station: CVS, Starbucks, Durbin's Pizza, and Zembar Jewelers. There are, however, several vacant commercial properties around town, for which village politics are partly to blame. Pizza King (1 block west) recently closed and I can't help but wonder if expected competition from Durbin's influenced the owner's decision to close.

Oak Forest has a bank that was built at the same time as CVS, and a Starbucks was added in 2016.