More 6000's repatriated??

andrethebusman

1 minute ago, joechicago said:

Wouldn’t fair use allow pictures to be posted regardless of source?

Yes, but saying everything is fair use would absorb the rule. The basic rule under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is that if you don't own the pictures you aren't allowed to post the file on the server without permission. Fair use would require some kind of satire or editing (i.e. a snapshot of WebWatch seems to be fair use, although copying the program isn't). It sure looked like @widecab5was copying something he didn't create.

As has been mentioned frequently, there are ways of embedding pictures and tweets that don't put them on this server. Read the Community Guidelines.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2017 at 6:57 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

They might have been taken down. Were you able to show that you have the rights to upload them directly onto this site?

That's a little beyond my technical prowess.  I COULD, however, show you the original 35mm slides they were scanned from if that helps.

The .jpg scans were also sent out in an email to a few folks earlier this week.

It all sounds like a lot of trouble to me, but just so you know, I emblazon the caption and my initials "DGC,"  or those of the originating photographer (with THEIR permission) on all the images I upload, wherever they may go.  This is almost 100% to Flickr and has been since I converted to digital output in 2008.

If someone would like to clue me in on your particular rules, then I'll be so advised for next time.

No apology yet, I don't know if I did anything wrong!

26 minutes ago, widecab5 said:

That's a little beyond my technical prowess.  I COULD, however, show you the original 35mm slides they were scanned from if that helps.

It all sounds like a lot of trouble to me, but just so you know, I emblazon the caption and my initials "DGC,"  or those of the originating photographer (with THEIR permission) on all the images I upload, wherever they may go.  This is almost 100% to Flickr and has been since I converted to digital output in 2008.

If someone would like to clue me in on your particular rules, then I'll be so advised for next time.

They aren’t “my” rules, nor are they Busjack’s rules or garmon757’s. In fact, I too have learned from my mistakes on this forum. They are part of the copyright laws, and chitransit.org and its members must follow them for legal reasons. Any reference to copyright rules on this forum can be found on the Community Guidlines page. I would also like to join @Busjack in suggesting that you contact @garmon757 or another forum moderator for assistance. Thanks!

35 minutes ago, widecab5 said:

Why didn’t you say so??? I would’ve been fine with that as long as you clarified that some were yours and got permission from others. 

On 12/20/2017 at 6:57 PM, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

They might have been taken down. Were you able to show that you have the rights to upload them directly onto this site?

Just now, widecab5 said:

Sleepyhead me...

Next time I'll know!

• 3 weeks later...

Drive by the Skokie shops almost daily to and from work. Sadly as I was going west bound on Oakton, noticed the newly reaquired 6000 was tagged ? - does CTA have any formal plans as to where they will store their growing heritage fleet moving forward? Just sad to see that car tagged rather quickly after being preserved indoors in St.Louis for so long.

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2018 at 4:25 PM, Jerrymouse25 said:

Drive by the Skokie shops almost daily to and from work. Sadly as I was going west bound on Oakton, noticed the newly reaquired 6000 was tagged ? - does CTA have any formal plans as to where they will store their growing heritage fleet moving forward? Just sad to see that car tagged rather quickly after being preserved indoors in St.Louis for so long.

Why did they put it outside? They really need a museum of their own. Expect more if the samew without some protection from the elements.

• 1 year later...

I had a great time riding the 6000s today. Everyone on board seemed quite enthusiastic. There was decent turnout for the event but not so much that the crowd was uncomfortable. I got downtown after 1:00 and rode around the loop a few times, then they let us stay on to Howard once they were done. It's great to see these iconic cars return to the L.

DSCF5832.thumb.JPG.8420fa8c53573babbf9c5c8549367bba.JPG

DSCF5831.thumb.JPG.fb5a294b59da94df19e4ea4cb065bcfd.JPG

DSCF5838.thumb.JPG.532889c876513f66fc3e5391bb026b8c.JPG

DSCF5833.thumb.JPG.c70eef742ffd1940c9c225ba381e4324.JPG

DSCF5839.thumb.JPG.1b4bb448463d22f59ab6d907e5e4e267.JPG

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

For now, 6711-6712 remain in its most recent livery that was received in the mid-1980s, while those cars were still assigned to the Congress-Douglas-O'Hare line (the Congress and O'Hare portions of which now constitute today's Blue Line while the Douglas branch is now part of today's Pink Line), shortly before the CTA transferred all of the West-Northwest Route's remaining 6000s to the Ravenswood line (today's Brown Line) where they lived out their remaining service lives.

This pair, which was originally delivered in a Mercury Green-Croydon Cream livery with a Swamp Holly Orange belt rail in between the green and cream (the final variation of it, implemented when the CTA introduced the "Metropolitan Transit" version of its logo in 1957, and which dated back to the delivery of the 6200-series curved-door cars in 1954), has had several changes to its livery over the following decades: First, the 2000's-style green and white livery of the late 1960s, then the Bicentennial livery of the mid-1970s (yes, 6711-6712 did receive the Bicentennial livery, along with the name "George Washington"), before finally receiving the livery that was shown in those pics.

Funding permitting, let's bring the original as-delivered livery back on this pair.

26 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

For now, 6711-6712 remain in its most recent livery that was received in the mid-1980s, while those cars were still assigned to the Congress-Douglas-O'Hare line (the Congress and O'Hare portions of which now constitute today's Blue Line while the Douglas branch is now part of today's Pink Line), shortly before the CTA transferred all of the West-Northwest Route's remaining 6000s to the Ravenswood line (today's Brown Line) where they lived out their remaining service lives.

This pair, which was originally delivered in a Mercury Green-Croydon Cream livery with a Swamp Holly Orange belt rail in between the green and cream (the final variation of it, implemented when the CTA introduced the "Metropolitan Transit" version of its logo in 1957, and which dated back to the delivery of the 6200-series curved-door cars in 1954), has had several changes to its livery over the following decades: First, the 2000's-style green and white livery of the late 1960s, then the Bicentennial livery of the mid-1970s (yes, 6711-6712 did receive the Bicentennial livery, along with the name "George Washington"), before finally receiving the livery that was shown in those pics.

Funding permitting, let's bring the original as-delivered livery back on this pair.

Here here, not only is #6101-02 historic, it's iconic. It has the only original livery, interior and seats, headlights, lighting. It is a true museum piece. I think #6711-12 came on the scene because it had been rehabbed in the 80's was well maintained and is ready for service, and they wanted a rolling museum piece versus one that was for show. They are the number one historic transit cars of the 20th century. I just hope they put aside funding to bring #6101-02 back. It would be a major loss to the community to lose it. PCC's are retro and in cities where they have returned, they give the cities they travel in a picture of historic beauty. They have been modernized with AC and amber destination signs but enough of the antiquity is there to be modern historic vehicles. All downtowns should have such service. It would boost the tourism. There's nothing more american than PCC's. If Philly can do it, the rest of us can too (make sure to read the caption of the photo, the pcc pictured here is ADA accessible, has strobes, appears to have audible exterior speakers, it's nice to know companies still exist that restore these vehicles!!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37342890@N04/24343720868

48 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

Didn't Philadelphia receive some CTA 6000s to run in SEPTA revenue service?  What happened to those cars?

49 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Didn't Philadelphia receive some CTA 6000s to run in SEPTA revenue service?  What happened to those cars?

Most ran in limited service on the norristown high speed line. Some exist all over in museums, some have even been discovered in the forest in disheveled condition. I believe some were purchased from Septa for museums or parts vehicles. I don't know but I heard Septa may still have a few in it's boneyard. They live on, the good, the bad and the ugly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, artthouwill said:

SEPTA had a crash, and a litigation-crazed plaintiff sued everybody in the U.S.A., including the CTA (!), seeking damages. The CTA 6000s were taken out of service, and caused the Authority to insert a clause for all the out-of-service rail cars which had been retired (and subsequently sold) that they were not to be used in passenger service. ?