FastTracks

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Where else would you terminate 305 & 316?  Passengers can catch alternate routes 305, 316, and 57 buses at that same place to go to either Pink or Green Lines.

As for the west end  of 305 at Forest Park,  that route could be extended to Harlem Green Line where it once terminated. 

On 6/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Woah now, this is something I haven't seen. This is from the rerouting of the red in the last 2 years? If so, I wonder why this wasn't seen more

No this was from the total shutdown of Red Line South from May to Oct 2013. Red Line was closed from Roosevelt to 95th for major reconstruction. Red line trains rerouted via 16th St incline to Green Line Ashland/63rd with Green Line running to Cottage Grove only. During weekday rush hours additional Green Line trains operated to Roosevelt (am) and round the Loop via Wells (pm)

On 6/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Woah now, this is something I haven't seen. This is from the rerouting of the red in the last 2 years? If so, I wonder why this wasn't seen more

Yes.  But only during rush periods on some trains due to capacity restraints at 95th related to terminal expansion and construction in 98th Yard.  This routing was also in effect for ALL Red Line trains for 5 months in 2013 as the line was reconstructed from south of Roosevelt to 95th.

Before 1993 this was the routing for Englewood/Howard A trains with Jackson Park/Howard B trains going to 63rd/Stony Island ( cut back to 63rd/University when a crack was found on the bridge over IC Metra Electric tracks).  In 1993 the south end of the Lake/Dan Ryan and Englewood/Jackson Park/Howard were swapped to form the current Green and Red Lines.  In 1994 the entire Green Line was shut down for two years for a rebuild with the structure on 63rd  between Dorchester and Cottage Grove being torn down.  The structure from Kimbark to Dorchester was newer because there were plans to build a new terminal to connect to the NE at Dorchester, but community opposition, mainly from the church located there forced CTA to scale the line back to Cottage Grove when the Green Line  reopened in 1996.

On 6/4/2019 at 3:20 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Why would the 305 & 316 continue to end at Cicero though? I can maybe see an argument for 305, but wouldn't it be more prudent to temporarily extend the 57 to 54th/Cermak along the 316 route?

Additionally, I would also predict

• 320 to Austin (Green)
  • 308 & 327 to Harlem/Lake
  • 301 temporarily takes 305 routing, moved to 54th/Cermak
  • 303, 310 & 317 to 54th/Cermak

I think the 301, 303, 305, 308, 310, 317, and 327 would go to Harlem Green Line.  Its infinitely closer than 54/Cermak.  The only other alternative is to run free CTA shuttles between Forest Park and Harlem Green Line. 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think the 301, 303, 305, 308, 310, 317, and 327 would go to Harlem Green Line.  Its infinitely closer than 54/Cermak.  The only other alternative is to run free CTA shuttles between Forest Park and Harlem Green Line. 

Closer, but space constraints. South Blvd isn't wide enough for holding buses and for other traffic. The space on North Blvd is too small, with existing buses and all these new ones (even if some run infrequently). Even with South & North Blvds, I don't think they have the capacity needs for all these routes, especially with street traffic, even if some of these routes run infrequently. 54th/Cermak has a huge lane for buses that only 1 route currently uses and other buses can move around stopped buses. Pink Line still goes to the loop, so win win. I thought of the Forest Park to Harlem and 54th/Cermak shuttles too, but I wanted to minimize transfers.

Edited by NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Closer, but space constraints. South Blvd isn't wide enough for holding buses and for other traffic. The space on North Blvd is too small, with existing buses and all these new ones (even if some run infrequently). Even with South & North Blvds, I don't think they have the capacity needs for all these routes, especially with street traffic, even if some of these routes run infrequently. 54th/Cermak has a huge lane for buses that only 1 route currently uses and other buses can move around stopped buses. Pink Line still goes to the loop, so win win. I thought of the Forest Park to Harlem and 54th/Cermak shuttles too, but I wanted to minimize transfers.

60 footers would struggle to make a turn onto North Blvd if they are heading north on Harlem.   With 40 footers, it's no problem.

25 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

60 footers would struggle to make a turn onto North Blvd if they are heading north on Harlem.   With 40 footers, it's no problem.

My concern wasn't about the turning radius or the length of the bus. None of the routes being discussed use artics. I meant the literal length of the street. Currently, only two buses end at Harlem/Lake, the 90 & the 757. Now, while the 757 isn't consistent, the 90 is, and so is the 301, 303, 305, 310 & 317. Between the space provided on North Blvd & South Blvd, I don't think there is enough for all 6 routes (90 & those Pace routes) to be there at the same time and they have to compete with on street traffic. However, 54th/Cermak has a long bus lane and only 1 route occupying it.

Actually, there are 7 routes that would take up the limited space at Harlem/Lake since the 318 would almost certainly be truncated during the shutdown. Therefore, 308, 320 & 327 should serve Harlem/Lake, everything else to 54th/Cermak via Desplaines, Harrison/Garfield, Austin, Roosevelt, Central, Cermak, vice versa

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My concern wasn't about the turning radius or the length of the bus. None of the routes being discussed use artics. I meant the literal length of the street. Currently, only two buses end at Harlem/Lake, the 90 & the 757. Now, while the 757 isn't consistent, the 90 is, and so is the 301, 303, 305, 310 & 317. Between the space provided on North Blvd & South Blvd, I don't think there is enough for all 6 routes (90 & those Pace routes) to be there at the same time and they have to compete with on street traffic. However, 54th/Cermak has a long bus lane and only 1 route occupying it.

Actually, there are 7 routes that would take up the limited space at Harlem/Lake since the 318 would almost certainly be truncated during the shutdown. Therefore, 308, 320 & 327 should serve Harlem/Lake, everything else to 54th/Cermak via Desplaines, Harrison/Garfield, Austin, Roosevelt, Central, Cermak, vice versa

Actually, some routes could stage on Circle Blvd where the 757 loads during a.m rush.  Or like I said earlier, Pace could not change anything and CTA could run free shuttle buses (not necessarily artics) between Forest Park and Harlem Green Line.  That eliminates your staging problem at Harlem as those buses could just load and go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Actually, some routes could stage on Circle Blvd where the 757 loads during a.m rush.  Or like I said earlier, Pace could not change anything and CTA could run free shuttle buses (not necessarily artics) between Forest Park and Harlem Green Line.  That eliminates your staging problem at Harlem as those buses could just load and go.

I get that. It's really my personal bias in that I hate having to make multiple transfers and was attempting to avoid that.

• 4 months later...

The 2019 CTA ride-hailing fee report (Fast Tracks funding source) was presented to City Council on July 24th:

https://chicago.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4057979&GUID=34700423-998D-459F-A44B-3B08EB06B521&Options=Advanced&Search=

Number of updates inside, including 

• review of work conducted on a number of lines
  • Upcoming Brown Line project between Western and Kimball
  • Upcoming Blue Line power project
  • Blue Line O'Hare slow zones (already underway)
  • Upcoming Red and Blue Subway renewals
  • Camera, WiFi, and lighting improvements

One thing that stands out as being missing is anything more about the Congress branch. They note some improvements at the tunnel near Central and some other improvements between Kedzie and Pulaski, but not much more. I rode the Congress branch last week and it was in notably rough shape. I understand that the vision plan needs to be coordinated with the expressway project, but certainly the tracks should be upgraded in the meantime. The last I've heard of the expressway project was about two years ago, and even then the project focus was for reconstruction between Hillside and Oak Park with less intensive work in Chicago (mostly restriping a lane to become a toll lane).