Metra wish list.

renardo870

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That doesn't seem to make much since unless its specific to downtown seeing that CN operates freight trains from 16th St south.  And we've known the SS to have borrowed a Metra diesel set in the past.  But you're right that the city wanted the IC to not operate steam engines which is why the IC electrified way back in the 1920s.  Plus they also separated their commuter tracks from the freight tracks. The ME will remain electric for the future.

14 hours ago, west towns said:

amtrak runs diesel south of 12th street.  just a what if.  similar to when amtrak shuttle trai s and pulled with diesels on NEC a few yrs ago

yes, it does apply to the downtown lakefront

10 minutes ago, strictures said:

I don't think so, because when the IC had that freight yard east of the Randolph Station, diesels did all the work, not electric locomotives.

Certainly did have electric locos downtown 1920'-1930"s! Locos went to South Shore as 900-903 in 1941. Also had early diesels which worked out better. Overhead 26th to Randolph but not on all tracks. Supports still there in some places. 

2 hours ago, trainman8119 said:

There are special couplers for the mu cars. The switch engines have them. I am sure you could put them on a diesel

and use them. Like I said, could it-yes, will it-never

I understand that a special coupler is needed but what would supply hotel power for these electric cars. When you posted that switcher pulling highliner, the switcher doesn’t have HEP generator to supple hotel power for doors + AC etc. I remember when metra sold old highliners to a rail company that had plans to use them as gallery cars but found out that they could only be dragged down the rail. Since there was no way to provide brake pressure and 3 phase for hotel power. This makes sense as each car has everything it’s need and you really just need pa communication and train control to make sure all cars are in sequence for the run. It’s almost same principle as the budd rail diesel car.

if City of Chicago really wants to be environmentally friendly they should make Lake Shore Drive to electric vehicles only.  how long ago did the last steam engine run on the IC commuter? cars trucks and buses have more exhaust than 1 train with 800 passengers.  imagine 800 ubers taking its place.

3 hours ago, west towns said:

if City of Chicago really wants to be environmentally friendly they should make Lake Shore Drive to electric vehicles only.  how long ago did the last steam engine run on the IC commuter? cars trucks and buses have more exhaust than 1 train with 800 passengers.  imagine 800 ubers taking its place.

And gridlock traffic and exhaust everywhere else.

exactly so how is the diesel ban on electric line going to save the world.  why not just ban all diesel engines from downtown on all lines.    seems issue is more with fumes in randolph street than trying to keep the lake free of polution.  plus the prominent winds are west to east bringing all that pollution from the interstates roads and rail lines

8 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Certainly did have electric locos downtown 1920'-1930"s! Locos went to South Shore as 900-903 in 1941. Also had early diesels which worked out better. Overhead 26th to Randolph but not on all tracks. Supports still there in some places. 

I often saw the IC's diesels in the open cut Downtown pulling freights.  The IC even had a flyover about where the new McCormick Place building is so the commuter trains could pass over the freight tracks.  Now, no freights go north of the connection to the St. Charles Airline, except for Metra MOW equipment.

I doubt if the South Shore's Little Joes ever went north of Kensington.  They were used for the SS's freight business in Indiana & Hegewisch.

• 3 weeks later...

In electric days South Shore freights stayed south of 115th. However, IC diesels did go on the South Shore as far the spur into Lake Calumet Harbor. 

IC commuter service electrified 1926. Freight north of 29th was supposed to be too but only some switching was until WW2. However the catenary supports were still there until 1960's when Michigan Av yard was closed down, though wire was long gone.