Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andrethebusman

More 6000's repatriated??

Recommended Posts

Have been hearing rumour another pair of 6000's are coming back to CTA. Also that 6101-6102 are in substantially worse condition than originally thought as FRTM was taking parts to keep 44 running and CTA did not realize this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite accurate, now that you brought it up.

CTA (1-50) 44 is operated at the National Museum of Transport outside St. Louis.  6711-12 from there were used to provide a few parts for it and another vehicle.

The missing parts are not critical and can be replaced easily.

The condition of 6101 and 02 is what I hear as well, but again it's just a matter of time to repair and how that fits in with CTA's available resources.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 6711-12 "George Washington" bicentennial-liveried train?
When I was riding CTA on a Sunday Supertransfer in the late 1970s, somehow this train was pulled out of the yard and run - usually on Douglas - when 2200s were supposed to have all runs.
Is the air conditioning still functional on car 6711? (6712 was not air conditioned.)

I believe Fox River Trolley Museum has single-unit cars #27 & #40, not #44. #27 was bought because it had not been converted to a pantograph.

Edited by pudgym29
added query about cars FRTM has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

The 6711-12 "George Washington" bicentennial-liveried train?
When I was riding CTA on a Sunday Supertransfer in the late 1970s, somehow this train was pulled out of the yard and run - usually on Douglas - when 2200s were supposed to have all runs.
Is the air conditioning still functional on car 6711? (6712 was not air conditioned.)

I believe Fox River Trolley Museum has single-unit cars #27 & #40, not #44. #27 was bought because it had not been converted to a pantograph.

44 is at the National Museum of Transport near St. Louis and part of its operating fleet.

6711 and 6712 are also at the National Museum of Transport, but not in its operational fleet.

As far as I recall, the A/C on 6711 wasn't working, and I don't think it was present (don't remember) when I first "met" the pair as assigned to Evanston (Purple) about 1979.

The "George Washington" held its bi-centennial colors very well, perhaps attributable to relatively low mileage at Evanston in those years (rush hours only).

It was one pair of 50 or so 6000's that were extensively rehabilitated between 1985 and 1988, then retired together off the Ravenswood (Brown) in 1992.

Its time in St. Louis was uninteresting, but the cars have been hiding inside a shed for a quarter-century and are still well-preserved for their age.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't think they are trying to harvest parts from the new set of cars? They could use at least a 4 car train but 6 or 8 probably would be better if they ever wanted to run in revenue service. This vintage fleet is starting to go places. I heard #301 and #3706 are getting fully restored just like #8499 did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

You don't think they are trying to harvest parts from the new set of cars? They could use at least a 4 car train but 6 or 8 probably would be better if they ever wanted to run in revenue service. This vintage fleet is starting to go places. I heard #301 and #3706 are getting fully restored just like #8499 did.

6101 and 6102 will be just fine and don't need any parts, just some time and TLC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So then this is a supplemental fleet. They could use a #5-50. Hint hint. I wonder if they could get ahold of a 2200 or even try and buy back 1892-1992. With money you can fix anything. It's the only living example besides #2153-54. Once it walks the green mile it's gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So then this is a supplemental fleet. They could use a #5-50. Hint hint. I wonder if they could get ahold of a 2200 or even try and buy back 1892-1992. With money you can fix anything. It's the only living example besides #2153-54. Once it walks the green mile it's gone.

Anything could happen in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, widecab5 said:

Looks like Emily will be home first.

Bob comes in later.

Home To Emily {Bob Newhart Show}.mp3

I don't get this reference, as Bob boarded a 6000 that morphed into a 2000 that morphed into a single unit, that dropped him off at Isabella, for a short walk to Sheridan and Thorndale. While that might have made him late, I don't think any of that equipment is coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2017 at 8:33 PM, Busjack said:

I don't get this reference, as Bob boarded a 6000 that morphed into a 2000 that morphed into a single unit, that dropped him off at Isabella, for a short walk to Sheridan and Thorndale. While that might have made him late, I don't think any of that equipment is coming back.

I seem to remember a 4000 in that opening sequence.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, strictures said:

I seem to remember a 4000 in that opening sequence.

I seem to remember it on a "down the river" shot on the Wells St. bridge. Similar shot on Good Times.

The MeTV site doesn't have the full opening anymore, but does have an article on how messed up the commute was. I knew where his apartment was supposed to be when, in later seasons, a 151 bus went by "Thorndale South" apartments, which, as the article notes, are at 5901 N. Sheridan, although I don't think the sign is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the first few seconds of this Season 3 episode (1974-75) and you'll see the train of 4000s off to the right.  Obviously filmed as part of the 1972 pilot sequence.

MTM must have been all over the place at Isbella that day.  Probably sometime in early 1972 (circa March, no background greenery yet) I would guess. 

"Bob" was supposed to be getting off the 1-50 (um, inbound, signed for Howard) that was entering Isabella.  So there he is, still 55 blocks from home and it looks like he musta woke up at Linden after reading his paper.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x575o84

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upon METICULOUS review, the CTA film sequence above shows that SB PCC train to be one of the trolley pole-equipped 6000-series pairs used on the Evanston Express in that time:  6123-6130.

Look closely, you'll notice the slightly different window curtain and you can see the plate above the storm door where the original rollsign box was (later the headlight).

Don't know if someone knows how the "capture" the image.

Also, much later in the same show a 1962-era CTA Flxible is seen passing "Bob's" office building in the Loop.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, widecab5 said:

So, where did the pictures go?

 

13 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

They might have been taken down. Were you able to show that you have the rights to upload them directly onto this site?

I'm not the administrator, but your buddy @klabstep did you in. I suggest you correspond directly with @garmon757 and establish that you had permission to post them. That was the discussion here until about an hour ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No definitive clarification that I was asking for on behalf of those photos. I had no choice but to take them down. It’s really not rocket science to answer a simple question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×