Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Devera

Combining Bus Routes

Recommended Posts

Right now I feel that there are some bus routes that could be combined to create a better grid. A lot of times there is a CTA route that only reaches the city border, and then a Pace route continues from there. One might argue about funding, but a good portion of Route 21 runs outside the city borders. Here are my ideas for combined routes:

12–305
20–320
60–124
63W–386
86–314
90–307
91–315

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anthony Devera said:

Right now I feel that there are some bus routes that could be combined to create a better grid. A lot of times there is a CTA route that only reaches the city border, and then a Pace route continues from there. One might argue about funding, but a good portion of Route 21 runs outside the city borders. Here are my ideas for combined routes:

12–305
20–320
60–124
63W–386
86–314
90–307
91–315

Basically, the two efforts CTA actually made with Pace (the Crowd Reduction Plan and the North Shore Coordination Study) address most of this.

For instance, 63W and 386 were coordinated by the first so that they are alternate trips.

The issue which you might have properly raised is that a West Side coordination study may be necessary. For instance, Pace cut back 307 (some trips now end at the Green Line) because 90 infringed on its territory.

You also didn't say which authority should be running in Cicero and Berwyn. If there is any lesson from the North Shore study, CTA is properly pulling back from suburban territory (canceling 54A and 205 and reducing frequency on 206). The converse is that Pace doesn't have the resources to run into Chicago, except in accordance with its mission to get to the nearest rapid transit station, which, on the west side, is in the suburbs

In short, basically all you have listed are nonstarters.

On the pure CTA combination, possible, except it decreases frequency on the Loop Link, and 124 looks like it is becoming an electric bus route. You also wouldn't have service to the Randolph-Millennium Park area (unless you are going to cut off Navy Piier, which is the whole justification for 124).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pace CTA routes noted above may have some overlap, but they serve different markets.

12 serves Roosevelt east of Central while 305 service area is West of Cicero.  Only a mile overlap.

The 90 primarily serves North of the Green Line and the  307 serves primarily south of the Green Line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think @Anthony Devera's comment was more motivated by that certain bus routes get cut off at the city line (if anyone wants to make an argument along those lines, take Pace 385), but the other commenters point out the practical difficulties in dealing with just the map.

17 hours ago, Passenger said:

... but there's also the fact that longer routes are more prone to bus bunching.

A similar consideration is that CTA doesn't want its buses stuck at a railroad crossing in the suburbs

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

but they serve different markets.

Even where there isn't overlap (such as 12/305) there's no justification for running the portion between Monitor and Forest Park as the same frequency as 12, and if one short turned 3 out of 4 12s at Monitor, any point in giving passengers a "one seat ride" would be lost (sort of like why the coordination between 95W and 381 was undone, by combining 95E and 95W into 95).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Passenger said:

I don't know if the CTA is considering it, but there's also the fact that longer routes are more prone to bus bunching.

 

That may be, but explain why I often find all five buses assigned to the 155 Devon running together in a pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know how many know this, but a hundred some years ago what is now West Towns was part of the CSL system (sort of). City cars ended at Pulaski, while suburban cars ran from Madison via Pulaski-Chicago-Harlem-Madison-Desplaines to cemeteries, Lake from Madison via Pulaski-Lake to 25th Ave, Roosevelt from Kenton via Roosevelt-Desplaines to Cemeteries, etc. This was split up and city cars extended to Austin when it was decided CSL could not run past city limits, and suburban lines became County Traction (later Evanston Rys and Chicago & West Towns Rys). A case could definitely be made for extending Madison, Roosevelt to Desplaines Av, even Chicago Av to Harlem. Austin is a very artificial terminal point based on politics, not travel patterns past or present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

A case could definitely be made for extending Madison, Roosevelt to Desplaines Av, even Chicago Av to Harlem. Austin is a very artificial terminal point based on politics, not travel patterns past or present.

Well, is CTA going to assume that cost in 2018?

There's also the issue of the funding formula being based on that political boundary. CTA gets 100% of the RTA sales tax within it, 50% without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 1:30 PM, strictures said:

That may be, but explain why I often find all five buses assigned to the 155 Devon running together in a pack.

Easy once the construction is done it won't be like that plus the streets a narrow its not like you can pass somebody on a tight devon street so that slows down the bus and at loyal its always a big crowd at the redline waiting for the #155 at the time accept late nights , plus between western and rockwell its a lot of store and a banquet hall god forbid if its a event the peoples a block the streets up until they are done than move so their goes the delays .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ochoa said:

Easy once the construction is done it won't be like that plus the streets a narrow its not like you can pass somebody on a tight devon street so that slows down the bus and at loyal its always a big crowd at the redline waiting for the #155 at the time accept late nights , plus between western and rockwell its a lot of store and a banquet hall god forbid if its a event the peoples a block the streets up until they are done than move so their goes the delays .

Sorry, but none of that is the reason, as I've seen that on an early Sunday morning, before the stores have even opened!

The problem is due to the total incompetence of the CTA bus controllers who aren't moving one or two of the bunched up buses to express ahead using Pratt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, strictures said:

Sorry, but none of that is the reason, as I've seen that on an early Sunday morning, before the stores have even opened!

The problem is due to the total incompetence of the CTA bus controllers who aren't moving one or two of the bunched up buses to express ahead using Pratt!

Pratt is even narrower than Devon. The bus would be lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×