Bus Spring Pick 2018

renardo870

17 hours ago, Brandon93 said:

Well they did extend the #4 to 115th I have a feeling 103rd might have trips on Cottage Grove or send the whole route to 103rd, and send the 29 back 77th St since the garage is a couple of blocks away.

Not sure if 103rd has the resources for such a high demand 40 foot route. They are known as an artic heavy garage like np.  All those artics take space to garage. I'm surprised 103rd got the #29 cause usually the forty foot service there is on shorter routes like the wild 100s or 28. Or 15. 77th can store many 40 footers so they can gobble up routes like 3 or 4 or 79 that need a lot of buses. 79th can take 33 alone at max peak. 4 and 3 are probably doing that or more that's 100 buses on 3 routes.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Not sure if 103rd has the resources for such a high demand 40 foot route. They are known as an artic heavy garage like np.  All those artics take space to garage. I'm surprised 103rd got the #29 cause usually the forty foot service there is on shorter routes like the wild 100s or 28. Or 15. 77th can store many 40 footers so they can gobble up routes like 3 or 4 or 79 that need a lot of buses. 79th can take 33 alone at max peak. 4 and 3 are probably doing that or more that's 100 buses on 3 routes.

While I agree that the 29 should return to 77th, I wonder what effect that would have on 103rd operations.  Seemingly a lot of runs interline with 29 State now. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

While I agree that the 29 should return to 77th, I wonder what effect that would have on 103rd operations.  Seemingly a lot of runs interline with 29 State now. 

Besides that, it appears that it was last assigned to 103rd because that garage didn't have enough work as it was.

Basically, though, this thread should be reserved for actual schedule changes, rather than some other members' surmises.

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2018 at 3:28 PM, Busjack said:

Besides that, it appears that it was last assigned to 103rd because that garage didn't have enough work as it was.

Basically, though, this thread should be reserved for actual schedule changes, rather than some other members' surmises.

The reason why there isn’t enough work on State is because a lot of runs out of 103rd does a trip on State. I heard CTA wanted more senior operators on State and they wouldn’t pick it because there wasn’t enough money and CTA wouldn’t put more money on the runs on State so they figured they would put a trip on a half of a run. A full trip on State is somewhere btw 2 and 2 and a half hours round trip. 

44 minutes ago, Brandon93 said:

The reason why there isn’t enough work on State is because a lot of runs out of 103rd does a trip on State. I heard CTA wanted more senior operators on State and they wouldn’t pick it because there wasn’t enough money and CTA wouldn’t put more money on the runs on State so they figured they would put a trip on a half of a run. A full trip on State is somewhere btw 2 and 2 and a half hours round trip. 

I was only referring to why it was at 103rd instead of 77th. I said "that garage." Obviously, drivers not wanting it on the system pick wuuldn't make any difference in the garage allocation. The only thing mitigating against that allocation of routes to garages is the allocation @andrethebusman posted that only 77th is under design capacity. But in most cases. that's because 40% of the artics are just sitting around.

If you want to talk about why drivers don't pick some routes, 3 and 4 out of 77th aren't any shorter (95th to Downtown, and now 4 from 115th), and then there is 8 from 79th to about 3900 North.

1 hour ago, Brandon93 said:

That a result of cta not wanting joe the seniority king to drive the easy route all day. This is mainly why they started interlining.

• Upvote 1

Also reduces pay hours. When all runs on a street work only that street you inevitably have "pay for doing nothing" on some runs. Interlining is not new either. In the 1930's Broadway-State and 79th were interlined because one round on 36 was 6 hours and two was 12, and by having crews work half day on 36 and other half on 79 made most runs about 8 hours.

42 minutes ago, Brandon93 said:

With this system pick could the other side of 95th terminal opening soon could this play a role in why they had this system pick happened for buses? I know this could've played a role for the system pick for rail.

Don't they have to have a system pick every so often anyway?

The only thing opening part of the bus terminal might affect is dwell time.

It seems that a few changes for the spring pick are additional services on 77 Belmont between Halsted and Belmont/Kimball Blue Line using longer buses from Kedzie* or North Park* to help with overcrowding on Belmont in the PM Rush.

62 Archer Owl service changed Monday-Friday and Saturday between the Loop and Midway Orange Line due to Orange Line running earlier on those days at 330a and 4am, respectively. 

152 Addison earlier Sunday service 1st EB bus leaving Addison/Central @709am going to Waveland and 1st WB leaving Waveland/Lake Shore @747am going to Cumberland.

20180324_054709.png

Edited by renardo870
Modify a sentence and add info
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, renardo870 said:

It seems that a few changes for the spring pick are additional services on 77 Belmont between Halsted and Belmont/Kimball Blue Line using longer buses from Kedzie* or North Park* to help with overcrowding on Belmont in the PM Rush.

62 Archer Owl service changed Monday-Friday and Saturday between the Loop and Midway Orange Line due to Orange Line running earlier on those days at 330a and 4am, respectively. 

152 Addison earlier Sunday service 1st EB bus leaving Addison/Central @709am going to Waveland and 1st WB leaving Waveland/Lake Shore @747am going to Cumbeland.

You sure that's for this pick?  Cause the schedules don't reflect that.  The 77 schedule only reflects Kimball to Lake Shore,  62 I'm on the fence about cause I'd have to go through with more of a fine toothed comb

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-21-30.png

6 hours ago, Sam92 said:

You sure that's for this pick?  Cause the schedules don't reflect that.  The 77 schedule only reflects Kimball to Lake Shore,  62 I'm on the fence about cause I'd have to go through with more of a fine toothed comb

Screenshot_2018-03-24-09-21-30.png

He's at least correct about the 62 owl service. CTA posted a service change notice under the weekday service changes page mentioning the change of last N62s to the first regular trips on the route weekdays and Saturdays with a note to use the Orange Line as alternate service and accompanying mention that the Orange Line now starts earlier on those days. As for the 77, those extra trips are on the EB service during midday through the early part of the PM rush and on the WB side during AM rush from the looks of it.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jajuan said:

He's at least correct about the 62 owl service. CTA posted a service change notice under the weekday service changes page mentioning the change of last N62s to the first regular trips on the route weekdays and Saturdays with a note to use the Orange Line as alternate service and accompanying mention that the Orange Line now starts earlier on those days. As for the 77, those extra trips are on the EB service during midday through the early part of the PM rush and on the WB side during AM rush from the looks of it.

Which leads me to  believe the buses are from Kedzie garage interlining with 134, 143, 151, and or 156 trips which start/end at Belmont/Halsted.  I don't know how much this  helps overcrowding  on the 77 WEST of Kimball.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, ethan2226 said:

Sending the #206 to North Park when the #205 is eliminated.

Not happening this pick. Pace  hasn't  even scheduled  this for board action and its site says the  start of implementation  is late this year.

Also, as @jajuan implies, an alert would have  to have been posted.

And I doubt what you  say is happening at all 

On 3/24/2018 at 6:07 AM, renardo870 said:

152 Addison earlier Sunday service 1st EB bus leaving Addison/Central @709am going to Waveland and 1st WB leaving Waveland/Lake Shore @747am going to Cumberland.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:07 AM, renardo870 said:

20180324_054709.png

looks like 77 Belmont will be using artics from Kedzie

4 hours ago, renardo870 said:

looks like 77 Belmont will be using artics from Kedzie

What supports that is that the trips start at Halsted instead of LSD/Diversey, so are undoubtedly 156s. Strangely, though, the March 25, 2018 schedule brochure does not show any non-owl trips starting at Halsted. Since some of these buses were sent back downtown from Sheridan/Belmont,the next bit of detective work is what is substituting for the next trip from downtown. (reconsidered based on the below posts)

The "longer" buses test our thesis of about 5 years ago that Belmont could use them, but given failures on 79 and 66, we'll have to see.

41 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Probably those are the pullins doing an extra trip. CTA could save tons of money running some of these long pullins in service longer. Come on a #8 pullin is traveling over 10 miles. Your telling me it couldn't  run some extra #3 service?

That's exactly what these Kedzie runs will be doing. Previously these #156 pull-ins ran via Belmont-Western-Van Buren, I guess they will now use Kimball-Homan as their pull-in route. The added time to these runs makes me think these are part-time/tripper runs (but I could be wrong)

I think those long deadheads (like an #8 deadheading from Waveland to 77th) have to do more with a bus operator not going over their drive time. For example, if a full-time operator on the #8 has been behind the wheel for 9 1/2 hours and he is on the north end of the route he will most likely deadhead direct to 77th. Maybe Andre or Busjack can shed more light...

1 hour ago, jesi2282 said:

That's exactly what these Kedzie runs will be doing. Previously these #156 pull-ins ran via Belmont-Western-Van Buren, I guess they will now use Kimball-Homan as their pull-in route.

In that the Alert says they end at the Blue Line, that appears correct. Since the garage is on Kezie, it makes little difference.

1 hour ago, jesi2282 said:

I think those long deadheads (like an #8 deadheading from Waveland to 77th) have to do more with a bus operator not going over their drive time.

Of course, rush hour, they now have their layovers at Goose Island.