Sam92

Supplementary 5000s on Blue next pick

Soooo I've seen from a decent source that Blue Line is possibly getting 2 AM trips between Jeff Park and Racine using Pink Link equipment possibly next pick.  Check rail schedules. ;)

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Soooo I've seen from a decent source that Blue Line is possibly getting 2 AM trips between Jeff Park and Racine using Pink Link equipment possibly next pick.  Check rail schedules. ;)

I believe they  2 extra trips, but question that the equipment is  coming from the  Pink Line.  

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I believe they  2 extra trips, but question that the equipment is  coming from the  Pink Line.  

Runs 320 and 321. They run lite to Racine and start

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Runs 320 and 321. They run lite to Racine and start

Wonder if they will be Pinks or Blue, like some of the Reds to Ashland/63.  Could it be similar to when the Pink Line first started with rush hour Blues still running.  You would have 2 Blues to Jefferson  Park then 2 Blues back to 54/Cermak. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Wonder if they will be Pinks or Blue, like some of the Reds to Ashland/63.  Could it be similar to when the Pink Line first started with rush hour Blues still running.  You would have 2 Blues to Jefferson  Park then 2 Blues back to 54/Cermak. 

Nah.  Basically deadheads from what I'm hearing. Out of service 54Th to Polk then down the incline and inservice from there

3 extra trains will be running on the Blue from Pink between Racine and Jefferson Park using Pink’s 5000s all 8-car sets. 320, 321, and 322 are the run numbers and they’ll debut this Monday. Stay tuned.

• Thanks 3

Wow, the transit heavyweights around here claim they need to have operator and equipment qualified sets on new lines. Blue line must really be short cars. Last count was 50 down. That would be the only reason I see blue line getting new cars. This would sort of flow against anything that was stated so far but if you're  short your short. Lol!!!!

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Wow, the transit heavyweights around here claim they need to have operator and equipment qualified sets on new lines. Blue line must really be short cars. Last count was 50 down. That would be the only reason I see blue line getting new cars. This would sort of flow against anything that was stated so far but if you're  short your short. Lol!!!!

We are extremely short thanks to an overwhelming amount of defects and it’s getting to the point that our operators, switchmen, and supervisors are having adverse reactions about them. The 3200s infiltration is nothing but a band-aid solution thanks to the fact that the Blue Line is heavily neglected, especially on the Congress Branch (You see that they will never dare to run 5000s west of Racine).

41 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

We are extremely short thanks to an overwhelming amount of defects and it’s getting to the point that our operators, switchmen, and supervisors are having adverse reactions about them. The 3200s infiltration is nothing but a band-aid solution thanks to the fact that the Blue Line is heavily neglected, especially on the Congress Branch (You see that they will never dare to run 5000s west of Racine).

Well they are not going to O'Hare or Rosemont either. Wouldn't want anyone coupling to 5000 series cars do we lol. But check this out. Blue line could potentially have 2600s, 3200s, and 5000s. Running 2600 and 5000s together might be ok but running 3200s and 5000s together might prove challenging. Can all personnel tell the difference? 

You don't think they could station 2600s at 54th just for the purpose of running blue line extras. They have the space and can actually do that. It would make better sense but 54th personnel would be in the same boat as blue line if the coin was flipped. 

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well they are not going to O'Hare or Rosemont either. Wouldn't want anyone coupling to 5000 series cars do we lol. But check this out. Blue line could potentially have 2600s, 3200s, and 5000s. Running 2600 and 5000s together might be ok but running 3200s and 5000s together might prove challenging. Can all personnel tell the difference? 

Or just add more 5000s to 54/Cerak and return all 54/Cermak  services to the Blue Line.

4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

3 extra trains will be running on the Blue from Pink between Racine and Jefferson Park using Pink’s 5000s all 8-car sets. 320, 321, and 322 are the run numbers and they’ll debut this Monday. Stay tuned.

Only a.m rush service,?  Very few Blue Liners will get to experience the 5000s.  You're  going to need  those 3200s quickly though.  Even if it  is just a bandage. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Or just add more 5000s to 54/Cerak and return all 54/Cermak  services to the Blue Line.

What is the basis for this? Do you not approve of the pink line?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

What is the basis for this? Do you not approve of the pink line?

It's  not that I don't  approve of the  Pink Line.  Depending on  how dire the situation  gets with the 2600s. CTA will have to do something.  They  may be forced to  have mixed series on more than one line. I only threw out the Blue Line 54/Cermak statement  as an option. 

5 hours ago, garmon757 said:

The 3200s infiltration is nothing but a band-aid solution thanks to the fact that the Blue Line is heavily neglected, especially on the Congress Branch (You see that they will never dare to run 5000s west of Racine).

I know you noted that before, but the official excuse is that the Milwaukee substation has to be remodeled. I guess that in a pinch, 6 trains (3 each way) isn't, say, 40.

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

There going to have to add something to 54th anyway unless they have 24 cars to just give away in the morning. Seems kind of senseless when you are down cars to just pull out 24 more cars. Wouldn't that put an added burden on the already fragile situation? I'm sorry but if things are really that bad it's time for purple to go 2600. Having all those new cars sitting all but 40 hrs a week makes no sense. The 2600s need a rest, what better place to send them. 

19 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

There going to have to add something to 54th anyway unless they have 24 cars to just give away in the morning. Seems kind of senseless when you are down cars to just pull out 24 more cars. Wouldn't that put an added burden on the already fragile situation? I'm sorry but if things are really that bad it's time for purple to go 2600. Having all those new cars sitting all but 40 hrs a week makes no sense. The 2600s need a rest, what better place to send them. 

I understand  Purple having 5000s in the sense that the the cars ar interchangeable to use on the Red and Yellow Lines.  Cars can get heavy use on Red and rest on Yellow and  Purple  Lines.  If the 2600s are unreliable  on Blue, they'll be  unreliable on Purple.  And a disabled Purple could affect Rd and Brown Line service or Pink, Orange, Green, and Brown Line service in the Loop.  The first and obvious place to look for 5000s is the Pink and Green Lines.   Then the next place would be the Red/-Purple Combo.

9 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Anything being done to fix the defects? Maybe now that the 3200 rehabs are wrapping up they can start pulling them to Skokie for more extensive work?

15 hours ago, BusHunter said:

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I understand  Purple having 5000s in the sense that the the cars ar interchangeable to use on the Red and Yellow Lines.  Cars can get heavy use on Red and rest on Yellow and  Purple  Lines.  If the 2600s are unreliable  on Blue, they'll be  unreliable on Purple.  And a disabled Purple could affect Rd and Brown Line service or Pink, Orange, Green, and Brown Line service in the Loop.  The first and obvious place to look for 5000s is the Pink and Green Lines.   Then the next place would be the Red/-Purple Combo.

You guys are assuming that all 714 cars are needed on Pink, Green, Red, Purple, and Yellow, when there was growth of about about 180 cars while the 5000s were delivered. Car demand may have gone up when additional service was added to the Red Line, but not to that extent.

At the moment, it must not be the peak of rush hour, as a Red Line train is on the Green Line,but Train Tracker indicates the following:

Line		Trains	Est. Cars
Red		32		256
Purple		10		 60
Yellow		 3		  6 (not on tracker; must be running on manual)
Green		17		102
Pink		 8		 32

Even if ghosts or not peak, still short of 714.

54th has the capacity for 108 cars, and up to now has had something like 44 to 50 assigned to it. Another 24 is no big deal.

So who is going to give them 24 cars and how does that affect service when 50 cars are down on blue. If this really was no problem they wouldn't be in this situation to start out. Lol!!

24 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So who is going to give them 24 cars and how does that affect service when 50 cars are down on blue. If this really was no problem they wouldn't be in this situation to start out. Lol!!

Look at the math above, and figure out where there are maybe about 160 underutlized 5000 series cars.

I expect you to stand on the platform at UIC (or any station to Jeff Park) and report the fleet numbers.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

You guys are assuming that all 714 cars are needed on Pink, Green, Red, Purple, and Yellow, when there was growth of about about 180 cars while the 5000s were delivered. Car demand may have gone up when additional service was added to the Red Line, but not to that extent.

At the moment, it must not be the peak of rush hour, as a Red Line train is on the Green Line,but Train Tracker indicates the following:

Line		Trains	Est. Cars
Red			32		256
Purple		10		 60
Green		17		102
Pink		 8		 32

54th has the capacity for 108 cars, and up to now has had something like 44 to 50 assigned to it. Another 24 is no big deal.

They csn use 24 cars from the Green Line since they interchange with the Pink Line. The last car report stated Pink has 50 cars 5001-5050 & Green has 152 cars 5051-5202 

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Line		Trains	Est. Cars
Red		32		256
Purple		10		 60
Green		17		102
Pink		 8		 32

To be honest, most of these unused cars have to be located at Howard.  Giving 54th Av a few of those shouldn't be a big deal. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Look at the math above, and figure out where there are maybe about 160 underutlized 5000 series cars.

I expect you to stand on the platform at UIC (or any station to Jeff Park) and report the fleet numbers.

That's really insane though. You have all these spare cars and blue line is short? Cause of consolidation??? What has that got them. They are going to have a mixed fleet of 3 different cars. What have they gained? I'm still skeptical that blue line will not just pick up more 2600s via pink line. 5000s on blue really. Someone better take a picture cause I just don't believe it. 

All this time they are running up miles on 2600s and 5000s are laid up in the yard... go figure.

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

Line		Trains	Est. Cars
Red		32		256
Purple		10		 60
Green		17		102
Pink		 8		 32

I think  you  misunderstood my post.  He was questioning why 2600s shouldn't be  on the Purple.  My only comment was the  reason  they have 5000sis for interchangebility.  I stated you could pull cars from the Green and then the Red/Purple  to use on the zPink/Blue .  You could assign some 5000s yo Blueif the 2600s get very bad (think 6000 Flxbles bad).