Sam92

Supplementary 5000s on Blue next pick

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

That's really insane though. You have all these spare cars and blue line is short? Cause of consolidation??? What has that got them. They are going to have a mixed fleet of 3 different cars. What have they gained? I'm still skeptical that blue line will not just pick up more 2600s via pink line. 5000s on blue really. Someone better take a picture cause I just don't believe it. 

All this time they are running up miles on 2600s and 5000s are laid up in the yard... go figure.

The monkey wrench was probably the issue of 5000s taxing the power system. Maybe they're trying to figure how to spread out the new equipment without messing that aspect up.  It's a real tough balancing act they've dug themselves into for sure when you factor in roller curtain issues when moving equipment and how isolated the blue is from the rest of the system. To be honest if anything, orange seems to do good with maintenance plus they cut car lengths more often.  If Kimball is similar then maybe ALL 3200s should be traded to blue,  any remaining 2600s on blue would only come out as needed (as done with FG Novas)  while the 3200s and the Douglas runs do the heavy lifting.  Can't do much else until the blue gets it's infrastructure in shape

One thing I do question about this supposed interchanging at Howard with R/P/Y is that Purple pretty much only reserves 5400s.  

8 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

One thing I do question about this supposed interchanging at Howard with R/P/Y is that Purple pretty much only reserves 5400s.  

Might be what's stored at  Linden vs Howard.

I'm still skeptical that blue line will not just pick up more 2600s via pink line. 5000s on blue really. Someone better take a picture cause I just don't believe it. 

I don't get where you are coming from. The only thing officially assigned to 54th are 50 5000s. If there are any 2600s there (and I'm sure you could post a picture  of them) they are probably laid up defects (as @garmon757 implied). Do you really want passengers to ride something like the runaway 3100s at Forest Park-Harlem?

Otherwise, @artthouwill seems to summarize the situation.

27 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

.  If Kimball is similar then maybe ALL 3200s should be traded to blue,  any remaining 2600s on blue would only come out as needed (as done with FG Novas)  while the 3200s and the Douglas runs do the heavy lifting. 

Essentially what I said would happen, plus the CT Board just approved a contract for parts to overhaul 90 or so 2600s.

20 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Essentially what I said would happen, plus the CT Board just approved a contract for parts to overhaul 90 or so 2600s.

Yeah only thing with that is that official word is 100 so far 

On 9/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, artthouwill said:

Only a.m rush service,?  Very few Blue Liners will get to experience the 5000s.  You're  going to need  those 3200s quickly though.  Even if it  is just a bandage. 

So far, it's during AM service but yes I do agree with you about the 3200s.

I think we're getting too carry away about this topic. Regardless of the 5000 count guys, the Blue Line is going to have 24 of them infiltrate the route and a friendly reminder that Green/Pink shares about 210 5000s. So it doesn't matter to the Blue Line at all. Carry on. By the way, only 2600s that ends with a 9 are permitted at 54th Yard.

• Upvote 1

As speaking of 3200s, I was getting off the Blue at Forest Park last night and I did spot an 8-Car of 3200 sitting at a yard so my guess is that 3200s maybe slowly welcome to the Blue Line soon, I wasn't sure of if which line they are come from or could me as a trade in with 2600s for Orange.  

11 minutes ago, qwantae said:

As speaking of 3200s, I was getting off the Blue at Forest Park last night and I did spot an 8-Car of 3200 sitting at a yard so my guess is that 3200s maybe slowly welcome to the Blue Line soon, I wasn't sure of if which line they are come from or could me as a trade in with 2600s for Orange.  

Transferred from Orange Line.

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

I think we're getting too carry away about this topic. Regardless of the 5000 count guys, the Blue Line is going to have 24 of them infiltrate the route and a friendly reminder that Green/Pink shares about 210 5000s. So it doesn't matter to the Blue Line at all. Carry on. By the way, only 2600s that ends with a 9 are permitted at 54th Yard.

Why only 2600s that end with "9"?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sam92 said:

22 hours ago, Busjack said:

Might be what's stored at  Linden vs Howard.

I walked by, and it turned out it was the case,  but not as much as one would think. At noon, there were  6 trains at the south end of the Linden yard, and the visible numbers were in the 5400s, including 5419 and 5449-5450. Also, 5400s on the 4 car shuttle.

22 hours ago, Busjack said:

I don't get where you are coming from. The only thing officially assigned to 54th are 50 5000s. If there are any 2600s there (and I'm sure you could post a picture  of them) they are probably laid up defects (as @garmon757 implied). Do you really want passengers to ride something like the runaway 3100s at Forest Park-Harlem?

Otherwise, @artthouwill seems to summarize the situation.

Yeah but basically that's what blue line has been using 2600s and each car can be a potential suspect this is why they disable the trains at the yard. That incident wasn't supposed to affect the public way but when it entered the right of way it did just that. If something does happen again it needs to be contained to the yard. 

@Garmon. You know Garmon there are 24 cars that end with 9 LOL. Did your source say the word 5000s?

22 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Why only 2600s that end with "9"?

There’s a theory from some switchmens and supervisors that any 2600s that ends with a 9 are considered to have the best motors than the rest of them. So they use them as work cars and sometimes they’re coupled with the work 2400s. 

Looks like the transfer of additional cars took place last night.   So far, I've spotted up to 5211-5212 on the Pink/Green Lines today.  

On 9/11/2018 at 9:46 AM, garmon757 said:

3 extra trains will be running on the Blue from Pink between Racine and Jefferson Park using Pink’s 5000s all 8-car sets. 320, 321, and 322 are the run numbers and they’ll debut this Monday. Stay tuned.

Looking at  chicago-l.org, 300s are 54th yard run numbers, so administratively, they will be Pink Line, although they will be in service on the Blue Line.

And, from what @chgofan78 said, the transfers are from the Red Line, again as predicted.

6 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Do we have paddles for those particular trippers?

Leaving at 7:11 and 7:26 from Racine.  I don't see the return trip in the schedule. Just every 3 min from Ohare or Rosemont to UIC or Forest Park from the Inbound side but we know they're coming from Jeff instead

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Leaving at 7:11 and 7:26 from Racine.  I don't see the return trip in the schedule. Just every 3 min from Ohare or Rosemont to UIC or Forest Park from the Inbound side but we know they're coming from Jeff instead

Technically, this is the posted schedule effective Sept. 16, not the "paddle" (which is the internal schedule).

Interestingly, the Pink Line does not have a new schedule, so these run express to Racine, and these trips are before when UIC trips started northbound on the schedule in effect through today.

Blue Line before Sept 16.pdf

58 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Technically, this is the posted schedule effective Sept. 16, not the "paddle" (which is the internal schedule).

Interestingly, the Pink Line does not have a new schedule, so these run express to Racine, and these trips are before when UIC trips started northbound on the schedule in effect through today.

Blue Line before Sept 16.pdf

Good Question is where are the 5000’s going to stop at during the Jefferson park Renovation when O’Hare trains don’t stop there starting September 28

5205/06 - 5209/10 - 5211/12 - 5213/14 - 5215/16 - 5219/20 - 5221/22 - 5225-26 are the 16 cars for Jefferson Park. I thought they said three runs, but it’s only two. 

9F76A847-B38B-4DA1-A89E-00148E61CE9B.jpeg

E4E08836-1194-4929-B736-C2A07E7FAF87.jpeg

A507AF1D-E676-42A6-8C3B-A58E37C818AC.jpeg

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

5205/06 - 5209/10 - 5211/12 - 5213/14 - 5215/16 - 5219/20 - 5221/22 - 5225-26 are the 16 cars for Jefferson Park. I thought they said three runs, but it’s only two. 

9F76A847-B38B-4DA1-A89E-00148E61CE9B.jpeg

E4E08836-1194-4929-B736-C2A07E7FAF87.jpeg

A507AF1D-E676-42A6-8C3B-A58E37C818AC.jpeg

320 321=2 Morning Trips 

322 will depart Racine at 5:01pm toward Jeff park and then from Jeff park go back SB to Racine and deadhead from Racine to 54th according to a chat on the Facebook “Chicago L” Group

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

320 321=2 Morning Trips 

322 will depart Racine at 5:01pm toward Jeff park and then from Jeff park go back SB to Racine and deadhead from Racine to 54th according to a chat on the Facebook “Chicago L” Group

Alright now I really need to see a doctor LOL!! I'm surprised. But the power issue is unaffected?

Alright now I really need to see a doctor LOL!! I'm surprised. But the power issue is unaffected?

It may be an issue that 4 trains (2 each way, 17 minutes apart) can get through, but maybe 30 trains during a rush hour can't.

Might be similar to the original Richmond VA test that the voltage dropped so low on 22 streetcars that they could only barely get going until they spread out, except here we're dealing with electronic components.

But the July 2018 Constriction Report for the ELMI Substation project says substantial completion in March 2020. The East Lake part of that project indicates that there is also a power issue on the Loop, but Pink and Green Line trains get through.