Sign in to follow this  
strictures

4 car Yellow Line train

I saw a 4 car train on the Swift last night around 7:30 PM.  Is this common when there's snow?  Or is it a rush hour operation I just never saw before?  I know that's the maximum train length at the Dempster platforms.  The train was almost empty when I saw it cross Main St.

13 minutes ago, strictures said:

I saw a 4 car train on the Swift last night around 7:30 PM.  Is this common when there's snow?  Or is it a rush hour operation I just never saw before?  I know that's the maximum train length at the Dempster platforms.  The train was almost empty when I saw it cross Main St.

There is stuff in the books about more wheels keep the tracks clear at crossings, but that was an articulated car, but maybe twice as many wheels are even better.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

There is stuff in the books about more wheels keep the tracks clear at crossings, but that was an articulated car, but maybe twice as many wheels are even better.

Plus if there's any issues with the motors and the snow or any icing issues you have a backup duece in case you should get stuck. Cars take a lot of abuse in the winter on the swift, you can see that just looking at the cars.

For snow operation and to keep more traction. 

The first 2 cars in the chosen direction are used in service due to limited 2 car berthing at the Skokie stations, especially at the Dempster terminal.

10 hours ago, Juniorz said:

For snow operation and to keep more traction. 

The first 2 cars in the chosen direction are used in service due to limited 2 car berthing at the Skokie stations, especially at the Dempster terminal.

Notwithstanding what @strictures said about the platform length, since the door controls are in the cabs, how can they control which cars are used, unless there was someone acting as the "conductor" in car 2 or 3?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Also assuming they use the same turn back track at Howard the Purple Line Shuttle uses. I think the Yellow Line turn back at Howard is only two cars long. 

Nothing restricts which track is used to turnback at Howard, other than where the tower directs it to.   In addition, the turnback at Dempster is also long enough for four cars & maybe five, as that's how long that Santa train is.  But I've never seen Santa at Dempster, so if it were too long for the turnback, there's the crossover between Searle & Main to send it to Track 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

All L cars have "isolation switches" where control of doors ends at that car. Does not affect propulsion, just door control.

I remember hearing that an operator overran the platform somewhere and they just cut out the front doors to mitigate the effects of their goof. Thanks for confirming those switches exist.

3 minutes ago, strictures said:

Nothing restricts which track is used to turnback at Howard, other than where the tower directs it to.   In addition, the turnback at Dempster is also long enough for four cars & maybe five, as that's how long that Santa train is.  But I've never seen Santa at Dempster, so if it were too long for the turnback, there's the crossover between Searle & Main to send it to Track 1.

Except that I was referring to the physical length of the turn back that the Yellow Line uses, which looks like it only holds 2 cars. The Purple Line shuttle turns back further south, where there is more track.

And the turn back at Skokie is 4 cars long. When the holiday train (it’s actually 7 cars long) is run on the Yellow Line they break up the train into two car sets. The flatcar isn’t used.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:03 AM, Busjack said:

Notwithstanding what @strictures said about the platform length, since the door controls are in the cabs, how can they control which cars are used, unless there was someone acting as the "conductor" in car 2 or 3?

On 2/11/2018 at 12:27 PM, andrethebusman said:

All L cars have "isolation switches" where control of doors ends at that car. Does not affect propulsion, just door control.

It's called a door cut out. You have to use the MUDC (Multiple Unit Door Control) key to lock the doors from the inside that are not berthed on the platform. This is standard for troubleshooting defective doors.

• Upvote 3