Sign in to follow this  
Tcmetro

Pace 2019 Budget

I've finally had a chance to look through the new budget. Some interesting things I noticed:

• Web/app-based call-and-ride reservations
  • New/updated Ventra app
  • ADA will take Ventra
  • Third Pulse project looks like it will be 95th, entering the project definition phase
  • Future restructurings will be larger scale than the previous sub-regional efforts
  • New park and ride in Burr Ridge
  • Joliet express bus study
  • New website in 2019
  • Transit Signal Priority expansion to 10 more corridors (159th, Sibley, Roosevelt, Cicero, 95th, Grand-Lake Co, Dempster, Cermak, I-90, Halsted)
  • The service cuts are explained as offsetting recent service improvements and Milwaukee Pulse, so perhaps the public hearing notice note about service being reinvested was a little misleading

29 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

I've finally had a chance to look through the new budget. Some interesting things I noticed:

• New/updated Ventra app
  • ADA will take Ventra
  • Third Pulse project looks like it will be 95th, entering the project definition phase
  • Future restructurings will be larger scale than the previous sub-regional efforts
  • New website in 2019
  • Transit Signal Priority expansion to 10 more corridors (159th, Sibley, Roosevelt, Cicero, 95th, Grand-Lake Co, Dempster, Cermak, I-90, Halsted)
  • The service cuts are explained as offsetting recent service improvements and Milwaukee Pulse, so perhaps the public hearing notice note about service being reinvested was a little misleading

A lot of that stuff isn't new (i.e.the web based call and ride reservation system already exists), although while the rationale for the service cuts might be, I only took it as that there were $1.2 million in cuts to offset $1.7 million in new expenses. I really doubt that Milwaukee Pulse is the cause, because it is offset by cutting 270 to once an hour and cutting off Allstate, probably is CMAQ money,anyway, and it should run more efficiently than the existing 270.

Most of the studies (certainly the Joliet Express one) were undefined.

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

• New/updated Ventra app
  • ADA will take Ventra
  • New website in 2019
  • 95th up next leaves Cermak and Halsted for the last of the near term projects.
  • TSP corridors line up with the most-used routes, so I guess that was to be expected.
  • For Burr Ridge, is it actually going to be a completely new one or just an expansion? The pdf doesn't specify.
  • The Joliet Express Bus study will be interesting. I feel with all the current service, both Metra and Pace, anything new that doesn't also come with a park & ride would be duplicative, but I'm happy to be wrong.
  • In terms of peer comparisons, I'd say Pace set themselves up comparing themselves to LI Bus, seeing as they are functionally two separate bus systems (NICE and ST)

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The Joliet Express Bus study will be interesting. I feel with all the current service, both Metra and Pace, anything new that doesn't also come with a park & ride would be duplicative, but I'm happy to be wrong.

Not necessarily. If downtown Chicago commuters were the only intended market, I would agree with this, but we don't know any particulars of what will be studied yet. They could, for example, create an express route from Joliet to west suburban office centers (although a few previous attempts failed). There is also potential for reverse commute buses to the Joliet area, similar to 361 or 754.

I also noticed that $600,000 is allocated for an "Orland Square Mall Passenger Facility", probably planned to be something like the CTA terminal at Ford City.

5 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Not necessarily. If downtown Chicago commuters were the only intended market, I would agree with this, but we don't know any particulars of what will be studied yet. They could, for example, create an express route from Joliet to west suburban office centers (although a few previous attempts failed). There is also potential for reverse commute buses to the Joliet area, similar to 361 or 754.

I also noticed that $600,000 is allocated for an "Orland Square Mall Passenger Facility", probably planned to be something like the CTA terminal at Ford City.

I forgot to mention that as well. It seems fairly unnecessary for what is essentially 3 infrequent routes with 30 & 60 min headways, even during rush and the mall serving as a shelter. Would the Joliet express serve in a capacity similar to 877/888/895 manner?

3 hours ago, west towns said:

Halsted corridor already advancing joint project with CTA  Check Pulse website

I believe it's been up on the CTA website since at least August or September. https://www.transitchicago.com/planning/southhalstedbus/

All the above comments appear correct. On the undefined Joliet Express, the new Joliet TC (apparently finally got state funding) would be adjacent to Joliet Union Station, and Pace is not going to compete with the Metra RID. The South Cook-Will restructuring had proposals for extending 357 to Joliet, and a Weber Rd. flex route to Naperville, but nothing came of that. Maybe time to subsidize consultants again.

The Orland Square TC is probably similar to Golf Mill, as 364, 379, 832, and the On Demand all terminate there.