Jump to content
Pace831

How COVID-19 affects transit

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The Metra electric was running two cars around Jeffery/71st. The resident that was in my uber car remarked that that was a short train. I think they run 4 cars regularly. Didnt see any passengers. 

 

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

To the Metra point, I haven't seen any ME trains with passengers, I've seen the SS & Main branch twice each, but neither train was stopped, so I probably missed something. Haven't seen 2-car trains though

The SWS trains (at least, the ones to Manhattan) seem to be down to six cars each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

Another garage assignment I find strange is the 20 at C when it's so close to K. 29 at 103rd is a similar situation, but I'm assuming that's so it can interline with other 103rd routes at the 95th terminal. I also find the 157 at C a bit strange, but C to the northern terminus at Erie/Lake Shore is almost a straight shot along Chicago, and C to the future terminus at Pulaski is a straight shot along Pulaski. I don't see these kinds of benefits with the 20 at C.

Speaking of the 54B, how much does it make sense to move its northern terminal to the 16th/Cicero turnaround that the 18 uses? It would give 54B riders a connection to the Pink Line. Also, when more electric buses are rolled out, a charging station can be installed at the turnaround for both routes 18 and 54B.

C probably has the room that kedzie doesnt. Kedzie always had space issues do to them being so rush heavy and taking on a lot of former NP and limits work. So buses kedzie would have to move something like one of the peak direction lake shore routes to have enough rush equipment to handle Madison. Plus Chicago wouldn't have much work left if you took 20 away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Another garage assignment I find strange is the 20 at C when it's so close to K. 29 at 103rd is a similar situation, but I'm assuming that's so it can interline with other 103rd routes at the 95th terminal. I also find the 157 at C a bit strange, but C to the northern terminus at Erie/Lake Shore is almost a straight shot along Chicago, and C to the future terminus at Pulaski is a straight shot along Pulaski. I don't see these kinds of benefits with the 20 at C.

Speaking of the 54B, how much does it make sense to move its northern terminal to the 16th/Cicero turnaround that the 18 uses? It would give 54B riders a connection to the Pink Line. Also, when more electric buses are rolled out, a charging station can be installed at the turnaround for both routes 18 and 54B.

I wondered the same thing about the 20.  The only reason I can come up with is capacity at K.  That certainly came into play when they moved the 157 from K to C.

As for the 54B, your idea seems to be a good idea, although 54B riders can easily get off at Cermak and make the short 1/4 block walk to the CTA Pink Line.   There has to be a reason Cermak and Kenton is a Terminal.   Pace 302 also terminates there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I wondered the same thing about the 20.  The only reason I can come up with is capacity at K.  That certainly came into play when they moved the 157 from K to C.

As for the 53B, your idea seems to be a good idea, although 54B riders can easily get off at Cermak and make the short 1/4 block walk to the CTA Pink Line.   There has to be a reason Cermak and Kenton is a Terminal.   Pace 302 also terminates there.

Add the 92. That`s an old one that I could never figure out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

Add the 92. That`s an old one that I could never figure out.

It's odd because it passes right by North Park.  But because FG is so close to Jefferson Park Blue Lune, operating from there doesn't require any short turns.

At one time, the 8A operated out of Beverly even though the north Terminal was right by 77th garage .  Of course when 103rdopened the 8A shifted to 77th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

Add the 92. That`s an old one that I could never figure out.

 

33 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It's odd because it passes right by North Park.  But because FG is so close to Jefferson Park Blue Lune, operating from there doesn't require any short turns.

I think some 92 runs are operated by North Park, mainly the school trips for Northside High School. But it does make more sense for a garage to be at the end of the route than the middle.

I wonder if it makes sense for Routes 146 and 148 to run as Route 92 between NP and Berwyn Red Line instead of just deadheading. Since the bus has to run via Foster anyway, you might as well pick up some passengers. I'm sorry if I'm going too off-topic, but since someone mentioned Route 92, I thought I might just mention it. Feel free to move my post to a different topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

 

I think some 92 runs are operated by North Park, mainly the school trips for Northside High School. But it does make more sense for a garage to be at the end of the route than the middle.

I wonder if it makes sense for Routes 146 and 148 to run as Route 92 between NP and Berwyn Red Line instead of just deadheading. Since the bus has to run via Foster anyway, you might as well pick up some passengers. I'm sorry if I'm going too off-topic, but since someone mentioned Route 92, I thought I might just mention it. Feel free to move my post to a different topic.

It certainly wouldn't hurt .

Other examples if bus routes crossing garages included the 4 Cottage Grove  (when 52nd/Cottage Grove  was open) and the. 22 Clark ( when Limits was open).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I'm not saying any of those are worse than C.  They actually might be better than C.  

I was responding out loud more than to you, my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Another garage assignment I find strange is the 20 at C when it's so close to K. 29 at 103rd is a similar situation, but I'm assuming that's so it can interline with other 103rd routes at the 95th terminal. I also find the 157 at C a bit strange, but C to the northern terminus at Erie/Lake Shore is almost a straight shot along Chicago, and C to the future terminus at Pulaski is a straight shot along Pulaski. I don't see these kinds of benefits with the 20 at C.

Speaking of the 54B, how much does it make sense to move its northern terminal to the 16th/Cicero turnaround that the 18 uses? It would give 54B riders a connection to the Pink Line. Also, when more electric buses are rolled out, a charging station can be installed at the turnaround for both routes 18 and 54B.

 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I wondered the same thing about the 20.  The only reason I can come up with is capacity at K.  That certainly came into play when they moved the 157 from K to C.

As for the 54B, your idea seems to be a good idea, although 54B riders can easily get off at Cermak and make the short 1/4 block walk to the CTA Pink Line.   There has to be a reason Cermak and Kenton is a Terminal.   Pace 302 also terminates there.

The 54B ends at Cermak/Kenton because of what @artthouwill said. The alternative would be riders having no connection to the Pink line and being forced to rely on the 54 to make up that gap, a slower ride on the 60 to the loop or taking the 35 to the Orange line. Ideally, the 54B & 302 would both end at 54th/Cermak with the 322. I guess CTA felt there was no need for duplication. Also worth noting that the 54B has terminated at Cermak/Kilbourn since its conversion to bus service (and possibly before then), as far back as 1945

EDIT: Misread the terminals, my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It certainly wouldn't hurt .

Other examples if bus routes crossing garages included the 4 Cottage Grove  (when 52nd/Cottage Grove  was open) and the. 22 Clark ( when Limits was open).

But they did run 36 Broadway out of Limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, strictures said:

But they did run 36 Broadway out of Limits.

 

4 minutes ago, strictures said:

But they did run 36 Broadway out of Limits.

I remember the streetcars out of Limits but not the buses unless I am having a senior moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, strictures said:

But they did run 36 Broadway out of Limits.

It was a shared route.  Buses that short turned st Broadway/Waveland came out if Limits and the Devon trips came from North Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It was a shared route.  Buses that short turned st Broadway/Waveland came out if Limits and the Devon trips came from North Park.

Was that when it first converted to buses and through routed to 119th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Sam92 said:

Well if an artic from Chicago pop up on 54B that'll answer everything lmao

Congratulations on your prophetic ability, 4135 is on the 54B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a SB 3 today at 76th. After admittedly driving somewhat slow, two girls other girls who were riding, proceeds to blast off on the bus driver for going slow (he later revealed he was 15 mins ahead of schedule). I couldn't have been more than 5 years older than them (I'm 21) but it was shocking, just 3 blocks of absolutely profane language and yelling until they got off at 79th st, also pulling the cherry on the way out. Said driver began talking (ranting) to my grandmother about it all the way to 95th, where I found out that some buses are short-turning at 93rd and that bus drivers are sometimes being reprimanded by on-site supervisors for being too far away from each other (there was another 3 who passed us somewhere around 81st)

Bus drivers were also exercising their ability to skip stops, we left some people on a WB 95 and on a NB 4 (although there was space for people to sit apart, 4 folks decided to congregate in the rear doorwell)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I took a SB 3 today at 76th. After admittedly driving somewhat slow, two girls other girls who were riding, proceeds to blast off on the bus driver for going slow (he later revealed he was 15 mins ahead of schedule). I couldn't have been more than 5 years older than them (I'm 21) but it was shocking, just 3 blocks of absolutely profane language and yelling until they got off at 79th st, also pulling the cherry on the way out. Said driver began talking (ranting) to my grandmother about it all the way to 95th, where I found out that some buses are short-turning at 93rd and that bus drivers are sometimes being reprimanded by on-site supervisors for being too far away from each other (there was another 3 who passed us somewhere around 81st)

Bus drivers were also exercising their ability to skip stops, we left some people on a WB 95 and on a NB 4 (although there was space for people to sit apart, 4 folks decided to congregate in the rear doorwell)

I had that on the 82 Monday I was 7 mins ahead of schedule & a guy started talking big bs & when I told him I was ahead of schedule that's why I was we was sitting at Madison & Homan he jumped up & said I whoop you called me all types of names & started walking towards me &  by me being a marine & from the hood I don't back down so  I put the bus in park & said let's step off this bus & throw them hands a few other passengers called 12 so he took off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Congratulations on your prophetic ability, 4135 is on the 54B

My jokes always have a way of coming true 😂😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The #4 was looking pretty bad the other day. Was out at 79th where a bus had either broke down or was waiting for a relief that was a no show. Saw about 15 people get on a bus headed north a 40 footer. Then I saw a #4 headed south with most of the seats full. I was thinking where are the artics? If you ask me i've seen the most people on 63rd and Cottage routes.

I think 74th pretty much has given up on the #6800's, saw multiple NF's as warming buses  55th/ashland, 47th/ashland even saw one at the Orange line all NF's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The #4 was looking pretty bad the other day. Was out at 79th where a bus had either broke down or was waiting for a relief that was a no show. Saw about 15 people get on a bus headed north a 40 footer. Then I saw a #4 headed south with most of the seats full. I was thinking where are the artics? If you ask me i've seen the most people on 63rd and Cottage routes.

I think 74th pretty much has given up on the #6800's, saw multiple NF's as warming buses  55th/ashland, 47th/ashland even saw one at the Orange line all NF's.

77th is definitely not utilizing their artics, I've seen more than 5 active at once in a couple of days. Driver inexperience maybe? Right now there are only two out, on the 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

77th is definitely not utilizing their artics, I've seen more than 5 active at once in a couple of days. Driver inexperience maybe? Right now there are only two out, on the 8

Kind of nuts the #8 is not really experiencing crowding issues on the south side. Maybe on the north side? 

I forgot theres some construction on cottage  at 61st which is like driving an artic at the cta roadeo. I know I drove my bus through there, not fun. I used to do alot of university of chicago charters. Cottage is a pretty wide street. If anything I would think the problems would be on 79th. Kind of weird I havent been to 95th since all this virus stuff got started wonder how they are doing 95th is a busy street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Kind of nuts the #8 is not really experiencing crowding issues on the south side. Maybe on the north side? 

I forgot theres some construction on cottage  at 61st which is like driving an artic at the cta roadeo. I know I drove my bus through there, not fun. I used to do alot of university of chicago charters. Cottage is a pretty wide street. If anything I would think the problems would be on 79th. Kind of weird I havent been to 95th since all this virus stuff got started wonder how they are doing 95th is a busy street. 

95th is only busy near the train all routes can manage without artics individually 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Kind of nuts the #8 is not really experiencing crowding issues on the south side. Maybe on the north side? 

I forgot theres some construction on cottage  at 61st which is like driving an artic at the cta roadeo. I know I drove my bus through there, not fun. I used to do alot of university of chicago charters. Cottage is a pretty wide street. If anything I would think the problems would be on 79th. Kind of weird I havent been to 95th since all this virus stuff got started wonder how they are doing 95th is a busy street. 

I go to the jewel's over there since its nicer than the one at 75th/Stony. The drivers just go through slowly, but not major issues. I haven't been on Halsted so I don't know how busy the bus is.

28 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

95th is only busy near the train all routes can manage without artics individually 

Having gone to evergreen park nearly 3 days in a row now, I can attest to this. I haven't seen any real crowding issues except for the 95 and 352. 111 & 115 running near empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Kind of nuts the #8 is not really experiencing crowding issues on the south side. Maybe on the north side? 

I forgot theres some construction on cottage  at 61st which is like driving an artic at the cta roadeo. I know I drove my bus through there, not fun. I used to do alot of university of chicago charters. Cottage is a pretty wide street. If anything I would think the problems would be on 79th. Kind of weird I havent been to 95th since all this virus stuff got started wonder how they are doing 95th is a busy street. 

Yea construction got it messed over over there I live over with my lady & daughter now & I bet it is wild driving a artic through there hell it's not fun driving my car through there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...