Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Good lord, I have a story. I just started work today, and my commute is the 79 + 379 (or 390 if the timing is right). First issue was lack of buses towards Ford City, I got to the stop and I hadn't missed a bus, but a Ford City bus wasn't coming for 25 mins. I boarded one towards Western, and after speaking with a supervisor at 79th, a number of buses are only doing Lakefront-Red Line or Western-Red Line and that a lot of the artics being used aren't actually using the head signs (they're saying "Instruction Bus" or "Chicago My Kind Of Town") so they're not showing up on the tracker and passengers don't know where they're going. My bus was actually ending at the Red Line until the supervisor told her to continue to Western. 

We got to Western where I and several others were waiting for a Ford City bus. During this time, another artic pulled up (w/o headsign) headed WB, came into the terminal with about 5 passengers, held at the Lakefront stop and sat there. Some time after this, a Ford City bus shows up, almost pulls up to the stop. The driver gets out the seat to count the amount of people left, then pulls up and says only the first 5 (there were 7 waiting to board) can get on, although she's at the front of the bus so not everyone outside hears. 5 get on (for 15 total) and a 6th person tries to board and she gets out the seat and starting yelling at him, just full on yelling to get off the bus, social distancing, something about the mayor, can't you hear, etc which prompts the other passengers to yell at her to just go ahead and drive. She's yelling at all of us now, and then says she's not moving until we get him off the bus. Eventually he leaves, and then the worst part: The artic leaves, w/o coming around to the Ford City stop and then heads WB on 79th, the same 5 passengers still on it. And then proceeds to pick no one up. So now, we've left, and there's a person waiting at like each stop btwn Western and the next viaduct, only for the bus driver to stop at each stop and yell through the window "due to social distancing, I can't let you on" so now the passengers are even more disgruntled and everything is a mess. Meanwhile artic ahead of us is finally picking up people, but I'm not sure why they didn't pick anyone up at Western or along that stretch of 79th. Overall, my trip should've been 1hr 20 mins, and was 2hrs 10 mins instead. Not sure what, but something needs to change. 

That is the wildest story i've ever heard, but you left one key thing out, what time of day did this occur?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

That is the wildest story i've ever heard, but you left one key thing out, what time of day did this occur?

I left my house at 9:55a and arrived at FedEx by 11:56a, so during that time period. I want to say I boarded at Western around 10:48a?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I left my house at 9:55a and arrived at FedEx by 11:56a, so during that time period. I want to say I boarded at Western around 10:48a?

What do you think about working at FedEx so far? Did you get in trouble for being late due to your transportation woes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pace831 said:

What do you think about working at FedEx so far? Did you get in trouble for being late due to your transportation woes?

I wasn't late. Benefits of me leaving the house 15-20 mins ahead of when I would've left (which was 10 mins before I needed too), although the lack of ford city buses ate away at this. Tuesday & Wednesday were orientation, today is my first actual day. I'm a tad apprehensive, since this will only be my 2nd job (I've only done internships before) but we're getting $14.75/hr + $2/hr until May 2nd. The way its split is that unloading is "easier" but it's constant work, whereas loading is harder, but your work depends on volume.

Commute when things go ok isn't too bad. The shift times always end at the same time (day sort ends at 6p), but can start anywhere from noon to 2:30. I have to leave a little earlier since the 379 FedEx trip doesn't arrive until 12:30p and we're starting at noon for at least the next two weeks. Lot of people heading there, so far there's been at least 7-9 people on my 79 going to FedEx, and about 20+ getting off the 379 to walk to the facility. They did state that if you're taking the bus, you just need to take a earlier bus. I imagine unfortuantely, that even if the pandemic weren't a thing right now, I'd probably still be getting shafted by the scheduling of Ford City buses. Red Line + Orange Line is my back up if a Ford City bus is taking too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

@YoungBusLover have you ever did the 3 route is it long af like I think it is 

It's not that long to be honest, most runs take on average about an hour and fifteen minutes to do, the route is about 13.5 miles long which is nearly the same length as the 4,8 and 29.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

It's not that long to be honest, most runs take on average about an hour and fifteen minutes to do, the route is about 13.5 miles long which is nearly the same length as the 4,8 and 29.

Aw ok yea cuz it take me bout the same to do my routes just seemed like the 3 was long from Chicago & Michigan to 115th idk what's going on at 7 but it's been a rumor around K that some drivers maybe sent to 7 to help fill in some slots but my supervisor said he haven't heard that just yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Aw ok yea cuz it take me bout the same to do my routes just seemed like the 3 was long from Chicago & Michigan to 115th idk what's going on at 7 but it's been a rumor around K that some drivers maybe sent to 7 to help fill in some slots but my supervisor said he haven't heard that just yet

3 King Drive only goes to 95th and St Lawrence as does a lit of the 4s.  A good number of 4s go to 115th and Cottage Grove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

3 King Drive only goes to 95th and St Lawrence as does a lit of the 4s.  A good number of 4s go to 115th and Cottage Grove.

Trip to 115th have been brutal during this pandemic especially when you don't have relief at 79th.

15 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Aw ok yea cuz it take me bout the same to do my routes just seemed like the 3 was long from Chicago & Michigan to 115th idk what's going on at 7 but it's been a rumor around K that some drivers maybe sent to 7 to help fill in some slots but my supervisor said he haven't heard that just yet

Yeah there's a lot of rumors going around at this point, normally it's just rumors and speculation, I haven't heard about any of that going at 77th and I would of noticed by now, the only time I've witnessed operators from different garages coming over to help out was a few weeks ago. There were a few operators that came over from 74th to help out on 79th after they finished there runs on the 75, other than that I haven't heard much or seen much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

3 King Drive only goes to 95th and St Lawrence as does a lit of the 4s.  A good number of 4s go to 115th and Cottage Grove.

That's what I was thinking bout them could have sworn the 3 goes to 115th but you definitely right that's the 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Trip to 115th have been brutal during this pandemic especially when you don't have relief at 79th.

Yeah there's a lot of rumors going around at this point, normally it's just rumors and speculation, I haven't heard about any of that going at 77th and I would of noticed by now, the only time I've witnessed operators from different garages coming over to help out was a few weeks ago. There were a few operators that came over from 74th to help out on 79th after they finished there runs on the 75, other than that I haven't heard much or seen much.

Aw ok I was just seeing if anyone else heard this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Trip to 115th have been brutal during this pandemic especially when you don't have relief at 79th.

Yeah there's a lot of rumors going around at this point, normally it's just rumors and speculation, I haven't heard about any of that going at 77th and I would of noticed by now, the only time I've witnessed operators from different garages coming over to help out was a few weeks ago. There were a few operators that came over from 74th to help out on 79th after they finished there runs on the 75, other than that I haven't heard much or seen much.

& Far as having a relief don't remind me I just dealt with that the other day on the 82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

& Far as having a relief don't remind me I just dealt with that the other day on the 82

All then stop signs HURT on the 82 😩

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked with some of the guys & ladies I worked with on the rails & they was saying how more & more homeless people are camping out on the trains now I've seen my fair share of homeless on the trains but today I went riding along with 1 of then I gave some tips too when they first started & I did see alot of homeless people on the train camping out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Talked with some of the guys & ladies I worked with on the rails & they was saying how more & more homeless people are camping out on the trains now I've seen my fair share of homeless on the trains but today I went riding along with 1 of then I gave some tips too when they first started & I did see alot of homeless people on the train camping out

Heard the same sentiment today from a 79 supervisor at the red line about "hotel CTA". Incidentally, a supervisor failed to notify passengers yesterday morning that WB buses weren't stopping on the bridge due to the funeral procession and caused a minor hubub of passengers jay-running across Lafayette to catch the bus. Priorities, ig. It's weird to be a regular CTA rider again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Heard the same sentiment today from a 79 supervisor at the red line about "hotel CTA". Incidentally, a supervisor failed to notify passengers yesterday morning that WB buses weren't stopping on the bridge due to the funeral procession and caused a minor hubub of passengers jay-running across Lafayette to catch the bus. Priorities, ig. It's weird to be a regular CTA rider again.

Lol yes that caused a big problem failing to set things the right way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, having now gone to this facility 4 days in a row, here are some other minor things I noticed:

  • There's been an uptick in the number of buses going to Wentworth on the 79
  • The stimulus artics can't rope off the seat behind the driver, which was sort of pointless anyway
    • I'm seeing an uptick in drivers electing not to use the barrier btwn them and the rest of the bus (still doing rear-door boarding tho)
  • CTA should really look into the 79 doing FedEx trips or maybe having the 169 stop at 79th/Sayre or go to the facility, there is a lot of people doing the 79/379 transfer. There's at least 10 people doing the walk across Cicero in the morning and around 20+ getting off the 379. Afternoon/evenings have been insane, close to 30 people waiting at the stop and 20 of that number then getting on the 79. About 10-15 folks also take the 386, all going too/from Midway. Most of this group seem to board the Orange line rather than transfer buses. The current 379 "F" trips are absolutely useless right now for the most part as well, although this has more to do with the fact that the facility is liable to change start times for extended periods of time.
  • The 59 does it's reliefs at Ashland/59th, which seems sort of weird to me. I figure they would've done it at Damen or California.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When by the boneyard to day & to take pics of what I can see now since some artics left the boneyard I see 7929-8043 with no windshield 8023 with plastic over it 8118 in the boneyard for some reason 6227 with 2 4400 series next to it 6043 & 804 parked in the boneyard

IMG_20200424_185808273.jpg

IMG_20200424_185759203.jpg

IMG_20200424_185136049_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200424_185507029_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200424_185047254.jpg

IMG_20200424_185025184.jpg

IMG_20200424_184855146.jpg

IMG_20200424_184754317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200424_184807597.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

@Shannoncvpi What's that artic with no face?

That's 4323 it was in a head on crash with a dump truck when it was brand on on 6/27/13 major frame damage from the crash & CFD having to cut the driver out so it was immediately retired but can't be sold for scrap due to FTA rules so it just because a parts bus to all of the 4300 series 

Edited by Shannoncvpi
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question about I complaint I've received I got today I was on the 52 this morning and when I turned on kedize off Chicago I seen a man that was blind with a seeing eye dog beautiful Shepard anyways I opened the front door & dropped the bus for him I passenger started tripping about & talking bs I told him to be quiet & stay back I got this when the man started sending threats I did what I did last time put the bus in park & told him let's step off the bus since he wants to send threats another passenger called in on me do anyone know what kinda of discipline I may face if any at all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Question about I complaint I've received I got today I was on the 52 this morning and when I turned on kedize off Chicago I seen a man that was blind with a seeing eye dog beautiful Shepard anyways I opened the front door & dropped the bus for him I passenger started tripping about & talking bs I told him to be quiet & stay back I got this when the man started sending threats I did what I did last time put the bus in park & told him let's step off the bus since he wants to send threats another passenger called in on me do anyone know what kinda of discipline I may face if any at all 

Wow.  Since I don't work for CTA, I can't say for sure.  The proper things to do was either ignore him. Put him off the bus. Or call the police if you felt threatened.   What you did, though understandable, wasn't professional.   You could actually have been perceived as the aggressor even though you didn't start this.

I know you recently started with CTA.  As a probationary employee. CTA could terminate you.  Whether they do or not is up to them.  Other CTA drivers on this forum can better answer that, but I think if it weren't for coronavirus,  the chances of you being fired would be greater.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

 

  • The 59 does it's reliefs at Ashland/59th, which seems sort of weird to me. I figure they would've done it at Damen or California.

Why would a route out of 74th reliving at Ashland be weird. That's always been a thing everything east-west from 74th #59 included

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...