Jump to content
Pace831

Pace New Flyer buses

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if the "half lights' are an option or even standard on New Flyer buses like they are on MCI and Prevost coaches. On the Pace NABIS and Eldorados,  the lights are on on the drivers side and off on the other side.  The right side lights come on whe the doors are opened.  Maybe the Bew Flyers have this also, but my driver chose the full lights due to the cloudy and rainy weather.

All 8 times I rode the XD40's the interior lights were on full mode with the right side having the lights on too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

All 8 times I rode the XD40's the interior lights were on full mode with the right side having the lights on too.

I hadn't realized this at first, but there is a low ceiling that encompasses the front wheel area of the bus.  Beyond that is where the lights begin.  So really the loe ceiling blocks a lot of the light, thus reducing glare.  The front door and driver areas have a high ceiling as well.  If this design reduces or eliminates glare, then there's no need to half lighting.  This makes visibility in the passenger area much better for the passengers and the driver.  It's not the ideal napping lighting, but better lighting is considerably safer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

20452 is on the 318.

So to date there are approximately 50 New Flyers in service.   By the end of the month, hopefully we will have a better idea whether Wrst will actually get all 85 or if another garage is slated to get some.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

why do i have a feeling cta will get these as well from new flyer if new flyer wins the contract?

I don't know.   But if they do , somehow I don't see CTA getting any buses with flushmounted windows 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know.   But if they do , somehow I don't see CTA getting any buses with flushmounted windows 

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they do.  Their buses always have black around the windows so it would make sense if they do that.  

Screenshot_20200724-122414_Gallery.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they do.  Their buses always have black around the windows so it would make sense if they do that.  

Screenshot_20200724-122414_Gallery.jpg

That's funny.  The reason you stated that they WOULD get flushmounted windows is the exact same reason why I think they WON'T get them.  I agree it does make sense.  It was a shock that Pace got them this time.  Their only other flushmounted windows are on Axxess Suburbans and Pulse buses, and the MCI coaches.  These would be a first for CTA.

While CTA has a history of dark colors (green) around the windows, I think the M.A N. Americanas were the first to be delivered with black around the windows.  I think 9974 was the oldest bus to sport that look 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know.   But if they do , somehow I don't see CTA getting any buses with flushmounted windows 

We've already seen the specs on 700/701, so if an order did happen my guess is the windows would look something like that. Only exception would be the passenger windows would be one-piece (no hopper window) similar to SEPTA specs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2014 at 10:08 AM, BusHunter said:

Damn, Does CTA even have any electric charging infrastructure in place? I'm surprised there's no livery. I wonder if that means CTA intends to wrap those like the #5900's for the life of the bus. (should've been painted anyway though) There also has been no payments on the payment database yet AFAIK, so there's no better bus than a free one. :P

 

http://vcsearch.transitchicago.com/vendorContractDetail.php?CONTRACT_NUM=C11FT101141639

 

BTW, here is a list of #700's in service dates and pictures: (last updated 10/30/14)

 

#700 arrived at Kedzie garage 6/11/14, first ran in service 10/30/14 on the #157

post-304-0-44075200-1403628903_thumb.jpg^ post-304-0-35224400-1403628923_thumb.jpg^

post-304-0-59692300-1414710958_thumb.jpgc post-304-0-42151500-1414710969_thumb.jpgc post-304-0-45679600-1414711806_thumb.pngc

(first two pictures arrival at Kedzie garage, last three pictures demonstration outside CTA HQ on 10/29/14)

 

#701 arrived at Kedzie garage 6/12/14, first ran in service 10/29/14 on the #7

post-304-0-35589900-1414698987_thumb.jpg* post-304-0-51150200-1414698999_thumb.jpg* post-304-0-24854700-1414711233_thumb.png

(all three pictures first day in service pictures)

^ - photos courtesy of Bruce Moffat

* - photo courtesy of Stanley Garmon

c - Chicago Transit Authority photo

 

3 hours ago, jesi2282 said:

We've already seen the specs on 700/701, so if an order did happen my guess is the windows would look something like that. Only exception would be the passenger windows would be one-piece (no hopper window) similar to SEPTA specs. 

Based on @jesi2282 post, I would definitely say no flushmounted windows.  Pace's New Flyers look very sharp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

While CTA has a history of dark colors (green) around the windows, I think the M.A N. Americanas were the first to be delivered with black around the windows.  I think 9974 was the oldest bus to sport that look 

A recreation of this livery on a modern bus would be...interesting. I think when I was a kid I drew a D40LF this way.

CTA072879th-Western.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jesi2282 said:

We've already seen the specs on 700/701, so if an order did happen my guess is the windows would look something like that. Only exception would be the passenger windows would be one-piece (no hopper window) similar to SEPTA specs. 

The SEPTA New Flyers are immaculate, down to all the features (ac, info screens, chargers, seats, design, etc). The only improvement could be wifi. CTA getting NF’s identical to SEPTA’s is the best possible outcome imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, WCR said:

A recreation of this livery on a modern bus would be...interesting. I think when I was a kid I drew a D40LF this way.

CTA072879th-Western.jpg

This was a Pace South bus, originally from South Suburban Safeway.   Pace sold some of these buses to CTA.   CTA kept the bus numbers and added their scheme to it.  However the blue striping near the top of the bus is a holdover from the original Pace livery.  I believe that livery was introduced with the Orions and the other buses,  including GMCs and Grunmann Flxbles were repainted in that scheme. The Grumman's had the flushmounted windows and the Orions were the first to have the black around the windows and not be flushmounted  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, artthouwill said:

That's funny.  The reason you stated that they WOULD get flushmounted windows is the exact same reason why I think they WON'T get them.  I agree it does make sense.  It was a shock that Pace got them this time.  Their only other flushmounted windows are on Axxess Suburbans and Pulse buses, and the MCI coaches.  These would be a first for CTA.

While CTA has a history of dark colors (green) around the windows, I think the M.A N. Americanas were the first to be delivered with black around the windows.  I think 9974 was the oldest bus to sport that look 

Actually #9532 started it all as far as the oldest bus, but #9974 was the first chronologically. They were close. I remember #9532 in the early 90's and #9974 around that time as well. I want to say late 80's, but buses were not painted in the red, white, blue livery until I believe 1989 at the earliest., Maybe Andre could tell us for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Actually #9532 started it all as far as the oldest bus, but #9974 was the first chronologically. They were close. I remember #9532 in the early 90's and #9974 around that time as well. I want to say late 80's, but buses were not painted in the red, white, blue livery until I believe 1989 at the earliest., Maybe Andre could tell us for sure.

I thought 9532 was one of the "albinos."?  Also wasn't that the bus that was rebuilt half Flxble?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 1:37 PM, artthouwill said:

I thought 9532 was one of the "albinos."?  Also wasn't that the bus that was rebuilt half Flxble?

Yes it was albino before. According to Andre, it was rehabbed to the Phoenix model specs. Grand Rapids had some this was done by a company in Michigan. The idea later became the nova classic style, with an older style bus marrying a new style bus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...