Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
renardo870

Circle Line Revisited via Amazon

Recommended Posts

If Chicago lands the Amazon HQ2 and it ends up in the Finkle/Goose Island area, would CTA revive the Circle Line in whole or in part, particularly the Northern Area that included the North/Clybourn area, the Clybourn Metra, Division/Milwaukee area and the Ashland/Lake Green/Pink Paulina connection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely not. The consultant couldn't come up with a viable route north of Lake and Paulina 10 years ago, and unlike Musk, Bezos doesn't have a Boring Co. CTA seems too much over its head with the 2 Red Line projects, so unless Jeff personally comes up with the several billion needed to build it....

Any answer is also based on the unlikely odds that Amazon comes here times the odds it would be at Goose Island vs. somewhere like Michael Reese. Note that Amazon has built its distribution centers way out in Will County, not near its customers and workers, for instance. 

What your post implies is that if that site is chosen, it has adequate Metra service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re not getting the Amazon HQ2. Fox 32 just reported on it briefly tonight that it was going to Virginia somewhere and that Amazon will officially announce it after the midterms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BusOps said:

We’re not getting the Amazon HQ2. Fox 32 just reported on it briefly tonight that it was going to Virginia somewhere and that Amazon will officially announce it after the midterms.

I read the Washington Post article.  All signs point that way except the fact there was a  press leak.  Amazon could pick another  site and possibly other finalists are doing a better job of  honoring non disclosure agreements.

According to  Wall Street journal,  New Yor City and Dallas are also in advanced stages of getting HQ2.  I think not having any site close to O'Hare hurt Chicago's chances.  I don't know if  Rahm not running for  reelection was a factor.  The Old Post Office and the development along the Norh Branch weren't conducive to public transportation either.  Oh well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

All signs point that way except the fact there was a  press leak.

That's similar to my father asking "how did the St. Pete Times know that it would be announced tomorrow that it will be getting a baseball team?"  or anything else the press leaks. After I took a PR class, the answer was that one always sends out the press kit in advance to assure that reporters turn up at the press conference (although, with the Internet, that's less necessary).

BTW, the reports of "leaking" are on Twitter, so we know how reliable that is. And nobody is reporting that Amazon is in direct negotiations with Chicago.

Anyway, it looks like @BusOps has the scoop that it's not coming here, and @renardo870 posted a dead topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may not be over yet, as there are reports tonight that there could be 2 HQ2s. Still, it does not seem like Lincoln Yards meets the criterion of ready to open in 2019, although one really doesn't know about HQ2.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Although Amazon is gone, this idea isn't a non-starter. Tribune: City nears takeover of North Side rail line, in move to create new public transit route.

Involves the Chicago Terminal Railroad to Goose Island.

I'm trying to picture demand or generators along the route that would make it non-redundant on weekends. Ogilvie to goose island seems like a shift work or 9-5 type of corridor, at least with the route im picturing in my head from reading this and the map shown. It basically starts near North/Clybourn and Armitage brown so if anything it would serve the same function as a LaSalle Express route (getting people to train stations and business/offices directly without going through the red line or a Michigan express)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I'm trying to picture demand or generators along the route that would make it non-redundant on weekends. Ogilvie to goose island seems like a shift work or 9-5 type of corridor, at least with the route im picturing in my head from reading this and the map shown. It basically starts near North/Clybourn and Armitage brown so if anything it would serve the same function as a LaSalle Express route (getting people to train stations and business/offices)

Since it basically is landbanking for some still to be studied transit corridor, that's probably premature. Depends on what the developers intend to build at Lincoln Yards and Freedom Center, and the clear implication of the article is that the existing services can't handle that. It also points out that the mode of transit is up for study, which may include a busway or a rubber wheel train.

Note the paragraph:

Severe traffic congestion has been a prominent topic during Sterling Bay’s public presentations for its plans to bring 23,000 workers and as many as 5,000 homes to the riverfront land. The developer is proposing more than 12 million square feet of offices and residential towers, retail and entertainment including a 20,000-seat soccer stadium and multiple music venues.

Getting back to that Sterling Bay intended to build offices, with or without Amazon, and entertainment venues, indicates that travel could be bidirectional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Since it basically is landbanking for some still to be studied transit corridor, that's probably premature. Depends on what the developers intend to build at Lincoln Yards and Freedom Center, and the clear implication of the article is that the existing services can't handle that. It also points out that the mode of transit is up for study, which may include a busway or a rubber wheel train.

Note the paragraph:

Severe traffic congestion has been a prominent topic during Sterling Bay’s public presentations for its plans to bring 23,000 workers and as many as 5,000 homes to the riverfront land. The developer is proposing more than 12 million square feet of offices and residential towers, retail and entertainment including a 20,000-seat soccer stadium and multiple music venues.

Getting back to that Sterling Bay intended to build offices, with or without Amazon, indicates that travel could be bidirectional.

I have no doubt what ever gets built around goose island can become a generator. Yes red and brown are smacked on weekday rush but if its a weekend they probably might be the main mode since mag mile or state is more of the destination. It's just would weekends support it considering it's pretty dead between LaSalle and halsted once all the business people are done for the day and on weekends.  Unless a huge swath of west loop,  west side residents suddenly got a need for direct connections between these areas for recreational use that I'm not aware of 😂😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×