Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andrethebusman

Hammond Transit

Recommended Posts

HW&EC went bankrupt 8/17/29, purchased by one Morse DellPlain 12/31/29. DellPlain organized Calumet Rys (DellPlain president, Henry B Conkey Secretary) and transferred ownership to same 2/25/30, filed for abandonment 4/25/31. On 0522/31, sale of Calumet Rys, Shore Line Motor Coach Co, and Midwest Motor Coach Co to Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co (Walter J Cummings, president) approved by INPUC

Gary Rys Co sold rights in Hammond and East Chicago to Shore Line Motor Coach Co circa 04/29/26 (office 1085 Broadway, Gary). Also same date bought Farina's Bus Line and Transportation Co (Hammond-Chicago Heights) and BP Shearson (Michigan City to Long Beach). 26 buses from Gary Rys

09/28/27 SLMC applied for rights Muskegon to Chicago, then 6/24/29 Benton Harbor to Chicago

Midwest Motor Coach Co started 63rd/South Park to Gary 04/20/25. Originally an Illinois corporation, by 1928 owned by same interests as Shore Line Motor Coach

From IN PUC orders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, artthouwill said:

It certainly  crossed my mind that  those Huskie RTSs wound up in Hammond.  I didn't  know if ATC had a company wide numbering system or contract specific numbering system 

 

ATC numbered by year, 1000's would be from 1980. 1100's 1981, etc. VanDerAA numbered sequentially, school buses and transits, in order bought. ATC sold the RTS's to VanDerAA because they were considered too expensive to operate compared to either fishbowls or Gilligs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

HW&EC went bankrupt 8/17/29, purchased by one Morse DellPlain 12/31/29. DellPlain organized Calumet Rys (DellPlain president, Henry B Conkey Secretary) and transferred ownership to same 2/25/30, filed for abandonment 4/25/31. On 0522/31, sale of Calumet Rys, Shore Line Motor Coach Co, and Midwest Motor Coach Co to Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co (Walter J Cummings, president) approved by INPUC

Since this is the only reference relevant to my question, the only thing indicated is that Walter J. Cummings organized C&CD, also seems to have been running the Des Moines and Chicago and West Towns* systems, and took control of all Insull properties in the Lake County area, buying Gary later (Indianapolis Star, 1932, via newspapers.com) although his main business seems to be banking (head of the FDIC, and then Continental Illinois Bank, Hammond Times, 1934,via newspapers.com).

*via Google Books

However, since NCL seems to have started about 1939, that doesn't answer the question, which is essentially ownership betweeen 1939 and 1955.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1939-1955 both C&CDT and Gary Rys seem to have been run by one Henry P Bruner, later known for starting Kenosha Motor Coach and Racine Motor Coach to take over Milwaukee Electric. While KMCL and RMCL was in his own name, his involvement with C&CDT and Gary were apparently  as part of what was left of the Cummings interests. Bruner started his career with Insull's Midwest Utilities. He was also involved with Peoria in the same time frame. In 1956, C&CDT went to ATC, Peoria to NCL, and Gary to apparently local interests. Bruner would have been 45 at the time, but apparently decided he had enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

1939-1955 both C&CDT and Gary Rys seem to have been run by one Henry P Bruner, later known for starting Kenosha Motor Coach and Racine Motor Coach to take over Milwaukee Electric. While KMCL and RMCL was in his own name, his involvement with C&CDT and Gary were apparently  as part of what was left of the Cummings interests. Bruner started his career with Insull's Midwest Utilities. He was also involved with Peoria in the same time frame. In 1956, C&CDT went to ATC, Peoria to NCL, and Gary to apparently local interests. Bruner would have been 45 at the time, but apparently decided he had enough.

A Google book on Decline of Transit says that Bruner was surveying transit lines for NCL and GM. Other sources indicate that he was a consultant and didn't have the money to pull off all those acquisitions himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Busjack said:

A Google book on Decline of Transit says that Bruner was surveying transit lines for NCL and GM. Other sources indicate that he was a consultant and didn't have the money to pull off all those acquisitions himself.

Here is his obituary from the Tribune

Henry P. Bruner, 93, a former transportation consultant and executive and resident of Oak Park, died Monday in West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park. His 55-year career as a transportation executive in the Chicago area included owning bus and rail transportation companies in southeastern Wisconsin during the early 1940s. He served as president in the late 1950s of Gary Railways Inc., the Gary bus system, and of Greyhound Van Lines Inc., the household moving subsidiary of Greyhound Corp. He retired from those positions in the mid-1960s and operated a consulting business. Survivors include his wife, Katharine; five sons, Henry, Philip, Stephen, David and Robert; and nine grandchildren. A memorial service will be at 5 p.m. Saturday in Austin Boulevard Christian Church, 634 N. Austin Blvd., Oak Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

Here is his obituary from the Tribune

Henry P. Bruner, 93, a former transportation consultant and executive and resident of Oak Park, died Monday in West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park. His 55-year career as a transportation executive in the Chicago area included owning bus and rail transportation companies in southeastern Wisconsin during the early 1940s. He served as president in the late 1950s of Gary Railways Inc., the Gary bus system, and of Greyhound Van Lines Inc., the household moving subsidiary of Greyhound Corp. He retired from those positions in the mid-1960s and operated a consulting business. Survivors include his wife, Katharine; five sons, Henry, Philip, Stephen, David and Robert; and nine grandchildren. A memorial service will be at 5 p.m. Saturday in Austin Boulevard Christian Church, 634 N. Austin Blvd., Oak Park.

I had seen that, and noted it didn't mention Hammond, but maybe his family didn't find it noteworthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×