MRChiCity

CTA ridership lost to ride share

3 hours ago, orionbuslover said:

So, CTA just needs to study and fully understand the rideshare market? Gotcha.

If that's what you take from it, fine, but as @andrethebusman and I implied, there doesn't seem to be much it can do with it with buses and trains to provide door to door service on demand.

The only way CTA (or any transit agency) could deal with this is to provide such service themselves. Only one I know that actually tried on a large scale was San Jose CA in the early 1970's, using almost 150 small buses. It was a fiscal disaster, and they soon went back to a traditional fixed route system with 30 some buses.

31 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

The only way CTA (or any transit agency) could deal with this is to provide such service themselves. Only one I know that actually tried on a large scale was San Jose CA in the early 1970's, using almost 150 small buses. It was a fiscal disaster, and they soon went back to a traditional fixed route system with 30 some buses.

That basically gets down to whether community transit works. RGRTA set up a similar service in Greece, N.Y. (a northwest suburb of Rochester) using converted GM recreational vehicles, but it fell apart in 1977, replaced by 2 fixed routes on I think was an hourly schedule.

On the Pace side, Call and Ride is in the Dial a Rude portion of the budget, but the line item for it shows projected revenue of $101,000 and expenses of $1.4 million, and a recovery ratio of 6.8% (page 16). While somewhat demand responsive, one still has to call at least an hour in advance. I suppose @garmon757 could tell us how Lyft response time compares. Pace justifies this by that it is the last mile it doesn't want to serve by bus (like it used to do in the Geneva-St. Charles, and Wheaton-Winfield areas), but CTA, with an approximately 60% recovery ratio requirement, can't afford to run something with about 9% of that.

Pace's online reservation system for Call-n-Rides is supposed to be implemented this year. It was mentioned in the budget that the system is expected to attract more younger riders. I'm willing to bet this was a response to the "rideshare market". Online reservations have been available for the Arlington Heights Call-n-ride for several months but ridership hasn't increased (RTAMS). However, technology upgrades including this one could allow for the creation of a Call-n-Ride which covers a larger area and uses multiple vehicles. I don't know if Pace has considered anything like that, but that would have more potential to "compete with" rideshare.

12 hours ago, Pace831 said:

However, technology upgrades including this one could allow for the creation of a Call-n-Ride which covers a larger area and uses multiple vehicles. I don't know if Pace has considered anything like that, but that would have more potential to "compete with" rideshare.

If you look at the page of the budget I cited above, the successful services (at least from a recovery ratio perspective) are those sponsored by someone else.Of course, in the case of Community Transit, Pace only provides a vehicle, but the county coordinated projects seem to be doing well. I bet there's not anything competing with them..

On 2/6/2018 at 1:01 PM, Busjack said:

I suppose @garmon757 could tell us how Lyft response time compares.

Are you asking how long it takes for Lyft to pick up a passenger?

1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

Are you asking how long it takes for Lyft to pick up a passenger?

Yes, how long it takes from when the potential passenger orders a ride on the app until the car shows up.

I was interested in comparing that to one has to call at least an hour in advance for Call and Ride on the flex portion of the route.

Lyft (or Uber for that matter) arrives from <1 to 20 minutes after ordering, usually 1 to 5 minutes in more popular areas, or 3 to 10 minutes in less ride-share dense areas. The request doesn't go through if there are no cars within 20 minutes(rare). Solution is to try again later, although the better solution is to keep trying as others are doing the same. Cars can free up anywhere whenever they drop off their previous passenger or are close to doing so - with a message stating that your driver will come to you after dropping off the previous passenger.