Sam92

Supplementary 5000s on Blue next pick

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

There were a couple of complainers saying the Northwest Side of the city was the dumping ground for running the oldest CTA equipment,  be it bus or rail.  Along those line, CTA 5750 thinks CTA will send hand me downs 5000s to the Blue rather than new 7000s when they eventually arrive.  There's no  basis for any of those claims, but for some, perception is  reality.

Oh, the old Forest Glen graveyard topic?

11 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

I’ll just bet the 5000s will make their way to the Blue Line When the 7000s arrive. The Red line of course will as always get first crack!  The Red lines 5000s will be shipped over to the Blue.  I don’t see the Blue line getting 7000s. CTA doesn’t give the Blue line the attention it so badly needs! 

I thought they were really nuts when they didn't do blue and red 5000s. Hello, what happens when you put old junk on a 24/7 line? I just got to see the CTA solution if the bandaid 3200s doesn't help. Blue line maintenance needs a pat on the back to keep them going this long. But when the cars are old they fail. Remember the 2400s running the green purple? At least they got a break. Green doesn't do 8 car trains. Blue line does and the hours of 8 hour train service are long. While you may get away with some old cars you cant run them exclusively. This is where consolidation bites you in your buster browns. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:40 AM, CTA5750 said:

I’ll just bet the 5000s will make their way to the Blue Line When the 7000s arrive. The Red line of course will as always get first crack!  The Red lines 5000s will be shipped over to the Blue.  I don’t see the Blue line getting 7000s. CTA doesn’t give the Blue line the attention it so badly needs! 

Have you forgotten that the 5000s infiltrated the Pink Line first after the test runs on all lines?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Have you forgotten that the 5000s infiltrated the Pink Line first after the test runs on all lines?

What is truth compared to "Woe is the Northwest Side, we don't get new equipment" mantra? "Those South Siders ALWAYS get new equipment"

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

What is truth compared to "Woe is the Northwest Side, we don't get new equipment" mantra? "Those South Siders ALWAYS get new equipment"

I'd say middle child is more like it.  Not too old not too new or either a mix of old and new.  I'd say it's more north park and Chicago looking at fleet assignments 

8 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I'd say middle child is more like it.  Not too old not too new or either a mix of old and new.  I'd say it's more north park and Chicago looking at fleet assignments 

True.  But the complaint is also about the rail equipment. 

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Which on a single line is on both the northwest and west sides.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Which on a single line is on both the northwest and west sides.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

That's  been  mentioned before,  and ignored.   

My reply is still valid considering they claim "all the new stuff is going south". Imma nail the coffin with the cited issue of,  if blue line was better maintained as far as track bed or power then maybe the shoe would be on the other foot cause essentially we can say red would have been in the same boat considering it JUST got the upgrades it really needs to handle the demand it's carrying within the last decade.  

8 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

My reply is still valid considering they claim "all the new stuff is going south". Imma nail the coffin with the cited issue of,  if blue line was better maintained as far as track bed or power then maybe the shoe would be on the other foot cause essentially we can say red would have been in the same boat considering it JUST got the upgrades it really needs to handle the demand it's carrying within the last decade.  

Your reply is valid.  There are a couple of posters frustrated that the Blue Line was equipped  with 2600s exclusively.   That and FG being exclusively 6400s, until the 8300 numbered Novas started  arriving sent them into a tizzy about the NW side neglect and the Red Line getting new equipment was politically motivated.  Translation is the south side gets the new stuff first.  Never mind that most rail lines cover multiple neighborhoods.  Never mind that two of the south side garages have routes that cover the north side.  It's a punish the NW Side conspiracy.  

I say be glad for whatever  equipment that comes to replace the 2600s, the 3200s and 2 sets of 5000s.  They run and have good a/c.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Your reply is valid.  There are a couple of posters frustrated that the Blue Line was equipped  with 2600s exclusively.   That and FG being exclusively 6400s, until the 8300 numbered Novas started  arriving sent them into a tizzy about the NW side neglect and the Red Line getting new equipment was politically motivated.  Translation is the south side gets the new stuff first.  Never mind that most rail lines cover multiple neighborhoods.  Never mind that two of the south side garages have routes that cover the north side.  It's a punish the NW Side conspiracy.  

I say be glad for whatever  equipment that comes to replace the 2600s, the 3200s and 2 sets of 5000s.  They run and have good a/c.

In reality orange and brown now fit the oldest equipment bill 😂😂 heck even as far as south side 2012 would probably be the first time we realistically got first dibs and that was mainly more due to 4300s being sent straight to red line rebuild service,  7900s being tested at 77th (note just like with the previous novas we have the oldest 7900s)  103rd usually keeping mid range artics and of course blue not being capable of running 5000s.  We could easily be the ones stuck with 2600s if "a more vibrant red" didn't upgrade signals,  power and traction in 2005-2007🤷 everywhere in the system has been shafted at some point from what I look at.  It's as balanced as situations allow if people wait for cta to come with explanations such as what we finally got at some point about WHY the 5000s having been seen on the blue (3200s might be sucking up a bit more power as well with rehabs so that might be why they didn't send all 3200s) 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Sam92 said:

🤷 everywhere in the system has been shafted at some point from what I look at.  It's as balanced as situations allow if people wait for cta to come with explanations such as what we finally got at some point about WHY the 5000s having been seen on the blue

Hear hear! :D

16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

At 7:10 this morning, I saw Run 320, led by 5205, waiting g.d near the bottom of the Loomis incline.

I caught run #321 on Tuesday at Racine.  Took it to Clark/Lake.

20180925_072707.jpg

20180925_073700.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 5:47 AM, Aiden Tabucic said:

Here is the real question where are these 5000’s going to stop at when O’Hare Trains don’t stop at Jefferson Park Either Tonight Or Monday Morning 

https://www.transitchicago.com/travel-information/alert-detail/?AlertId=51908

Good question. I would guess that if the NB closure of Jefferson Park is due to platform reconstruction and not track work, then the 5000 runs would go NB from Racine to Montrose, use the turn around track after Jefferson Park, and continue their SB run from Jefferson Park to Racine. 3 weeks from later when the other side of the Jefferson Park platform gets closed, starting the SB run from Montrose.

EDIT: Passengers exit at Montrose, I was just referring to equipment movement above. Revenue use is Racine to Montrose NB, and Jefferson Park to Racine SB.

There’s probably a better idea than this since it involves non revenue tracks, but after leaving Montrose they could have the train pull into the siding after passing the northbound platform at Jefferson Park, the operator quickly switches ends, and have the train line up and pull into the southbound track at Jefferson Park for boarding and exiting.

7 minutes ago, jtrosario said:

Good question. I would guess that if the NB closure of Jefferson Park is due to platform reconstruction and not track work, then the 5000 runs would go NB from Racine to Montrose, use the turn around track after Jefferson Park, and continue their SB run from Jefferson Park to Racine. 3 weeks from later when the other side of the Jefferson Park platform gets closed, starting the SB run from Montrose.

It is due to platform reconstruction but we will wait until Monday or tonight CTA Keeps changing the dates 

43 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

There’s probably a better idea than this since it involves non revenue tracks, but after leaving Montrose they could have the train pull into the siding after passing the northbound platform at Jefferson Park, the operator quickly switches ends, and have the train line up and pull into the southbound track at Jefferson Park for boarding and exiting.

Nah that's too much complicating movement and it will be an inconvenience.  It's best to terminate at Montrose and start at Jeff Pk.

9 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Nah that's too much complicating movement and it will be an inconvenience.  It's best to terminate at Montrose and start at Jeff Pk.

You two are suggesting the same idea though 

11 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

You mean end at Montrose and then go to the foster middle track and start a Jeff park and make its way back south to Racine 

15 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

You mean end at Montrose and then go to the foster middle track and start a Jeff park and make its way back south to Racine 

Yes, that's my suggestion.  The other guy was talking about turning around at Foster while the passengers were still on board

Spotted a 4-car consist consisting of 5000 Series railcars, & now I'm a believer cause I also spotted an 8-car consist featuring the rehabbed 3200 Series railcars as they were Forest Park bound. The 5000 Series railcars were not in service as they came down the incline.